ESPN World Fame 100 list | Golden Skate

ESPN World Fame 100 list

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
The ESPN list is out, and we have a figure skater on it!
Yuzuru's at #70
http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/23519390/espn-world-fame-100-2018#

and it's interesting he made it as he has no social media.

The accompanying article
http://www.espn.com/olympics/story/...ing-figure-skating-gold-medalist-yuzuru-hanyu

In case anyone wants to see the details without browsing, here's a screencap
https://twitter.com/crazykuroneko/status/998930164363898881

Here's a list of peeps who made it per Nick Zaccardi-
ESPN's World Fame 100
33 soccer players
13 basketball players
12 tennis players
10 cricketers
8 golfers
7 football players
6 boxers
3 swimmers (Sun Yang, Ning Zetao, Fu Yuanhui)
Yuzuru Hanyu
Lindsey Vonn
Shaun White
0 baseball/hockey players

squall1111

Match Penalty
This is how ESPN ranked the most famous 100 in the world on their website

The Methodology:

To find the 100 most famous athletes in the world, we started with 600 of the biggest names in sports, drawn from 67 countries. ESPN's Sports Analytics Group then ranked them based on a proprietary formula that took into account three fame factors: (1) Google Trend score, which measures how often a name is searched, using Cristiano Ronaldo's score of 100 as a baseline; (2) endorsement dollars -- our sources ranged from Forbes to ESPN contributors such as Darren Rovell; (3) social media following on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook. Since not all athletes are on every platform, we used only the number from their most popular account. So if an athlete had 2 million Instagram followers but his or her other accounts had only 1 million followers, the social media score was 2 million.

Easy, right? Now for the fine print: If we could not find accurate endorsement figures, we estimated an athlete's endorsement dollars based on the search, social and endorsement data for all athletes under review; for Chinese athletes, we used the Baidu search score and the Weibo social numbers because Google and Western social platforms have been blocked in China. If an athlete had no confirmed social media account, we marked a '0' for social media. Our deadline for all underlying metrics was March 19; the currency conversions were done by that date.

Considering Yuzu had no social media I am very impressed!!!

Source:
http://www.espn.com/espnw/culture/article/23337210/world-fame-100-25-most-famous-women-athletes

On the bottom it tells you their methodology on how they rank athletes fame rankings

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Considering Yuzu had no social media I am very impressed!!!

One of only two with none to have made the list; it really is something. Makes me wonder, not going to lie but definitely better he has none!

By search score alone he just got into the top 20.

squall1111

Match Penalty
One of only two with none to have made the list; it really is something. Makes me wonder, not going to lie but definitely better he has none!
Yes it certainly makes people imagine how much he would have risen in the ranking had he had an active followed Social Media Account. But as you said, glad he doesn't have one [emoji8]

Yoa

On the Ice
(1) Google Trend score, which measures how often a name is searched, using Cristiano Ronaldo's score of 100 as a baseline;

Yuzuru is 18th in that score :eek:

for Chinese athletes, we used the Baidu search score and the Weibo social numbers because Google and Western social platforms have been blocked in China.
I wonder what would happen if they included other search engines. Japanese people use mostly Yahoo. And Yuzuru is really popular in China so his Baidu score probably would be quite high. Also did they use only his name in romaji? Or did they include his name in Kanji as well? I am curious how it works for Asian names :scratch2:

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
I will guess the ranking is mostly based on USA. So I would Kanji is not taking into account, still great achievement for Yuzuru.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
The ESPN list is out, and we have a figure skater on it!
Yuzuru's at #70
http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/23519390/espn-world-fame-100-2018#

and it's interesting he made it as he has no social media.

The accompanying article
http://www.espn.com/olympics/story/...ing-figure-skating-gold-medalist-yuzuru-hanyu

In case anyone wants to see the details without browsing, here's a screencap
https://twitter.com/crazykuroneko/status/998930164363898881

Here's a list of peeps who made it per Nick Zaccardi-
ESPN's World Fame 100
33 soccer players
13 basketball players
12 tennis players
10 cricketers
8 golfers
7 football players
6 boxers
3 swimmers (Sun Yang, Ning Zetao, Fu Yuanhui)
Yuzuru Hanyu
Lindsey Vonn
Shaun White
0 baseball/hockey players

Erm, that list at the end doesn't add up to 100 - it only adds up to 96. I've found a few people whose sports were missed, which would take it up to 99:

#18 Conor McGregor (NIR) for MMA
#50 Saina Nehwal (IND) for Badminton
#68 Lewis Hamilton (ENG) for Formula 1

But where is the last one that would take it up to 100?

Overall, I am not surprised to see so many footballers in the list (a third of the 99 that I have accounted for! :drama:), and that one of them got the top spot. But, I was surprised that there were only 3 in the Top 10.

And I was surprised that there were so many names I had never even heard tell of before. Although, that is because they are from sports that are only popular in North America.

Maybe it is because I follow their sports, but I was also surprised that Lewis Hamilton and Lindsey Vonn weren't a LOT higher.

But, it was so good to see that 2 of my fellow Ulstermen have made the list:

#15 Rory McIlroy (NIR) for Golf
#18 Conor McGregor (NIR) for MMA

OK, so I'm not a fan of either of them (for the simple reason that I don't like their sports!), but it is good to see them up there!

And, obviously, it is good to see some wintersports people in there:

#32 Shaun White (USA) for Snowboarding
#70 Yuzuru Hanyu (JPN) for Figure Skating
#95 Lindsey Vonn (USA) for Alpine Skiing

There may not be many (just 3), but it is a start! ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

squall1111

Match Penalty
Now that he is on an ESPN top 100 list which was mainly dominated by mainstream major sports, I have hopes he may get nominated for Teen Choice Awards, #ChoiceMaleAthlete because he was the most nominated.

kiches

Final Flight
ok

Probably after his injury his search picked...

If I were to take a guess, aside from the google search stat I remembered Yuzuru was basically the top tweeted about athlete occupying spots 1-3 on the twitter ranking during the Winter Olympics. I'm sure that contributed to his search score and those tweets I believe included Japanese tweets.

It's too bad they couldn't dig up any endorsement info, I've been wondering about his net worth. He could be raking it in doing more commercials and endorsements but he keeps the list of brands he endorses quite short (ANA, Phiten, Lotte, Bathclin, P&G, Ajinomoto, and Tokyo Nishikawa).

There are so many jokes to be made about a certain other outlet here.

It's too irrelevant to be made fun of now, though.

chillgil

Match Penalty
Don’t love the accompanying article :( i know it’s a lot to ask for especially from a western news site but I wish she could have taken the article somewhere other than “oh he’s so popular and all of his fans thinks he’s their dream lover and also his fans are only Asian.” Like i wish they did some more digging, it would have been cool to do a story on the HUGE banner fans had put together for him while he was injured

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
No, definitely not based on USA alone; it's an international ranking.

It is, and they mention looking at weibo or baidu too, but tbh it still feels very "westernized" to me. There are 0 Asians in the top 10, and not even 20 in the overall top 100. Might be related to a lot of small factors, but I'd expect a ranking made in an "Eastern" country to look different, even with a similar approach.

But most importantly, that makes it even more impressive Yuzu is on that list. He's on that list and not any European or North American skaters - that tells you how much he is skatings superstar right now. People can talk about how "his popularity is just helped by being Asian" or whatever, but honestly, that ain't it. And then remember the guy doesn't care in the least about PR and stuff like that "xD

Danny T

Medalist
Don’t love the accompanying article :( i know it’s a lot to ask for especially from a western news site but I wish she could have taken the article somewhere other than “oh he’s so popular and all of his fans thinks he’s their dream lover and also his fans are only Asian.” Like i wish they did some more digging, it would have been cool to do a story on the HUGE banner fans had put together for him while he was injured

I hate the article too. Sure, he's cute but people don't follow him just because he's cute. His popularity as an athlete of all things might be due to, you know, his skating? His world records, his achievements, his jumps & skating style, etc. but nope, his looks it is. In fact, if I read the article fast enough, I might even miss the fact that he is a figure skater :palmf:

But hey, at least they stop implying figure skating is not a real sport because we have costumes. #progress :rolleye: