axel to double loop to double axel possible? | Golden Skate

axel to double loop to double axel possible?

Annelegato

Rinkside
Hi, I am just curious if a skater could be taught, after a single axel then a double loop then double axel?
This is disregarding other double jumps, do you think it would be possible?
I know that an axel is in a category of its own and to break it down it would be:
single axel:
waltz, loop
double axel:
waltz, double loop
what do you think?
and if a skater could get 2.5 rotations or even 2.25, wouldn't it also be easier for other double jumps (specially flip and lutz)?

Mussique

On the Ice
I don't quite get your question, but from a double loop to a double axel there's much more difference than from axel to double loop.
Once they get the axel skaters at my rink usually work on double loop quite easily, however, double axel takes a lot of time to come in, if ever.
Waltz to loop seems quite improbable as well. Usually it's waltz to toe or waltz to salchow, and then loop or flip, depending if the skater feels more comfortable with edge or toe jumps.
From 2 rotations to 2,5 rotations there's a world of difference.
Of course there's people who feel more comfortable with one type of jump (axel included) and they'll get it more easily than other jumps. And there are skaters who feel very uncomfortable with other types of jumps and will skip them (**cough** Lutz **cough***) But generally speaking, it's not common.

Annelegato

Rinkside
I don't quite get your question, but from a double loop to a double axel there's much more difference than from axel to double loop.
Once they get the axel skaters at my rink usually work on double loop quite easily, however, double axel takes a lot of time to come in, if ever.
Waltz to loop seems quite improbable as well. Usually it's waltz to toe or waltz to salchow, and then loop or flip, depending if the skater feels more comfortable with edge or toe jumps.
From 2 rotations to 2,5 rotations there's a world of difference.
Of course there's people who feel more comfortable with one type of jump (axel included) and they'll get it more easily than other jumps. And there are skaters who feel very uncomfortable with other types of jumps and will skip them (**cough** Lutz **cough***) But generally speaking, it's not common.

let me make it clearer, what i wrote was a bit confusing

i'm saying if it is possible to have successfully learned axel and double loop
then *skips all other jumps*
and head for a double axel (maybe also with a help of a harness)

gkelly

Record Breaker
Theoretically it would be possible, but why would you want to?

After learning axel and double loop, you probably have 1 to 5 years ahead of you of working on making those jumps stronger and more consistent before you'll actually start landing double axels (if ever). 3-5 years is probably common for those who do end up landing double axels someday. At some point within those first few years after landing your first double loop you would be ready to start working on the double axel, knowing it will probably take years to master.

Meanwhile, what else are you going to do with your skating life? If you want to compete, you'll want to be able to include other jumps in your programs along with axels and double loops. If you want to pass tests in countries that offer/require them, you'll need to include other double jumps.

So what would be the value of refusing to learn double salchow, toe loop, flip, and lutz during the years when you could be mastering and learning them just to spend your time waiting to work on a jump you're not ready for yet and then starting on it when you're ready to start the process but are still probably years away from success?

jf12

Final Flight
It is possible, like anything is possible, but there’s no reason why anyone would want to. Once you can do axel and double loop well, there’s no reason why you couldn’t learn sal, flip, etc in a matter of weeks while it would take a lot longer to get 2a. Why bother skipping them?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm an edge jumper (it's my preferred line of jumps) but I wouldn't have ever skipped from a loop to an axel just for the heck of it. You need to learn the other jumps for reasons gkelly posted above and many other reasons as well. If you know your loop I'd try doing it in combo first even before trying an axel.

vlaurend

Final Flight
Yes, it is possible, but it wouldn't make any sense if you are entering competitions. Without a double toeloop, double flip and double lutz, you would run out of double jumps to put into your program (since you are only allowed to do each one twice) and would have to do single jumps instead. That would result in a low technical score and you would not place well.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
and if a skater could get 2.5 rotations or even 2.25, wouldn't it also be easier for other double jumps (specially flip and lutz)?

While this idea is logical, it doesn't seem to pan out in practice. Jumps and rotations are all about timing and the timing required to get 2.5 rotations is completely different than that for 2, especially when you consider that the axel take off is completely different from all the other jumps. I've seen skaters struggle with their lesser rotation jumps when they start working om jumps of higher rotations while they figure out the difference in timing between the two.

loopy

Final Flight
In about 2 years my skater had all her 2 jumps and do them really well (not including 2a). It has taken 4 more years to get an iffy 2a. That is with the same number of lessons and ice time for all those 6 years. 2a is really hard... And without a 2a, coaches are not wanting to start a 3. If she skated more than 5hours a week and had more than an hour of lessons progress would be faster.

Annelegato

Rinkside
In about 2 years my skater had all her 2 jumps and do them really well (not including 2a). It has taken 4 more years to get an iffy 2a. That is with the same number of lessons and ice time for all those 6 years. 2a is really hard... And without a 2a, coaches are not wanting to start a 3. If she skated more than 5hours a week and had more than an hour of lessons progress would be faster.
and may i ask how many lessons per week and how long are the lessons? i am just curious