NBA Finals 2018 - Cavs vs. Warriors IV | Golden Skate

NBA Finals 2018 - Cavs vs. Warriors IV

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Who will be watching? First game is on Thursday! Can't wait.

And who do you want to win?

As for me, #GoDubs :biggrin:

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

noskates

Record Breaker
Holy moly - I didn't even know there was a thread like this. Don't wander around too much. Mrs. P - as I remember - you're in the Bay Area somewhere? I've been a Giants/49ers/Warriors/CAL fan FOREVER. Lived through the ups and downs (altho with CAL it's mostly been downs) I think there is a great similarity between the Warriors and the Giants in that the team environment is so rich and supportive and even the stars don't act like stars. I love Steph Curry and have become quite fond of KD. Didn't know how that was going to work when he first arrived but it couldn't be healthier and more symbiotic.

I used to like Lebron. There was an in -depth article about him in Vanity Fair years ago that chronicled his early life and you really had to root for the guy after reading that. He overcame so much and only his athletic ability kept him off the streets and down the straight and narrow (so-to-speak) But his posturing and his arrogance has really gotten to me.

Go Dubs! Win #2.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I lived in central Washington state, about 2 hours form Seattle for 12 years. I was a 76ers fan as a kid when I lived in the Philly area, as my dad was (it was the era of Barkley, Hawkins etc). But I got busy with school. Now my dad is actually a big Miami Heat fan cause he likes Pat Riley and I became a GSW fan.

I settled on GS because of the players. I became a big fan of Steph Curry during his big run in the NCAA tournament when he was at Davidson and kept tabs on him since. I also was a big fan of Draymond Green when he was at MSU (just like his playing style) and as I mentioned, Klay Thompson went to Washington State. So basically, I just started watching them for those three, but came to admire the playing style of the entire team. I also like Steve Kerr. So that's how I became a fan.

Last edited:

ktmsrkn

Rinkside
If only I could watch 2018 Finals... :(
They stopped televising NBA here because of some license agreement.

I used to watch and love NBA in my school days. Even stuffed bears clad in team jerseys named (Allen) Iverson, (Shaquille) O'neal, (Kobe) Bryant with their numbers are still sitting on my shelves. All of them came from U.S.A a long time ago, my souvenir of younger days :).

I didn't follow NBA for some time, but a few years ago a colleague re-introduced NBA to me. Since then I watched games learning new players and admiring Stephen Curry's ability. Sadly that doesn't happen anymore :sad21:.

(I'm only hoping they, NHK won't do the same thing to their NFL program (please) :pray::pray:.)

Good luck, Go Warriors! :thumbsup:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
There is no NBA broadcasting rights in Japan? At least though NHk? Interesting. Is the NBA/basketball not super popular? I know baseball is quite popular there.

Thanks for sharing your story and cheering for the Dubs!

(But it's okay to post here if you're a Cavs fan. Really..)

Ross74

Medalist
GSW deserve to win this game because they have much cuter uniforms. :)

Meanwhile hubby keeps complaining that the commentator whines too much. Can't say that I've noticed.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I love the tree uniforms. Cavs are close-ish due to lots of free throws. Some of those fouls. :no:

I’m thrilled they are playing well. I like when Livingston and McGee score. This is classic fun Warriors playing. I’ve missed it!

Also Splash Brothers (Curry and Thompson) did well.

And JR Smith... well. https://twitter.com/yahoosports/status/1003433213530738689?s=21

Last edited:

ktmsrkn

Rinkside
There is no NBA broadcasting rights in Japan? At least though NHk? Interesting. Is the NBA/basketball not super popular? I know baseball is quite popular there.

Thanks for sharing your story and cheering for the Dubs!

(But it's okay to post here if you're a Cavs fan. Really..)

Broadcasting rights itself are here. But this company (Rakuten) took it exclusively since 2017/2018 season, NHK couldn't afford their share from them. There are still a couple of pay-channels on TV, but I was watching the entire time through NHK. So, there are no broadcasting for me any longer.

NBA is still popular here, but not that much compared to Michael Jordan era. I don't know but it might more decline in the future as NHK ceased broadcasting and children have little opportunity for watching NBA game, people would stop talking about it.

I feel sorry for younger generation about it because, once for me, watching their enormous dunk, magical three-point shot, super quick dribble saved my not-good-old-days countless times. Although they could watch FS instead nowadays :).

(I really root for GSW, I simply like Curry’s play :luv17:.)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Broadcasting rights itself are here. But this company (Rakuten) took it exclusively since 2017/2018 season, NHK couldn't afford their share from them. There are still a couple of pay-channels on TV, but I was watching the entire time through NHK. So, there are no broadcasting for me any longer.

NBA is still popular here, but not that much compared to Michael Jordan era. I don't know but it might more decline in the future as NHK ceased broadcasting and children have little opportunity for watching NBA game, people would stop talking about it.

I feel sorry for younger generation about it because, once for me, watching their enormous dunk, magical three-point shot, super quick dribble saved my not-good-old-days countless times. Although they could watch FS instead nowadays :).

(I really root for GSW, I simply like Curry’s play :luv17:.)

Thanks for explaining. Yeah, I saw Rakuten was a major GSW sponsor (their logo is on their uniforms). That's really too bad. Kind of crazy to think kids in Japan have better access to figure skating than the NBA!

DUBS WIN! And Curry really slayed tonight! Record number of three-pointers in the NBA finals! And some of those shots were WOOOAAH. Like this one: https://www.instagram.com/p/BjlgLL4l_gK/?taken-by=sportsillustrated

I hope he's on his way to that NBA Finals MVP (of course the Dubs has to win the championship first. :D). I think Dubs still needs to figure out LeBron defensively (or Iggy needs to come back...but I'm not putting my eggs all in that basket). .

ETA: This column sums up my feelings about the game: https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...9ed2e672adf_story.html?utm_term=.4ca63fac1fb5

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
Wow - what a game. I watch all kinds of sports, particularly baseball, but watching basketball makes me soooo nervous. Steph was amaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing last night. Nine 3-pointers. Puts him into 2nd place behind Jerry West for most 3-pointers in a post-season game. WOO HOO.

I expect we'll see Iguodala before the series is over. It's good to keep him out as long as possible to heal. But it will definitely be a different game with him playing. And as much as a do like Draymond, his taunting of Lebron after the game by wearing a tuxedo with cutoff pants was just a bit too much. I don't think it smacked of good sportsmanship. He just goes too far sometimes. I don't care for Lebron but you have to give the guy credit - he IS the Cavs./

noskates

Record Breaker
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeee - what a great game last night. We were on the edge of our seats until the final seconds. KD was awesome. People are criticizing Steph and saying he didn't play well but if you know basketball he played extremely well. He drew the Cavs' defense so frequently and it cleared the way for Kevin, et.al. to score. His 3 point toward the last few minutes was the first nail in the coffin.

Where are you Mrs. P? Want to gush with you.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
KD is unreal and amazing! Some of those shots were crazy amazing.

Steph also hit a crucial 3-pointer late in the game! I also agree with you that he did his part on getting people to the basket. And it was GREEEATTT seeing Iggy back -- he wasn't 100 percent, but it was obvious that he made a difference in the game. (This made me laugh hard.)

This WaPo column pretty much sums it up for me: https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...8eb28bc52b1_story.html?utm_term=.a58db58cddc8

As for Draymond, I get why people don't like him. I think he's more of the scallywag type for me. He makes me laugh and you can't deny his amazing playing.

noskates

Record Breaker
There is so much good about Draymond - charisma, personality, cheerleader, etc. but it bothers me when some of his antics can hurt the team. But if I had to draft ONE person for my team it would be a toss-up between Draymond and Iggy. Sometimes I wish he would pull it back just a tiny bit. Tiny being the operative word. This team reminds me so much of the Giants and the camaraderie and the closeness and it starts at the top. Steve Kerr is an awesome coach on so many levels.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
And we have back-to-back champions!

I was a bit sad that Steph didn't get MVP, especially with his performances during this game (and game 2), but basically KD pretty much single handily ensured a win in game 3, so I can't begrudge him that. But cool part of this whole playoff season is that many players go their chance to shine beyond the Hamptons 5 (and Iggy played his part in the Finals even though he was out for so many games!)

I really came out of being more of a fan of Javale McGree. He really stepped up when Iggy wasn't able to play as much. Nick Young has a ring so he can be known for something more than the guy that got snitched on. Shawn Livngston now has 3 NBA rings after struggling throughout his career pre-Warriors.

Well done Steve Kerr.

Now let Lebron's "The Decision 2.0" begin.

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
We pretty much knew KD was going to get the MVP. His performances in all 4 games were superlative. Steph was on fire last night though. Oh, by the way Mrs. P, I heard one of the players say Iguadala didn't like being called "Iggy!" Just saying - in case you ever meet him! :eeking: I was really nervous when the game started but not but a few minutes into it realized the Warriors could NOT be bested.....

Have been listening to kNBR pretty regularly and they (the talk show guys) say Lebron is one of the best basketball players ever but that he (1) hogs the ball; ((2) doesn't pass off enough; and (3) anyone playing with him has to realize HE is the king! Said KD is much more of a team player and leader. I guess everybody has an opinion.