Practice Wear | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Practice Wear

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
No. Like you, I just wear a tank top and yoga pants. I've never felt that it would be more beneficial to drop $80 on a pair of pants, even if those pants proclaimed to make me coffee.

Skating pants don't generally come in my size, anyway.

I would shamelessly buy pants that made me coffee.

davincisoprano

Rinkside
In general, I do not like Chloe Noel skating pants. I feel like they're made for smaller kids and they just make the patterns in bigger sizes, rather than change the patterns for larger people. I'm not even actually that large, and they fit me weird. The pants are basically 2 pant halves sewn together, with no real seaming or shaping, with a too low rise, and the waistband is too narrow. It's a shame because the material looks nice and warm. The 'size down' digs in at the waist, and the 'size up' I would constantly have to be pulling up. It could be just my body type and others might like it better.

My skating pants 'hack' is athleta yoga pants - but to make sure the leg opening is big enough, I get 7/8 leggings in the tall size. That way, the leg opening is designed to be a little bigger, and they are the same length as regular leggings. I love the design and fit of lululemon leggings, but most of them have really narrow leg openings and they don't make tall sizes.

I have this problem with Chloes as well. But even my size down, I'm constantly pulling up at the crotch but that's because I'm 5 feet tall.

I wear VS Sport leggings often. I just ordered a pair of Alo leggings, which I've seen in stores and really like the quality of. Tops is usually just a simple tank top and sports bra, plus either a north face jacket or a cardigan depending on what I am working on that day. Sometimes I will wear a hoodie instead if I need extra warmth.
Right now it's 100º in Florida, so I go in with a tank and layer up as needed.

Ducky

On the Ice
My skating pants 'hack' is athleta yoga pants - but to make sure the leg opening is big enough, I get 7/8 leggings in the tall size. That way, the leg opening is designed to be a little bigger, and they are the same length as regular leggings. I love the design and fit of lululemon leggings, but most of them have really narrow leg openings and they don't make tall sizes.

7/8 pants are a conspiracy against tall people to make us look as if we just recently came into a growth spurt.

jf12

Final Flight
7/8 pants are a conspiracy against tall people to make us look as if we just recently came into a growth spurt.

Its possible the entire market is average height people looking for loose leg opening regular leggings :laugh:

tothepointe

On the Ice
I have this problem with Chloes as well. But even my size down, I'm constantly pulling up at the crotch but that's because I'm 5 feet tall.

I wear VS Sport leggings often. I just ordered a pair of Alo leggings, which I've seen in stores and really like the quality of. Tops is usually just a simple tank top and sports bra, plus either a north face jacket or a cardigan depending on what I am working on that day. Sometimes I will wear a hoodie instead if I need extra warmth.
Right now it's 100º in Florida, so I go in with a tank and layer up as needed.

I like the VS leggings also. There was a particular style they made right before they rebranded into VS Sport made with a nice thermal compression fabric which I adore but they haven't made any out of quite the same fabric and now 3 years later they are looking a little sad. As I recall they were $90 but have outlasted all my other leggings so sometimes it is more cost effective to spend more if you can afford the upfront cost. I like the higher waist pants.

treblemakerem

On the Ice
I usually just wear 2 pairs of cheap $5 leggings that I got on Amazon. They are pretty long and stretch over my laces easily. I don't really care about looking fashionable. My rink is pretty warm so that's not really an issue for me. I'd rather save my money for more lessons or ice time rather than expensive practice gear.

Arwen17

Final Flight
I originally started out in plain black yoga pants. But I splurged on Chloe Noel and other pants with pretty designs when I decided I was seriously committed to figure skating. Other than my expensive pants, I just wear a tshirt and gloves and my club's jacket or theatre on ice jacket. I've got a few tshirts and a hoodie that are from competitions or our club or theatre on ice, so I wear that stuff too.

I've always had an adolescent-shaped body (no butt, no hips, just a tall beanpole), no matter how old I get. So other than the fact I'm extremely tall (5'9), I look good in any of the pants, same as the kids. Though I do NOT buy the really childish patterns, like pink sugar cupcakes or anything. XD

I have the purple spiral, the blue crystal spiral, and this fun design. I wear them constantly. I skate 5-6 days a week and I'm always wearing one of these 3 pants, so they are extremely well-used.
I don't think they look bad at all if you're in your 20s-30s and physically fit. I do think these designs can look rather childish on people in their 50s-60s or super unfit, but ultimately its their money, they can wear whatever they want.
Most of our older girls who are really advanced (ages 16-25) do NOT wear pants with designs. They just wear high-quality, totally black, sports clothing. Which is what you see Olympic skaters usually wearing. The designs are minimal or not there at all. Having more glitz and glam can potentially make you look more "junior" in the higher ranks. I wear it because: 1. its my money and 2. I didn't get to wear it as a child because mom didn't want to spend the money even though I was dying to have it. I'm fulfilling a long-denied childhood dream by wearing it. ;)

Funnily enough, I feel like my pants match my "skill level". The stuff I'm working on: axel, beginning doubles, is the same stuff the pre-teen girls are working on and they wear these kinds of pants too. hahaha. so maybe when I'm one of the "advanced" girls and have all my doubles, I'll want to wear all of the plain black stuff again. dunno...

At my rink:
LTS = normal clothes, nothing special
single jumps, beginning doubles = little kids and preteens, skating pants and other glitter
double jumps = late teens or coaches (who are all in their 20s-30s), high-quality black athletic clothing

adults = usually black or normal clothes since 99.99% of adults are in LTS levels. A rare few are really bizarre and wear skating skirts or skating pants even though they're still in LTS levels and super unfit. *shrugs* but that's their personal choice.
I'm the only adult skater in freestyle levels at my rink (outside of coaches), so that's why I can do whatever the hell I want lol. I'm not part of the "advanced" girls yet skill-wise, but I'm too old to be a part of the "pre-teens" who are in my actual skill level.

In terms of clothing, we also have "yuri on ice" cosplayers show up occasionally during public sessions. ;)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I originally started out in plain black yoga pants. But I splurged on Chloe Noel and other pants with pretty designs when I decided I was seriously committed to figure skating. Other than my expensive pants, I just wear a tshirt and gloves and my club's jacket or theatre on ice jacket. I've got a few tshirts and a hoodie that are from competitions or our club or theatre on ice, so I wear that stuff too.

I've always had an adolescent-shaped body (no butt, no hips, just a tall beanpole), no matter how old I get. So other than the fact I'm extremely tall (5'9), I look good in any of the pants, same as the kids. Though I do NOT buy the really childish patterns, like pink sugar cupcakes or anything. XD

I have the purple spiral, the blue crystal spiral, and this fun design. I wear them constantly. I skate 5-6 days a week and I'm always wearing one of these 3 pants, so they are extremely well-used.
I don't think they look bad at all if you're in your 20s-30s and physically fit. I do think these designs can look rather childish on people in their 50s-60s or super unfit, but ultimately its their money, they can wear whatever they want.
Most of our older girls who are really advanced (ages 16-25) do NOT wear pants with designs. They just wear high-quality, totally black, sports clothing. Which is what you see Olympic skaters usually wearing. The designs are minimal or not there at all. Having more glitz and glam can potentially make you look more "junior" in the higher ranks. I wear it because: 1. its my money and 2. I didn't get to wear it as a child because mom didn't want to spend the money even though I was dying to have it. I'm fulfilling a long-denied childhood dream by wearing it. ;)

Funnily enough, I feel like my pants match my "skill level". The stuff I'm working on: axel, beginning doubles, is the same stuff the pre-teen girls are working on and they wear these kinds of pants too. hahaha. so maybe when I'm one of the "advanced" girls and have all my doubles, I'll want to wear all of the plain back stuff again. dunno...

At my rink:
LTS = normal clothes, nothing special
single jumps, beginning doubles = little kids and preteens, skating pants and other glitter
double jumps = late teens or coaches (who are all in their 20s-30s), high-quality black athletic clothing

adults = usually black or normal clothes since 99.99% of adults are in LTS levels. A rare few are really bizarre and wear skating skirts or skating pants even though they're still in LTS levels and super unfit. *shrugs* but that's their personal choice.
I'm the only adult skater in freestyle levels at my rink (outside of coaches), so that's why I can do whatever the hell I want lol. I'm not part of the "advanced" girls yet skill-wise, but I'm too old to be a part of the "pre-teens" who are in my actual skill level.

In terms of clothing, we also have "yuri on ice" cosplayers show up occasionally during public sessions. ;)

That's interesting since my level doesn't correspond to your ranking of what color pants skaters wear and I know other skaters at my skill level that dress the same (aka not always plain black). YMMV.

tothepointe

On the Ice

Hahaha that's totally me. But that's because I love to sew and whip up new skirts the night before.

jf12

Final Flight
The only thing I would really not recommend but occasionally see -- at my rink there are a few 40+ ladies who do freestyle.. attempting axels, doing camel spins, etc, all in legit wide leg pants. At this point I guess they've been skating so long that they know how to manage around it, but it seems a little dangerous to me. It could be a matter of not wanting to show their body, but IMO if you're fit enough to skate every day you're fit enough to show that hard work off.

gkelly

Record Breaker
I am not fit enough to wear only leggings and shirt. Usually I wear either athletic shorts or a skating skirt/skirted bathing suit bottom over leggings. And a shirt that is long enough to come down over my belly, although I also usually leave a sweater on now that I'm no longer doing freestyle. 10-15-20 years ago I also sometimes wore a practice dress with a shirt over it. But I prefer leggings to tights, and I don't look good in a form-fitting top. Also practice dresses are much less common among the teen and preteen skaters than they were in the 90s or early 00s.

(Back when I was a teen skater myself, I wore practice dresses, and snowpants for patch. It was a different era.)

One thing I did learn the hard way about 15 years ago is that stretch pants that are wide around the ankles don't mix with backspins, or really any jumps from loop on up where you want to cross your ankles tightly. I still have a scar on my shin from catching the heel of my blade inside the pants on a backspin and going down.

Arwen17

Final Flight
The only thing I would really not recommend but occasionally see -- at my rink there are a few 40+ ladies who do freestyle.. attempting axels, doing camel spins, etc, all in legit wide leg pants. At this point I guess they've been skating so long that they know how to manage around it, but it seems a little dangerous to me. It could be a matter of not wanting to show their body, but IMO if you're fit enough to skate every day you're fit enough to show that hard work off.

Just imagining that scares me. I switched to ankle-tight yoga pants after getting caught only twice on slightly loose pants from unwinding during a loop jump landing. I didn't fall because my loop jumps were still tiny at that point, but its terrifying to have your blade caught on something when you're trying to unwrap and land!

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Okay, now that I've gotten more or less back to my former skill level and should be starting lessons soon, it's definitely time to leave the designer jeans for activities that involve less falling!

So, what's with the black practice wear? Is that a safety/visibility thing? Am I going to be creating any real hazard beyond maybe rustling some jimmies if I wear light colored or printed leggings/yoga pants?

gkelly

Record Breaker
I don't think light colors are a safety hazard, unless you're wearing white and the rink is extremely foggy.

Probably more a sense that dark colors are more flattering and/or signify more seriousness of purpose during practice. But if you want your practice clothes to signal "I'm wearing fun colors because practicing skating is fun" -- go for it!

Silver Ice

On the Ice
I think black or darker colors is a pretty preferred color for a lot of athletic training. It's the most typical color you see when shopping, maybe because stains/sweat/wetness from falling on ice shows up less than on lighter colors and it's more flattering?

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I wear a lot of black skating clothes but that has more to do with the fact my wardrobe is 90% black clothes...

At my rink most skaters wear a mix of colors.

Arwen17

Final Flight
I don't think light colors are a safety hazard, unless you're wearing white and the rink is extremely foggy.

lol that is so funny

Probably more a sense that dark colors are more flattering and/or signify more seriousness of purpose during practice.

100% why athletes in general are addicted to the color black. It doesn't mean that every single piece of exercise clothing they own is black, just that the majority of it is.

@hanyuufan5
Wear all the colors you want. You might even get a "hey I like your printed leggings" from someone wearing all black. Just because they're wearing black to show "seriousness" doesn't mean they don't enjoy seeing color on other skaters.

VegMom

On the Ice
I think the main issues in clothing are:
- not baggy (for safety reasons and so coach can see your “lines”)
- allows freedom to move
- keeps you the temperature you like (warm enough, layers to cool down)
- protects against minor injury

Leggings of any color are common but some skaters like tights with a skirt or shorts. Boys/men often wear sweat pants or track pants.

Tops are usually a T-shirt or tank with club jacket over (layers). Some wear a sweater or running jacket instead.

Some wear protective hats or wraps or scarves for warmth or protection.

I do think that dark or bright colors are best for safety. I think pastel colors, white, beige are slightly less safe but not a huge issue.

RoaringMice

On the Ice
I like the VS leggings also. There was a particular style they made right before they rebranded into VS Sport made with a nice thermal compression fabric which I adore but they haven't made any out of quite the same fabric and now 3 years later they are looking a little sad. As I recall they were $90 but have outlasted all my other leggings so sometimes it is more cost effective to spend more if you can afford the upfront cost. I like the higher waist pants.

This brand is massively too long for me. I bought a pair, but I can't wear them. It's tragic. ;)

RoaringMice

On the Ice
The rinks up here are often cold, sometimes very cold, so pants like the Chloe Noel that are a bit thicker and sometimes fleecy on the inside are a win. Likewise, skating jackets work, because they stretch and provide warmth without bulk. Thin leggings in my rinks would not be at all comfortable.

I wear yoga pants to skate, although the wide bottoms are not ideal. I do get mine straight leg, not truly wide leg, so that helps.

Pants that cling are not my body's friend, though. And I do skate 4-5 per week, so does that mean I should be fit enough to wear tight clothing? Alas, no. :drama: Some women, post-kids for example, would rather not have to wear things that cling at the belly. Or have medical issues that mean they don't have flat bellies, and would rather not show that off. I haven't quite found the ideal solution yet. I'm short, so that doesn't help. I don't want the pants to be super clingy around the belly, so leggings don't work. I would like them to not be too wide at the bottom so they don't catch in my blades, but... So I continue to look.

And I wear black because that's one of the few colors most athletic wear comes in. Stuff is boring.