SYTYCD Season 15! | Golden Skate

SYTYCD Season 15!

It's back, it's still going awry, it's still going to spawn widespread discussion about whether or not it's the final season, the dances will still be about angst and romance, people will still want it to get canceled because it's the worst season ever, Nigel will still be awful, but who's going to watch it with me anyway?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUoic_Tyn_Q

(yes, really)

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I will be watching!!

chopinskate said:
It's back, it's still going awry, it's still going to spawn widespread discussion about whether or not it's the final season, the dances will still be about angst and romance, people will still want it to get canceled because it's the worst season ever, Nigel will still be awful, but who's going to watch it with me anyway?]

I didn't know all of this was going on.

noskates

Record Breaker
I really like this show and I don't think Nigel is awful. I could do without Mary Murphy screaming nonsensical crap about her stupid tamale train or whatever....but....haven't watched it yet this season and don't even know if she's on again. The interesting thing to me is that occasionally during the Academy Awards or some other show where there are backup dancers I've recognized some of the contestants from SYTYCD. I have a good friend who had a daughter who danced with the Charleston Ballet Co. until she grew too tall (who knew!) and she's lamented the fact that some of these kids train for years and years and years and then there aren't many opportunities to make a living dancing. Maybe this show at least gives them a showcase. My favorite is still Travis Wall and I think he gained a major career from this show.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I could do without Mary Murphy screaming nonsensical crap about her stupid tamale train or whatever....but....haven't watched it yet this season and don't even know if she's on again.

Mary is on again this year....I tolerate Mary!! Twitch is one of the judges, hopefully a good addition.

The first dancer was strange and for the type of dance I guess it was good, the judges seemed to like her. I just wonder how she will do with other dances. What are your thoughts??

noskates

Record Breaker
Love Twitch! Must start watching this show. Glad to have "someone" to discuss it with. Nobody in my family is interested.

noskates

Record Breaker
As much as I love Twitch, I always preferred the ballroom, contemporary and jazz pieces more than the hip hop and "beat" boys, etc. I don't understand those dances, don't like the music and can barely appreciate the talent it takes to pull it off.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Has anyone watched the first show??

mintx

On the Ice
I’m watching it this season. I loved it in the beginning, the past few seasons have not been as good.

WesleyFox

Rinkside
I'm not ready to talk about it til after university..
It's so much backstory and fluff.. Not that I don't watch every bit.

When I start seeing coustumes and music, choreo, and (my favorite) the group numbers.. then I'll be here to talk about it!

See you soon!

heyang

Record Breaker
I've been watching.

I think Vanessa Hudgens has gotten better as a judge, but I still don't think of her as a dancer although she did dance in Gigi when it was on Broadway. I was wondering if they would pick up Jenna Dewan as a judge, but I guess she's commited to hosting World of Dance.

Enjoyed watching Twitch 'battle' during the tryout.s

Now, it's finally Academy week and tomorrow we find out who the Top 20 are. Haven't read any details of the format. Will they go back to 10 'teams' until about 1/2 way and then switch partners? Or will they randomaly pair and then later partner with All Stars. I definitely like that each dancer doesn't appear to be matched to a particular All Star.

Still my favorite dance competition show.

heyang

Record Breaker
Mine too. Heyang, having you been watching World Dancesport Sunday afternoon on PBS??

I don't think my local PBS station is airing it unless you're referring to 2017, which I've just added to my DVR schedule

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think my local PBS station is airing it unless you're referring to 2017, which I've just added to my DVR schedule

Checked Dancesport today and it says it was first aired in 2/18.

heyang

Record Breaker
Any opinions on the Top 10 ladies?

I was disappointed that Liz(?) from NJ didn't make the top 10. She danced hip hop with Fikshun.

I don't really like that they appear to have 'slots' for types of dancers. Why can't 3 ballroom girls make the top 5? If they are truly the best, then why not? I do agree that the 3rd ballroom girl wasn't top 5, but just mentioning it casts shade on the other girls IMHO.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Any opinions on the Top 10 ladies?

I wasn't happy with all the lady choices and thought the strongest dancers weren't picked.

What do you think about the men picks?? I think the guys picked are very strong dancers.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Just finished watching performances from the first live show on YT.

I have to say that two duos really stood out for me: Magda and Darius and Genessy and Slavic. They both looked natural and confident in their partners' trained styles od dance, they had great chemistry and elevated their choreographies.

Both contemporaries were probably my faves - Genessy/Slavik one was a bit of an old SYTYCD breath that felt fresh; the routine somehow reminded me of Sonya Tayeh by that bubbling edginess. I love how authentic Slavik looked in that choreo, how his strenght and this more forceful movement of a hip hop dance balanced Genessy's lightness in leaps, her extensions, effortless jumps, movement. They both control their bodies and movement so well to achieve this kind of synergy despite lack of contemporary training from Slavik. Magda/Darius one was kind of mix of an edge, theatre and dramatism - love the story, the movement, the lines created, musicality. Magda is totally a gem - her ballroom technique is one of the best I have ever seen, skilled, neat and effortless, You can only watch her feet and how her upper body compliments it, moving together in perfect harmony to the music, but her contemporary is beyond impressive: those feet, elevation, lines, expressiveness of body in partnering... In my opinion she is better than Jensen who may be a fans' favourite - Jensen kind of puts all the focus on her face expression for me, not using her body fully in performance, even in Latin (Magda even with cha-cha-cha choreo more relaxed than Jensen's samba looked more complete and engaging as a whole, her dancing blended simultaneously with music, partnering and performance).
Genessy/Slavik's HH also brought me some old SYTYCD vibe, from 3/4 season, this more dancing-with-each-other thing than dancing-with-tricks-fir-audience.