Practice Wear | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Practice Wear

jf12

Final Flight
Pants that cling are not my body's friend, though. And I do skate 4-5 per week, so does that mean I should be fit enough to wear tight clothing? Alas, no. :drama: Some women, post-kids for example, would rather not have to wear things that cling at the belly. Or have medical issues that mean they don't have flat bellies, and would rather not show that off. I haven't quite found the ideal solution yet. I'm short, so that doesn't help. I don't want the pants to be super clingy around the belly, so leggings don't work. I would like them to not be too wide at the bottom so they don't catch in my blades, but... So I continue to look.

They make yoga leggings with a skirt attached, or you can buy a really short chiffon wrap skirt from a dance store that will cover the waist and butt that you can wear over leggings. Also a lot of yoga places make long tank tops that you could layer that cover the butt.

Another option for non-leggings people are those Adidas stretchy tapered soccer pants - Adidas Tiro 17. A lot of the guys wear them, and some girls too. They're looser around the butt and tapered and tight around the ankles, with zippers that you can zip down over your skates.

Girlbird

On the Ice
I wear yoga/athletic tights and if they aren't long enough to pull over the tops of my boots down to the heel, I wear legwarmers (or long socks I have cut the feet off of) because I like the look - I'm no Medvedeva but she's definitely the inspiration for that look. I feel like legwarmers/ballet inspired clothes were really popular at one point and since my background is ballet I guess it feels right to me to dress a bit like a dancer. On top, either a leotard or sports bra under a long-sleeved athletic top or an athletic tank. It depends on how cold the rink is and obviously I throw on a warmer layer like a fleece that I can take off once i'm warm. Footed tights underneath.

The athletic tights I wear in my daily life too, to dance classes and auditions and theater rehearsals, the occasional yoga class, and when I work as a nanny. I don't see the point of buying super-long pants with big openings I can only wear for skating , but skating is just a casual hobby for me. I like Athleta (size WAY WAY DOWN and you won't have a problem with them slipping down) and Lululemon and there's this great brand called Mondetta which I find at Marshall's, it's about a 1/3 of the price. They MUST be high-waisted, because low-rise leggings will just ride down, and don't look good on anyone. I have a long torso so it's just ridiculous. Who wants to have short looking legs?

As to the rather judgmental comments about lower level adult skaters wearing skating pants and skating skirts, why shouldn't they if they are serious about it? I see adult skaters in jeans and I'm just like "WHYYY would you wear jeans, you can't move in them." It's far more practical to have the right apparel so your coach can see your body and you can be warm and free to move about.

Petlover3

Spectator
Believe it or not, I have gotten several pairs of leggings (some black and some colorful patterns) at Walgreens. A couple of pairs of the black leggings have held up for 4 years.

concorde

Medalist
Somewhere earlier in this thread, someone mentioned padded shorts. Where did you get those? I want the ones that look like running shorts that you can pull on over leggings. I have seen one skater in them and she said that she got them at an out of state competition.

I have both the tight shorts that go under leggings and the "pads" that you insert into leggings. Both work but would love to find that running short version.

VegMom

On the Ice
Somewhere earlier in this thread, someone mentioned padded shorts. Where did you get those? I want the ones that look like running shorts that you can pull on over leggings.
The ones I got for my skater I got on Amazon. I get nearly everything online because our proshops cater to only girls and even then the selection is very limited.
Try Amazon or any of the many skate shops online.

At my rink:
LTS = normal clothes, nothing special
single jumps, beginning doubles = little kids and preteens, skating pants and other glitter
double jumps = late teens or coaches (who are all in their 20s-30s), high-quality black athletic clothing
Our rinks are similar except there's more color in the higher end skaters. One girl wears pink constantly. And she does doubles and triples. Others wear colors too. But they all include black somewhere - most have a black jacket and many wear black leggings. But the glittery stuff is mostly the younger, less experienced skaters. Or competition wear - the sparkles really come out then. The regular streetwear is seen in learn to skate and public sessions, though also there's a lot of hockey wear too.

concorde

Medalist
The ones I got for my skater I got on Amazon. I get nearly everything online because our proshops cater to only girls and even then the selection is very limited.
Try Amazon or any of the many skate shops online.

I have scoured both Amazon and all the online skating websites and I can only find the inserts and the skin tight shorts. I am seeking the looser fitting pads that more like jogging shorts.

I think the ones I am looking for are made by an individual who sells them at local competitions. The skater who has them used to live in Colorado so I think the vendor is located around there.

kelliusmaximus

Rinkside
To be honest, I don't really like skate wear or active wear in general. I wear yoga pants when it's winter because it's so cold, but the rest of the year I overheat easily and dress lighter. I like flesh coloured stockings + athletic skorts + a loose tshirt/polo shirt + a light jumper. I often wear legwarmers and I have a down jacket for while I'm warming up. I also have a second pair of gloves which is just a thin silk liner glove (usually used under motorbike gloves etc) because my hands get too hot in normal gloves.

I don't know anyone else who wears skirts and stockings, it seems to have gone way out of style but it's the most comfortable choice for me. I'm a bit fashion conscious and I don't like wearing plain pants in regular life either, my taste is consistent on and off ice lol.

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Really do not understand the judgment toward people who aren't in the best shape wearing specialized skating clothing. Is it not conceivable that part of why they're skating is to get themselves in better shape? Do they not deserve to be comfy? Believe it or not, people with different body types and at lower fitness levels can be most comfortable in a skating skirt, gasp.

g8rsara

Rinkside
I'd like to wear Chloe Noel and etc., but I'm usually an XXL in skate and dance wear, and most skating wear doesn't come in my size. I do have a Chloe Noel jacket - she has two jackets that come in my size, and one style of skating pants. I wear the jacket I have constantly. I'd buy more, if more was available. Apparently, larger people aren't allowed to like nice skate wear. IMO, a missed opportunity for the skating companies.

I wear XXL too, Iā€™m glad thereā€™s someone else out there!! I have a pair of Chloe Noel skinny pants in XXL that fit pretty well but have been having a hard time finding a jacket that doesnā€™t look like a potato sacks-time to check again, thanks!

Nimyue

On the Ice
I wear XXL too, Iā€™m glad thereā€™s someone else out there!! I have a pair of Chloe Noel skinny pants in XXL that fit pretty well but have been having a hard time finding a jacket that doesnā€™t look like a potato sacks-time to check again, thanks!

Shoot I wear size 6-8 jeans, but I have very large quads and there is no way Chloe Noel leggings would fit me. Besides not coming in large sizes, they don't come in medium sizes. I think it's just more aimed at teenagers.

I had better luck with Mondor, but still not a lot.

g8rsara

Rinkside
Shoot I wear size 6-8 jeans, but I have very large quads and there is no way Chloe Noel leggings would fit me. Besides not coming in large sizes, they don't come in medium sizes. I think it's just more aimed at teenagers.

I had better luck with Mondor, but still not a lot.

I wear a size 18 and actually the best leggings/pants I found were from VC-no idea who they are but they fit well and have held well through multiple wears and washings, havenā€™t shrunk, and were relatively inexpensive. Can purchase on eBay. When most XL are really M, you gotta do what you gotta do! Haha.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Those VC leggings look nice.

I don't know why but it always makes me nervous to see these leggings that come down over the back of the skate boot. For some reason I just picture a blade getting tangled up in that.

I suppose it's really no different than wearing boot covers but I just get a bad vision in my head.

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Those VC leggings look nice.

I don't know why but it always makes me nervous to see these leggings that come down over the back of the skate boot. For some reason I just picture a blade getting tangled up in that.

I suppose it's really no different than wearing boot covers but I just get a bad vision in my head.

I prefer boot coverage because I feel it keeps my laces in place correctly, and when you struggle with pronation as bad as I do, it's important that the tongue stays right where I put it.

I've never had it snag there, and I have really aggressive toe picks. It's tight, flush to your boot. Just like boot covers, as you said. I tend to nick the back of my leg in the calf area when I get up from a fall and rip my pants that way, though :sad4:

hanyuufan5

āœØ*ļ¼Š:怂*
Medalist
I can't believe I used to skate in regular pants. At least they were skinny pants, so I was only harming my own progress and not creating a safety hazard. :rolleye:

I could be wrong, but I'd say a good rule of thumb is if your skating clothes don't have enough stretch to fit your fist in there along with the rest of you (except maybe at the ankle or sleeve opening), they're too restrictive to wear skating.

Curlygirly81

On the Ice
I was so lucky to have come across (a while back) pants perfect for skating from Iviva! So basically lululemon for kids lol if you're a size 2-4 at lulu the 14 children fits the same. They're reversible, and are wider just at the bottom so it fits perfect over the top of my boot, I grabbed two pairs.. And they're warrantied for life. If they rip they'll fix or replace... Can't go wrong.. And they were on sale! Win win!

zjamic

Rinkside
Adidas soccer trainers are my favorite pants to wear šŸ˜, if I don't have my trainers then I wear Nike or Underarmour leggings; most of my pants cover the laces of my skates, but I tuck said laces under my tights. During the winter I wear athletic tops (usually with my college name imprinted on them), but my go-to are regular t-shirts that fits comfortably because I get warm after about 10-15 minutes on the ice. Sometimes I use a wind breaker jacket.

I find that some of my brand specific sports gear is cheaper than skating designed gear because my mom or I were able to get them on sales. Examples, my one pair of Nike pants were $5 and my adidas trainers were about $15 each on sale. Mine and my mom's luck on getting skate specific gear on sale is horrible

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
I prefer boot coverage because I feel it keeps my laces in place correctly, and when you struggle with pronation as bad as I do, it's important that the tongue stays right where I put it.

I'm intrigued - how does tongue placement affect your pronation? I pronate a bit and am trying to picture how the tongue slipping to one side or another might affect me. Would love to hear more details! :)

christy

On the Ice
It's been a few years but when I bought something from VC they provided sample fabrics as they have about 3 choices, so you could decide what worked best. I actually returned the item I bought as it didn't fit too well and they were really great about the return process too.

MiraiFan

Final Flight
It's been a few years but when I bought something from VC they provided sample fabrics as they have about 3 choices, so you could decide what worked best. I actually returned the item I bought as it didn't fit too well and they were really great about the return process too.

I have three pairs of Victoria's Challenge tights. One compression (sort of but not really); a stretch pair, and a fleecy pair. I love them and they fit well and stand up to washing and drying. Usually cheaper than the other major brands. I tend to get jackets and athletic tops on sale at Marshalls, Target, etc. even Costco! Next on the list, butt pad shorts.

Nimyue

On the Ice
I have three pairs of Victoria's Challenge tights. One compression (sort of but not really); a stretch pair, and a fleecy pair. I love them and they fit well and stand up to washing and drying. Usually cheaper than the other major brands. I tend to get jackets and athletic tops on sale at Marshalls, Target, etc. even Costco! Next on the list, butt pad shorts.

How does their sizing compare?

I wear a Large in Mondor, but I wear a size 4-6 in Lulu... wondering if I should follow the VC size chart and order S, split the difference and order M, or if they fit like Mondor and get a L...