Backloading Bonus Limited By ISU | Golden Skate

Backloading Bonus Limited By ISU

IceBallerina

On the Ice
Dubbed as the "Zagitova Rule" proposal 198 was passed by the ISU Congress today.

06/05/18 - Proposal 198 states that only one jump in the short program can receive a bonus in the second half, and only 3 jumps in the free. This comes after the controversy of Alina Zagitova, whose elements were stacked in the second half to receive bonus points.

Thoughts?

macy

Record Breaker
they were a lot more strict than i thought they'd be, i expected 2 in the short, and at least 4 in the free.

frida80

Record Breaker
Overkill. Why only 1 or 3 jumps? Aren’t these now front loaded programs? I don’t like it.

IceBallerina

On the Ice
My understanding is that you can still put your jumps wherever you want in the program, but only a few will get the bonus if you decide to backload.

"Zagitova rule" no. Evgenia bring the backloading with the SP, I propose a new name.

you can put your jumps wherever you want, but it wont receive bonus, right?

Ulrica

On the Ice
They went overboard tbh, should have made in a way that would let programs be more balanced.

mrrice

Record Breaker
My understanding is that you can still put your jumps wherever you want in the program, but only a few will get the bonus if you decide to backload.

Right....I think this is a nice change. The programs became an empty bore for 2:30 and then became a jumping frenzy in the final 1:30. I will be happy to see a balanced program that contains jumps throughout.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I don't get why they had to make it so strict. Now it'll just be 4-3 and 2-1 every single time. No variety.

With a 2, 4 backload limits at least there would have been a chance that someone would backload a different amount of jumps. Now it'll be 24 skaters with 4-3.

Right....I think this is a nice change. The programs became an empty bore for 2:30 and then became a jumping frenzy in the final 1:30. I will be happy to see a balanced program that contains jumps throughout.
I really don't get people who think that skating is boring when there's no jumps. Transitions and the choreo + step sequence are the most interesting, varied and meaningful elements.

I don't get why they had to make it so strict. Now it'll just be 4-3 and 2-1 every single time. No variety.

With a 2, 4 backload limits at least there would have been a chance that someone would backload a different amount of jumps. Now it'll be 24 skaters with 4-3.

I really don't get people who think that skating is boring when there's no jumps. Transitions and the choreo + step sequence are the most interesting, varied and meaningful elements.

I ask my friend this, and he said 'cause some skaters suck at that, but have nice jumps' so maybe its that :scratch2:

lyndichee

Medalist
I hated backloaded programs but this is overkill. I would just say 3/7 and 1/3 passes cannot be in the second half.

Also I really wish they didn't name this after Zagitova; she showed what it would be like to the extreme but it makes me kind of uncomfortable that young girls have their names attached to certain part of the scoring system to imply they did something wrong. If backloading played a huge role in increasing her score/increasing people's opinion of her athlete ability, then that's the fault of the system for allowing it and rewarding it, not the fault of the the skater.

Danibellerika

Medalist
Combos will probably be the last passes, but that bothers me less than an unbalanced program. If you can do combos in the second half after doing everything else then more power to you, especially since it's the last set of jumps. Though, I guess people could spend the first half front loading just to get the combos in as close to the half way mark as possible...

mau

3Lz3Lo3Lo3Lo3Lo
On the Ice
As an Alina fan I’m ok with they naming it after her, it shows that she’s powerful enough to make a whole sport changes its rules just because they can’t compete with her.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Good decision. Even if a bit too harsh. 2 jumps in bonus part in the SP and 4 jumps in bonus part in FS would have been fine.
Call that Zagitova rule is not a good name. She's not the only one who backload totally.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alina will be as famous as Elaine Zayak. ;)

Mathman....you said it best. The more things change the more they stay the same.

Skaters are going to still find a way to maximize their points and we’ll be right where we were before :popcorn:

mrrice

Record Breaker

My first question would be, have you ever been to a live event? As a dancer, I can appreciate and recognize the difference between a difficult and easy step sequence. As an athlete, I also understand how difficult it is to jump in the second half of a long program. As a spectator and long time skating fan, I can tell you that I find heavily backloaded programs to be dull and unbalanced. Just my opinion.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
So if a skater still do a fully backloaded program will it be called zagitoving?

I want to see who will have the guts to land combos as last elements, mostly in SP. In FS those who usually land 3-3-3s in practice can add a missed jump on another combo.