Could someone actually pull-off "Candyman"? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Could someone actually pull-off "Candyman"?

lesnar001

Record Breaker
Kaetlyn Osmond was way ahead of her time with Candyman...complete with Pogo-splat midway through lol:

https://youtu.be/MN01KrNWHFo

her infamous front page photo even made headline news and stirred up controversy the next day:eek::

https://heavy.com/news/2013/03/teenage-figure-skaters-photo-has-canada-in-a-twist/
I loved it - she was having so much fun with it! Great job.

And she had the wisdom to use it for an exhibition - not a competitive program.

And she even made headlines with it, and she had the perfect reaction to the "so-called" controversy.

So the moral is - sometimes "Candyman" can be used for good and not evil :hap10:

Kaetlyn's "Candyman" >>>>>>>> T&M's "Candyman"

mrrice

Record Breaker
I think Haven and Brandon could pull it off. How are they doing these days??

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Epps & Gilman's Candyman program in juveniles at Lake Placid and U.S. Nationals was probably my favorite juvenile free dance this season. (I'm pretty sure they were the team). Unfortunately, I don't see a video on youtube; though the juvenile free dance should be available on Ice Network at the moment. Likely gone soon, since Ice Network is shutting down.

Anyway, these pictures say it all, IMO. The cuteness factor for these two kids is a ten.

https://photos.ice-dance.com/2017-18/17LPIDC/Juv/FDRE/17LPIDC-JuvFD--0960-RE.jpg.php

https://photos.ice-dance.com/2017-18/17LPIDC/Juv/FD/17LPIDC-JuvFD-0685-EG-MH.jpg.php

http://photos.ice-dance.com/2017-18/17LPIDC/Juv/FD/17LPIDC-JuvFD-0774-EG-MH.jpg.php

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Ryan Bradley, the year he won US Nationals, skated his SP with great flair to 'Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy', the song that inspired 'Candyman', and received a great reception.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Ryan Bradley, the year he won US Nationals, skated his SP with great flair to 'Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy', the song that inspired 'Candyman', and received a great reception.

Those are two completely different things there. BWBB is appropriate, Candyman is not.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I was actually way more negative about the other music cuts in that program than Candyman. The Nasty boy part was especially difficult because Vladimir did not seem to know how to pull that off. I think if you are going to do a program like Candyman you have to at least act the part and to me Vladimir never did. I thought Evgenia was trying and I give her big points for that. Also..the costumes did not help at all. I half expected Vlad to have some clown shoes to go along with that tie.

Having said that I think the program was the problem and that T/M are really good skaters with great lines and beautiful elements. I just don't understand the packaging. I'm really not sure anyone could have done that program and not had it be cringeworthy so I don't blame T/M. I just think it was the wrong program for them.

I love boogie woogie bugle boy and know all the words. Thank you to the Divine Miss Midler. I do think it inspired Candyman.

GrandmaCC

On the Ice
I actually think Savchenko/Massot could also have made more of the program, but it still would have been terrible.
I have a weird conspiracy theory that maybe Robin was trying to do Aljona a favor by giving T/M that program....

Lol your last sentence made me crack up with laughter!! I hadn’t thought of that :p

But yes, I do think that Aljona and Bruno could totally rock Candyman. Mayyyybe not the exact cut/cuts/million and one cuts that T&M used, but just the actual Candyman song.
And maybe for a short program too instead of a long. I don’t know if anyone can sell four minutes of Candyman.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
As the resident (and only, it would appear) fan of Candyman I still maintain it was the lyrics that gave that program such a bad name.

Now, I'd never heard the song before, so the first few times I saw the program I couldn't actually make them out - because I was concentrating on the skating. Once I did I could see why it wasn't well received. Dodgy lyrics never go over well (having said thought, there's so many songs out there where the music is really catchy, but you listen closely and it's like "Wait what? Are they singing about cocaine/hookers/murder?!")

However, I will defend their costumes! I thought they were a breath of fresh air and so fun! :biggrin: I love polka-dots!

For a while I tried to find Candyman without audible lyrics just so I could see how the program would look, but I couldn't...

To answer the actual question though...I could see Vanessa and Morgan pulling it off...they've got the personality :laugh: they probably wouldn't wear polka-dots while doing so. ;)

I've got my fingers crossed for awesome programs for T/M this year!

Eclair

Medalist
a female skater? No.

But I could see Adam or. Chafik skating to Candy man and making it work in a comical way.

Ksenia and Fedor could pull it off, too.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
either of the Italian teams....

I don't see the Chinese nor the Russians doing it well... maybe the Austrians

I guess you mean Cappellini/Lanotte or Marchei/Hotarek. I can't see Della Monica/Guarise doing it that well, although I don't think they would have been any less suited to it than T/M.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I actually think Savchenko/Massot could also have made more of the program, but it still would have been terrible.
I have a weird conspiracy theory that maybe Robin was trying to do Aljona a favor by giving T/M that program....

:rofl: I’ve been pimping out that same theory around here since the GP season began last year.

shmay

On the Ice
Russians do not have the personality to pull it off

Those Russians do not have the personality to pull it off. There are plenty of Russian skaters from the past that could pull that kind of program off to some degree. Krylova/Ovsiannikov, Lobacheva/Averbukh, Grishuk/Platov come to mind.

- - - Updated - - -

Ksenia and Fedor could pull it off, too.

Bahahahahahahahahahaha