Seating in UBC Thunderbird Arena (GPF 2018) | Golden Skate

Seating in UBC Thunderbird Arena (GPF 2018)

kokobo

Spectator
Hi all,

A new block of all event tickets were released for the 2018 GPF in Vancouver. These tickets are in the west bleachers. Has anyone attended a FS event in similar seats? I'm just wondering about what the view will be like. It's also on the opposite side of the arena from K&C which isn't great.

Also, for future comps, what seats should I aim for? I've heard that the judges side is best- how about seats in the block adjacent to the judges section towards the K&C side of the arena?

Finally, what rows are ideal? I sat in the second row for a local ice show once but found I couldn't see any footwork towards the side I was sitting because of the wall. For this reason, would higher up rows like 4-5 offer clearer views?

Thanks in advance!

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hi Potato, :)

I don't know where the west bleachers are. But I've been to at least one FS competition every year since 2013, and I'm happy to share my opinion.

My favorite seats are in what's sometimes referred to as the "Lutz corner." Each time my seats have been there, it's been the opposite end from the K&C. I can always see the skaters' K&C reactions by viewing the big ceiling screen at center rink. Many of the skaters who jump counterclockwise (thus, most) jump their lutz in that corner, and it's thrilling! Also, it's been a great place to see a lot of the other jumps from. Most of the skaters plan their jumps to happen at both ends of the rink, or the middle too. This last year, Nathan Chen put his quad lutz in one end during the SP, and in the other end during his FS. Very considerate, I thought. :)

Somewhat surprisingly, that end is also great for watching the skating in general, not just the jumps. The lifts and the other choreography as well. I could see the entire programs from there. I've also had seats on the long sides, which are also good. Just that I like the end best.

I like the seats in Row 4 or 5 the best, although up to Row 12 is good too. One year at US nationals, they put an extra 3 rows in front, on the long side of the rink. Some people who had those seats didn't like them, because they were all on the same level, so Rows 2 and 3 had trouble viewing.

Just my two cents! Different fans will prefer different experiences at the competitions.

kokobo

Spectator
Thanks for sharing! How does one work out where the Lutz corner is? Is it on the corner towards the judges, or the other corner (assuming we're talking about the short side opposite to K&C).

JustRozy

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Thanks for sharing! How does one work out where the Lutz corner is? Is it on the corner towards the judges, or the other corner (assuming we're talking about the short side opposite to K&C).

Not being a skater, alas, I had the same question some time ago, so I googled with this result from sk8.com: "Lutz Corners:
Because of the nature of the Lutz jump, it is most commonly performed in the 10:00 and 4:00 corners of the rink (unless you have a lot of clockwise jumpers in your club). These corners are informally called the "Lutz Corners", and can usually be identified by the unusually large concentration of divots in the ice. Strive to avoid long-term practice activities in these corners, and try to be especially aware of your surroundings when you are in them. Remember that the approach to a Lutz is long and blind. The skater doing the Lutz is not likely to see you."

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Just looked at the map of Doug Mitchell and I believe the lutz corner is near sections 111 and 112. I sat in section 113 for Nationals and could see a lot, though not everything.

I think the bleachers are behind the regular seats, so the front row of the bleachers is about row 12 (not 112!).

I just looked on the ticketmaster site and they say there are no tickets available. Did you already get some, or are you seeing something I'm not?

The "big screens" at Doug Mitchell were so big and not visible from every seat. Bring good binoculars if you want to see the Kiss and Cry. Though they may improve the screen for the GPF.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

You're welcome. :) When I first posted my response, I hadn't worked out that (as Nana Pat said) you might be talking about the sections above those spectator sections closest to the ice. Considering that, I hope you'll bring your binoculars, and I hope you'll enjoy a live competition as much as I do! Do let us hear all about your experience. It's always fun to read the Live Action Reports!

kokobo

Spectator
Thanks everyone!

Yes, I have already bought tickets in the first row of the west bleachers (above sections 109 and 110)

I believe it's directly behind the accessible seating area.

If the first row of the bleachers is around row 12, will I need binoculars to see the programs as well or just K&C?

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I was further back than row 12 at Nationals and didn't use binoculars except for the kiss-and-cry. I stopped using them even for that as it was too much of a nuisance as I wear glasses that I had to keep taking them off to use the binoculars. Also, My binoculars weren't powerful enough to really do me much good.

Your seats sound good. In fact, they sound better than mine, that are further back and in the corner. What I don't know is if the seats will have backs. They really are bleachers (temporary seating). To walk around the arena, you have to walk under the bleachers, which is kind of off-putting the first time you do it.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Look on the Skate Canada website and follow the obvious links to the event / ticket site.

Pocaguri

Rinkside
I did but I don’t see any available. I only see 1 Ticketmaster link... but someone mention there are west bleachers open so I thought there was another site to get them. Thanks for replying though.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I did but I don’t see any available. I only see 1 Ticketmaster link... but someone mention there are west bleachers open so I thought there was another site to get them. Thanks for replying though.

There were seats available for the West bleachers on Ticketmaster but I guess they sold out already.