Could someone actually pull-off "Candyman"? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Could someone actually pull-off "Candyman"?

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Christina has a very distinctive voice but unfortunately the music cuts of some of her songs are less than ideal for an FS program. Here is an example from another program. I do however like how her 'Mercy on Me', from the same album as Candyman BTW, worked with B/S Blues SD.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I wasn't saying all Russians couldn't pull off Candyman - but those were some CHOICE examples of Russian teams who could! :laugh:

I mean, maybe if a Leonova and her AU male counterpart did it (I.e. she's one of the few "fun"/"quirky"/"personality-driven" Russians I could think of who would bring out the fun and sass in a committed, non-awkward way).

Who's the AU male counterpart?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Well I'm not sure about who to choose now but this team - one of Canada's favorite pair teams who could pull off any comedic routine for sure:

Isabelle Brasseur and Lloyd Eisler

This program has Lloyd and Isabelle featured in a special show called Chrysler Dreams on Ice from 1997.

https://youtu.be/dWRIqGqnz_o

Here is another of their Gems

https://youtu.be/4nrbbuq7Y0U

It takes a certain kind of skater to pull off the "Candyman" program as it's called. I could picture Lloyd and Isabelle pulling off the "Candyman" program to a "T". In fact I thought of them when I saw the program. I think this young Russian team are more suited to classical type of skating. Their short program was beautiful and suits them well. As David Pelletier, Kurt Browning and Carol Lane all stated next season let's hope they pick better music and better choreography for their skating abilities.

lesnar001

Record Breaker
Well I'm not sure about who to choose now but this team - one of Canada's favorite pair teams who could pull off any comedic routine for sure:

Isabelle Brasseur and Lloyd Eisler

This program has Lloyd and Isabelle featured in a special show called Chrysler Dreams on Ice from 1997.

https://youtu.be/dWRIqGqnz_o

Here is another of their Gems

https://youtu.be/4nrbbuq7Y0U

It takes a certain kind of skater to pull off the "Candyman" program as it's called. I could picture Lloyd and Isabelle pulling off the "Candyman" program to a "T". In fact I thought of them when I saw the program. I think this young Russian team are more suited to classical type of skating. Their short program was beautiful and suits them well. As David Pelletier, Kurt Browning and Carol Lane all stated next season let's hope they pick better music and better choreography for their skating abilities.
Thank you for the trip down memory lane! I always enjoyed them.

I feel bad because they were always competing against my faves M&D - so I couldn't give them my full support :drama:

I had a HUGE crush on Isabelle - what a personality she had. And I think she's the bravest skater of all time.

Lloyd could toss her around like she was a feather - and some of those tricks in their exhibitions - YIKES.

I agree with you about Tarasova & Morozov. Not to pigeon-hole them but I like Russian Pairs skating to classical music!

LadyB

Record Breaker
they have the maturity to pull it off. Ksenia has the image of being a strong, independent, fierce woman, so if Ksenia skated to 'I don't pop my cherry for every man I see' and they perform it in a comical way, it could work. Just like it could work if Adam or Chafik skated to it.
not that I say they should, it would still be one of their worse programs,

It would just be a so-so program.

- edited -

Candyman should be fun and tongue in cheek where the female part (whether played by classy Ksenia or a 16-year old girl) depicts exactly that. A young girl/woman teasing a boy/young men in a youthful and comical way. Ksenia can be funny and seductive, but this role wouldn't suit her. I always see Candyman as something out of a high school play. But hey, that's just me.

Btw, if it would be one of their worst programmes, or so-so.... why would they even go there?

Adam and Johnny Weir would be absolutely fabulous performing it together. That would be class entertainment, funny and cheeky. :biggrin:

LadyB

Record Breaker
Maybe also Piper and Paul would make a good 'Candyman' type of program? I totally see their quirky style accommodating this aesthetic, well - after that Disco SD they are certified to pull anything in my book :laugh:

I was thinking that too. They could make it really pure fun, they have the actor qualities Zhenya and Volodya sadly lacked on that occasion. :)

SmallAminal

On the Ice
It was incredibly jarring to me because when halfway through the program i started listening to the music I heard something along the lines of "he's a one stop shop, with a real big-" *whistling*

That just upped the cringe factor for me. I had been so focused on panties dropping and cherries popping that I missed that one.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Who's the AU male counterpart?

I don't know... any Russian male who isn't overly austere, who can let loose and perform outside a comfort zone, and isn't afraid to be fun and silly without it coming across as awkward. I know... slim pickings. The only one that comes to mind is Ivan Bukin. :biggrin:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I don't know... any Russian male who isn't overly austere, who can let loose and perform outside a comfort zone, and isn't afraid to be fun and silly without it coming across as awkward. I know... slim pickings. The only one that comes to mind is Ivan Bukin. :biggrin:

Now I really miss Petrenko lol!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Shizuka Arakawa skated to "Candyman" in a "Fashion on Ice" show (Trenton, NJ circa 12/2006). Musically, that was quite a departure for her.

In general, I do see the song more suited to exhibition performances than to competitive ones.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I people want a nice, upbeat song, why not just use the boogie Woogie Bugle Boy song that is included in Candyman? I looked up the lyrics, and there is nothing objectionable in them.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I people want a nice, upbeat song, why not just use the boogie Woogie Bugle Boy song that is included in Candyman? I looked up the lyrics, and there is nothing objectionable in them.

Exactly, Ryan Bradley used it as an SP in 2011.

Amei

Record Breaker
I think someone could pull off the beat of the music better than Tarasova and Morozov did*, but I would prefer to not hear that song on the ice again as it has some pretty crude lyrics. *I applaud them for doing something outside their comfort zone but it was obvious for most of the season that Morozov was uncomfortable with the routine; if a skater can't get over the discomfort or distaste for a song/musical selection then they really shouldn't be trying to carry that musical selection in an Olympic season.