Crazy predictions thread 2018-19 | Golden Skate

Crazy predictions thread 2018-19

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Here is last year's version

Every year, after worlds.... we go hard with this crazy prediction threads.

I think layback started it last year but I haven't see her around lately... so if I may, I thought I would kick it off...

Disclaimer : this is supposed to be for entertainment only, unrealistic posts are very welcome. Please be kind and focus on creative humour
When we say "Crazy Predictions" it means that we are certainly not trying to predict the future as it should or could happen... For instance, posts like "So and so" will win the Olympics shall be saved for other threads if they are quite plausible or even remotely plausible... This is to avoid upsetting fans of such and such skaters....
So here are a few to start the ball

1)Joannie Rochette, proud that the Canadian ladies have earned 3 spots, decides to come back from retirement, putting on hold her studies in medicine. She qualifies second, and is put on the team event. Canada wins Gold. She carries the flag at closing ceremonies 8 years after Vancouver... I cry so much that I ruin my carpet.

OKay.. this didn't happen but it implied that Alaine wouldn't get the spot... FOR a 2018-19 update :

Meagan Duhamel, bored, decides to come back to competition and earns the third spot.

2) In an attempt to get the second spot for Canadian men, a crazy quad battle happens : Keegan Messing, Conrad Orzel, Nic Nadeau and Nam Nguyen all land 4Lo and 4Lz in the short program and are ahead of Patrick and Kevin who only brought 4s and 4t. A huge protest among the fans occurs. Justin Trudeau intervenes and declares that the 4lutz is a luxury item and will then be taxed, 25% is taken off from its base value. Patrick and Kevin now top the standings and qualify for the games. Keegan Messing, pissed off, competes for the USA where there is no tax on the 4lutz and qualifies for the games with Nathan Chen and Vincent Zhou.

Well, apparently, there is a new tax on the 4 lutz LOL ;)

3) The Japanese federation is very concerned about which 2 ladies to send to the games. They conduct simulation competitions every 2-3 weeks... and end up being more and more confused as a different lady wins every time... They finally decide to put the names of the top ten at Japanese nationals in a hat and draw. Kaori and Mao go to the Olympics.

at that point, we didn't know Mao had retired... but i was right... the Japanese federation had a hard time choosing their team and Kaori went to the O games :)

4) Miki Ando gives birth to a wonderful daughter just before the Olympics. Javier Fernandez decides to spend quality time with his family and withdraws from the event.

well.. that's a scratch :)

5) Korea, after hearing that Joannie and Mao are going to the Olympics pressures Yuna Kim to come back from retirement in the hope of reenacting the Vancouver podium. Yuna throws them in for a loop with agreeing at first and then makes sure she pops her jumps in the SP at her only event allowing her to get her TES minimums.

Interestingly enough, Yuna is back doing show, post Olympics...

6) In an attempt to popularize the sport, the ISU makes mandatory Adam Rippon's costuming style, no sleeves, mesh fabric, anything that shows off the assets. Patrick Chan is furious and decides to wear board shorts and a loose tank top. Yuzuru shows up sleeveless but all the feathers he had ordered to cover his arms (he is skating to Swan Lake) are recycled into wings attached to his back. The British Eurosport Guys say in unison, when Yuzu lands his quad axel : wow !!! this boy can certainly fly. Javi, watching from home tells Miki he is very relieved as suspenders don't really work with sleeveless shirts.

well well well... considering Yuzu's new costume with some sort of things on his shoulders... i guess that one wasn't too far from reality

7) Shin Amano is chosen to be on the tech panel for the ladies. Half of them withdraw before the event fearing carrot soup indigestion.

Considering the carrots given at worlds.. many girls should have withdrawn....

8) After having practiced with no success the 3A throw all season, D/R decide to replace it with the 3lz throw. However, Meagan realizes she actually can control the 3A as a solo jump and she and Eric become the first couple to land SBS 3A jumps in both the Sp and Lp at the games. Aliona gets very angry about missing the gold again and announces she will compete in Beijing. GS breaks down.

the 3a was removed and replaced by the 3lz throw... no triple axel jump though but D/R became the first pair to land a quad throw at the games... Aljona got her gold... but so did D/R ;)

9) The Chinese federation in an attempt to get a better dance team for the team event puts Han Yan and Zijun Li together. Lori Nichol creates programs for them and they win Nationals.

OMG.. i cannot believe i had predicted that last year... WOW... it's almost too real to be true...

10) This thread is going to hit 20 pages by WTT

that was a failure... people are less and less creative on this forum ;) they are too busy arguing ;) J/K

Now... here are my CRAZY predictions for 2018-2019...

1) Lubov, unable to find a partner goes back to singles... and lands all her jumps... the girl has no issue jumping, it's a timing issue. She goes to worlds as Canada's 3rd lady.... which pleases all the Russian fans, as that's one more Russian at worlds.

2) Conrad Orzel, despite improving gradually at TCC finds a new passion for modeling and becomes a huge star in South Korea.

3) Patrick Chan goes to Japan Open and does VERY well with the new rules... he is reconsidering coming back for 2020 Montreal

4) Yuzu goes to Skate Canada and loses again. He swears he will NEVER again compete in Canada which makes his fandom freak out considering GPF 2019 and Worlds 2020 are in Canada.

5) Gogolev DOES NOT win anything on JGP. Yeah... that's a crazy prediction...

6) Nic Nadeau switches to pairs.

7) Peng and Jin are done.. Chinese federation retires Peng and gives Jin a new partner.

8) Skate Canada, unsatisfied with the results at Nationals, doesn't award the title in mens.... The void left by Patrick's retirement is indeed largely felt at Nationals. Keegan Messing, though scoring the highest gets the silver and Joseph Phan, the Bronze. They go to worlds, so angry that they both place in the top ten earning 3 spots for the following year.

9) Gabby Daleman becomes the most dominant lady on the circuit... 2019 is her year. She explains her successes by saying that she had so many obstacles in 2018 (surgery, pneumonia, sprain ankle etc) that she feels freer and freer. She becomes the first Canadian lady landing a 3a.

10) Javier wins Europeans and decides to go to worlds after all... he sets a new trend among older skaters, of skipping GP season and only doing 4cc/euros + worlds.

mau

3Lz3Lo3Lo3Lo3Lo
On the Ice
Sasha Trusova lands 4A before landing her first 3A.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Since my crazy prediction didn't work last year, I'll try again and hope to have better luck: Tamara Moskvina decides to come to the U.S. and USFSA puts her in charge of U.S. Pairs teams. Somehow, at the next Worlds, the U.S. pairs manage to sweep the podium, even though they only have one spot. (I know, I know -- fat chance! :palmf: )

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yuzuru decides to base his program on Tokyo Ghoul. Music AND costumes.

(Can I just say, I'd pay to see it too??)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Since my crazy prediction didn't work last year, I'll try again and hope to have better luck: Tamara Moskvina decides to come to the U.S. and USFSA puts her in charge of U.S. Pairs teams. Somehow, at the next Worlds, the U.S. pairs manage to sweep the podium, even though they only have one spot. (I know, I know -- fat chance! :palmf: )

I'm kind of sad she didn't stay here from the 90s.

ejnsofi

Final Flight
Due to the number of ice dance teams in Montreal Gadbois Centre decides to start coeducational synchro team. After immediate success Canada becomes strong supprter of synchro at Olympics

After losing his most successful client Averbukh starts all around the world trip to find skater who in his eyes will be good enough to shoe greatness of his choreography. He finds one in Nathan Chen. The duo decides to present the cycle of FS based on the most deadly epidemics in history of humanity

icetug

Medalist
2) Conrad Orzel, despite improving gradually at TCC finds a new passion for modeling and becomes a huge star in South Korea.
5) Gogolev DOES NOT win anything on JGP. Yeah... that's a crazy prediction...
Conrad improves at TCC so much that Stephen decides to leave Canada and compete for Russia, joining Sambo 70. Sergei Dudakov, seeing his jumping technique, resigns from work at Sambo 70 and... moves to TCC for a two-year practice.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Sorry mate, Step Sequence4 has beat you to it. They started a new Crazy Predictions thread for this off-season just over 2 months ago:

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?71662

I'll request that they get merged.

CaroLiza_fan

and on top of that, i realize that this person built the post following my own pattern... very classy ;) oh well... the more the merrier...

the difference here, if i may offer some insight is that I invite users to go back to their own predictions, like I did in my OP to see how things went...

strangely, some of my predictions weren't too crazy.

I would therefore hope that the threads are separate (the other thread had lived its course until you brought it up and would have been archived in a couple days) or that at least my OP is kept as OP even though the chronology of things is different.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
and on top of that, i realize that this person built the post following my own pattern... very classy ;) oh well... the more the merrier...

the difference here, if i may offer some insight is that I invite users to go back to their own predictions, like I did in my OP to see how things went...

strangely, some of my predictions weren't too crazy.

I would therefore hope that the threads are separate (the other thread had lived its course until you brought it up and would have been archived in a couple days) or that at least my OP is kept as OP even though the chronology of things is different.

The reason I remembered about that other thread is that I started writing a post for it at the time, but didn't get it quite finished before the Snooker World Championships started. And then when it finished, all the arguing about the congress kicked off. So, I decided to leave it another while until all that had died down.

Actually, your suggestion wouldn't be hard to do. So, if they do get merged, I hope that it is done that way. Since they are both replying to last season's thread, it would make sense to have your post and Step Sequence4's post at the start, one after the other.

CaroLiza_fan

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
I have no predictions written down from last year, 4everchan, as I was still a lurker ;). So I will just offer some predictions with less than 5% plausibility for this upcoming season:

1. Anna Cappelini decides to not retire yet but instead skate with Ondrej Hotarek in ice dance. They come in second behind Guignard/Fabbri at Nationals, both skating to the soundtrack of La La Land. C/H manage to edge out G/F at Worlds and come in tenth place.

2. Kaetlyn and Gabby take the top two spots at GPF, Four Continents and Worlds, but the doubters still go on Youtube to thumbs down their videos. However, they gained a large number of fans in the process so the doubters' opinions becomes just a needle in the haystack.

3. Aliona Savchenko decides to make a comeback but in this quad, she wants to be the sole decider of her fate and goes solo. Representing Germany at the World Championships, she barely makes it through to the free skate but manages to rise to Top 10 after performing a stellar free with a clean 3A landed on the final beat of the music.

4. Yuzuru loses at Skate Canada once again and is furious. He decides that if he is to become the GOAT, he not only needs to win OGM three times, but winning it while representing two different countries will solidify his status. He sits out of competition for the rest of the season, intending to come back for 2019 NHK, representing Canada.

5. The Montreal dance school has over enrollment issues and decides to establish a second location in Quebec City. Marie France and Patrice occasionally teach at the Quebec City site but Igor Shipband manages the program there. With the Shibs taking a break, Marina decides to coach in Moscow with Krylova.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
4. Yuzuru loses at Skate Canada once again and is furious. He decides that if he is to become the GOAT, he not only needs to win OGM three times, but winning it while representing two different countries will solidify his status. He sits out of competition for the rest of the season, intending to come back for 2019 NHK, representing Canada.

:laugh: LMAOOOOO

IndiaP12

iliabot wakabot gumennikbot team korea stan
Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
I hope to add more later, but wanted to list two that came to mind, :laugh:.

1. Since most dance teams have gone to Montreal, Marina Z and Igor S decide to join forces again to try to bring back the spark of dance when they coached together, but decide it won't work again after Igor leaves due to Marina's dog constantly biting him when MZ doesn't get her way.

2. Japanese Fed tells Hanyu that he cannot safely compete anymore due to extensive injuries that are taking too long to heal, in revenge he decides to move to the middle of nowhere in Iowa, and becomes a chicken farmer.

AHAHHAH THE LAST ONE YUZU CHICKEN FARMER [emoji1408]*[emoji264]

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
2. Kaetlyn and Gabby take the top two spots at GPF, Four Continents and Worlds, but the doubters still go on Youtube to thumbs down their videos. However, they gained a large number of fans in the process so the doubters' opinions becomes just a needle in the haystack.

Thanks Bill, I LOVE this prediction! There will always be 'doubters' who will end up only with egg on their face. Canadian women winning 50% of World podium placements the past 2 is a shocker for some, but expected by many who have long believed. Here's to 2018-19!

IndiaP12

iliabot wakabot gumennikbot team korea stan
Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Anna Shcherbakova has an amazing JGP debut and lands 4lz+3t, defeating Trusova for the title at JGP Final and Jr Worlds.
Alina Zagitova wins all her events including worlds, and becomes the first lady to score over the 300-point mark.
Evgenia Medvedeva lands a 3lz with a deep outside edge.
Ok, those are more really crazy wishes than predictions, but you never know...

tars

Record Breaker
Raf will put Eunsoo Lim, Marin Honda and Mariah Bell in the same GP and get fined after male judges faint during the competition. :drama::laugh:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Yazuru doing Seimei, Chopin for the 4th time... ya know so just so he can focus on the jumps like Russian Juniors do.

Except got beaten Kolyada and Dima who get unprecendented GOEs and PCS inflation with consecutive all European Panels by GPF and WC.

In the great tradition of Russian men and their incredible originality, one of them will do either
- an Elvis
- Queen
- Beatles
- Muse
- Coldplay
- Pink Floyd

or some sort of British Macho Retro Rockband of hard knocks to karate quad them to the top with Professor X PCS potion.

Only if they would consider doing an Adele or Ed Sheeran lol... or even Emeli Sande for once to get in touch with their emo sensitive side for a surprising change.