Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Could someone actually pull-off "Candyman"?

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!

Could someone actually pull-off "Candyman"?

So....my friend and I were having a discussion over dinner a few weeks ago about the infamous T/M "Candyman" program (not the equally horrible horror movie of the same name). The question came up: was it just plain terrible or was it terrible because the team couldn't pull it off? Could someone have actually made this somewhat successful (or at least less cringeworthy)?

We started debating whether certain teams would have made this into a halfway decent program. She thought Seguin/Bilodeau could pull it off (I'm not sure). I thought Marchei/Hotarek would have at least made it fun and could have "sold" the program a bit. I still think it was kind of terrible in a non-salvageable way - the music, the costumes, the awkward music cuts....

Thoughts?

~

0 Not allowed!
    Only the ones at Honeydukes.

0 Not allowed!
    either of the Italian teams....

I don't see the Chinese nor the Russians doing it well... maybe the Austrians

On the Ice

8 Not allowed!
    I actually think Savchenko/Massot could also have made more of the program, but it still would have been terrible.
    I have a weird conspiracy theory that maybe Robin was trying to do Aljona a favor by giving T/M that program....

Rinkside

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 4everchan View Post
    I don't see the Chinese nor the Russians doing it well... maybe the Austrians
    I think Peng/Jin will pull off, My Drag was something.

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mdk0144 View Post
    I think Peng/Jin will pull off, My Drag was something.
    my drag was great... but candyman is completely at another level LOL

I stan the hug of skating Gods Alchamei's Avatar

16 Not allowed!
    Oh yeah, I can imagine someone using that music well, definietly for exhibiton but also for competitive skate. Someone like Marchei/Hotárek would sell the hell out of it.

That being said, I don't want anyone to use that music in near future. I've developed an allergy for that music. I remember hearing it once in the supermarket when I was waiting in the line and I froze so much I almost forgot to leave.

Rinkside

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 4everchan View Post
    my drag was great... but candyman is completely at another level LOL
    Definitely, it is at another level LMAO🤣🤣🤣
    I can’t even forget the first time I saw it.

4 Not allowed!
    Marchei/Hotarek!!!! And it would be fantastic.

When I think of Bruno shaking his behind to it....no, give me Vladimir any time!

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyB View Post
    Marchei/Hotarek!!!! And it would be fantastic.

When I think of Bruno shaking his behind to it....no, give me Vladimir any time!
    exactly... Aljona and Robin could have done it they've done worse LOL but Bruno.... ouf... let's praise him for what he can do and not imagine him in things he never had to deal with like Candyman thank you skating gods.

Bona Fide Member

7 Not allowed!
    I've had similar discussions with fellow FS fans and people with no interest/knowledge of it at all - and most of them concluded with statements that 'Candyman' itself could make a great program, BUT for a) right team, b) right packaging and c) proper arrangement/complimentary music.

Who could actually 'pull it off'? Without a doubt, Valentina and Ondrej - or any pair with that kind of sassy attitude, strong presence that leads performances, pair with acting/character-portraying abilities. BUT (again) - with proper arrangement, waaaay less busy music cuts and let's say styling the wholesome to more pin-up direction than kids' carnival party this could work with teams I would not pegged for dynamic aesthetic. Another thing is to balance out this kind of specific aesthetic of program to place elements strategically and with music AND to make the performance flow; also regarding music - it's always better to avoid 'cringe factor' when choosing music with lyrics (still have a good laugh portraying Vladimir and 'Nasty Boy' ).

I think that one of the best 'dynamic'/sassy and character-driven programs are Valentina/Ondrej's SP and Aljona/Bruno's SP from last season - I think they both had enough time to present (and sell) both technical and performance merits. Complimentary with great costuming, vivid expression, interaction between each other, keeping up with rhythm/tempo. This leads me to another thought - that such dynamic pieces are way more 'accessible' in SP than in FS, there's just enough space to focus on one song, making it more cohesive as a program and easier to pull off in my opinion.

9 Not allowed!
    Yes I agree with M/H. Val would smashed it.

I think Zhiganshina/Gazsi (German Ice Dancers) would be fun to watch too. They did almost everythings during their time.

Bona Fide Member

6 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinning View Post
    Yes I agree with M/H. Val would smashed it.

I think Zhiganshina/Gazsi (German Ice Dancers) would be fun to watch too. They did almost everythings during their time.
    Maybe also Piper and Paul would make a good 'Candyman' type of program? I totally see their quirky style accommodating this aesthetic, well - after that Disco SD they are certified to pull anything in my book

On the Ice

4 Not allowed!
    no.

vulgarity doesn't become anyone.

vale and ondrej are great at doing fun programs but this abomination is not something they should ever touch.

Bona Fide Member

9 Not allowed!
    Marchei and Hotarek, as others have suggested!

Part of the reason Candyman was such a travesty is that Russians do not have the personality to pull it off ... Evgenia gave it a good go, but Vladimir looked like he hated his life and was going through the motions.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast