Could someone actually pull-off "Candyman"? | Golden Skate

Could someone actually pull-off "Candyman"?

SmallAminal

On the Ice
So....my friend and I were having a discussion over dinner a few weeks ago about the infamous T/M "Candyman" program (not the equally horrible horror movie of the same name). The question came up: was it just plain terrible or was it terrible because the team couldn't pull it off? Could someone have actually made this somewhat successful (or at least less cringeworthy)?

We started debating whether certain teams would have made this into a halfway decent program. She thought Seguin/Bilodeau could pull it off (I'm not sure). I thought Marchei/Hotarek would have at least made it fun and could have "sold" the program a bit. I still think it was kind of terrible in a non-salvageable way - the music, the costumes, the awkward music cuts....

Thoughts?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
either of the Italian teams....

I don't see the Chinese nor the Russians doing it well... maybe the Austrians

SmallAminal

On the Ice
I actually think Savchenko/Massot could also have made more of the program, but it still would have been terrible.
I have a weird conspiracy theory that maybe Robin was trying to do Aljona a favor by giving T/M that program....

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Oh yeah, I can imagine someone using that music well, definietly for exhibiton but also for competitive skate. Someone like Marchei/Hotárek would sell the hell out of it.

That being said, I don't want anyone to use that music in near future. I've developed an allergy for that music. I remember hearing it once in the supermarket when I was waiting in the line and I froze so much I almost forgot to leave.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Marchei/Hotarek!!!! And it would be fantastic.

When I think of Bruno shaking his behind to it....no, give me Vladimir any time! :laugh:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Marchei/Hotarek!!!! And it would be fantastic.

When I think of Bruno shaking his behind to it....no, give me Vladimir any time! :laugh:

exactly... Aljona and Robin could have done it ;) they've done worse LOL but Bruno.... ouf... let's praise him for what he can do and not imagine him in things he never had to deal with like Candyman :) thank you skating gods.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I've had similar discussions with fellow FS fans and people with no interest/knowledge of it at all - and most of them concluded with statements that 'Candyman' itself could make a great program, BUT for a) right team, b) right packaging and c) proper arrangement/complimentary music.

Who could actually 'pull it off'? Without a doubt, Valentina and Ondrej - or any pair with that kind of sassy attitude, strong presence that leads performances, pair with acting/character-portraying abilities. BUT (again) - with proper arrangement, waaaay less busy music cuts and let's say styling the wholesome to more pin-up direction than kids' carnival party this could work with teams I would not pegged for dynamic aesthetic. Another thing is to balance out this kind of specific aesthetic of program to place elements strategically and with music AND to make the performance flow; also regarding music - it's always better to avoid 'cringe factor' when choosing music with lyrics (still have a good laugh portraying Vladimir and 'Nasty Boy' :laugh:).

I think that one of the best 'dynamic'/sassy and character-driven programs are Valentina/Ondrej's SP and Aljona/Bruno's SP from last season - I think they both had enough time to present (and sell) both technical and performance merits. Complimentary with great costuming, vivid expression, interaction between each other, keeping up with rhythm/tempo. This leads me to another thought - that such dynamic pieces are way more 'accessible' in SP than in FS, there's just enough space to focus on one song, making it more cohesive as a program and easier to pull off in my opinion.

Spinning

On the Ice
Yes I agree with M/H. Val would smashed it.

I think Zhiganshina/Gazsi (German Ice Dancers) would be fun to watch too. They did almost everythings during their time.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker

I think Zhiganshina/Gazsi (German Ice Dancers) would be fun to watch too. They did almost everythings during their time.

Maybe also Piper and Paul would make a good 'Candyman' type of program? I totally see their quirky style accommodating this aesthetic, well - after that Disco SD they are certified to pull anything in my book :laugh:

snd

On the Ice
no.

vulgarity doesn't become anyone.

vale and ondrej are great at doing fun programs but this abomination is not something they should ever touch.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Marchei and Hotarek, as others have suggested!

Part of the reason Candyman was such a travesty is that Russians do not have the personality to pull it off ... Evgenia gave it a good go, but Vladimir looked like he hated his life and was going through the motions.

Piett

Rinkside
Savchenko/Szolkowy could have pulled it off. "Pink Panther" was much more cheesy than "Candyman" but they somehow made it work.

Now imagine Zhenya in the pink bodysuit and Volodya in the police uniform. They would be so uncomfortable.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
No. The music is so trashy it distracts from the actual skating. Please no one skate to it again.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Yes, but with thousands of other much better songs that have never been used in skating, why encourage it?

I beg skaters and choreographers to expand their horizons and get better taste, please!!!

Scrufflet

Final Flight

Very interesting choice! I like! And I must say I miss Zhi/Gaz. They were really refreshing!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Rather than a pair, how about a lady?

Ivett Tóth, perhaps?

But I would prefer not to hear it again.