Favourite Past GPFs/Worlds | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Favourite Past GPFs/Worlds

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
One GPF that I'll always find underrated is the ladies' FS at the 2008/09 GPF (the SP was sloppy AF).

You'll get that Mao landed two 3As by just looking at the protocols, but Yukari and Miki also landed a 3A and a 4S, respectively. Underrotated, but still very exciting that half of the field was doing 3As and quads (and this was before the introduction of the </<< distinction, so they got scored as if they were <<s, which I don't think they were).

And then you had Yuna Kim on the verge of being the dominant force that she became (in a season where, as a set, I think she had her two best programs), and Joannie and Carolina showing their regular flashes of brilliance.
Now that you said that, it's true that it was a spectacular event. Half of the field attempting men jumps (i mean by that jumps usually attempted by men). That lack of distinction between < and << was really unfair. Even a boderline jump called was downgraded. That's why TES could be very low for someone who didn't fall or pop.

LadyB

Record Breaker
I've only started watching FS properly again in 2015 after years of absence.

My best Olympic memories were 1976, 1988 and 2002, although my fave at the time only won in the Salt Lake City Games. I totally love Toller Cranston, but he was unlucky due to compulsory figures. Battle of the Brians, what a night! In 2002, Yagudin was several cuts above the rest.

GPF has to be Barcelona 2015. Not only was I totally blown away by pretty much all the performers, the atmo in Barcelona (as it came across on the telly) and of course Stolbova/Klimov winning. Then Yuzu's Seimei (although the NHK version will stick with me forever). Weaver/Poje were on fire that season. Funny gala programmes by Cappelini/Lanotte and Bobrova/Soloviev.

Europeans: It has to be Moscow 2018 as I was there myself. Unbelievable experience! I loved the Russian pairs podium, but I must admit that J/C were a bit hard done by.

Worlds: Still Boston 2016. Javi was out of this world, and I will never forget the moment when D/R realised they made it! It still gives me goosebumps. I also fell in love with Gilles/Poirier and especially their Beatles Medley.
Worlds Helsinki 2017 was great as well, but I'll never forget how Stolbova/Klimov had the most abysmal skate in their career, landed in 13th place after SP and had to skate in the first group. Then delivered the third best FS, got a small medal and ended up 5th. What a performance, what nerves of steel!!!