2018-2019 US Ice Dance | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2018-2019 US Ice Dance

Bcash

Final Flight
You keep proving you know nothing of which you talk about. They can "work" all they want, but the judges have shown again this season that P/C will be unbeatable yet again barring some unforeseen disaster. They can put in how many hours of "work" but the reality is that it will not likely translate into gold medals.

On the other hand, I just watched the Parsons's To Build a Home[/I] program. Who decided this was a good idea? Whoever did, should be fired. P/C's To Build a Home is maybe one of the greatest FD performances, at least one of the most memorable ones, of recent times, and it is not even that long ago! It would be like if Chait/Sakhnovski skated to T/D's Bolero or something. Or if Chait teamed up with Maurizio Margaglio to skate G/P's Memorial FD. Horrible, horrible decision. Who would want that comparison?

Parsons are a physically limited team and that will prevent them from going far. But this program is not bad at all choreo-wise. They are not medal contenders so using that music registers as more “bold” than “wrong-headed”.

Bcash

Final Flight
It was Navka & Kostomarov who skated to Bolero their first season together;). They did very very well with their career. As was true for N&K, the Parsons aren't in a battle with P&C. Their coaches probably figured that it didn't matter. The music was a style that worked well for the Parsons in the past, and it does. It's a nice step up from their program last season, and they've had a successful season.

They went from finishing last at Skate America last season to winning their first GP medal and defeating Hurtado & Khaliavin, Wang & Liu, Smart & Diaz, and Popova & Mozgov head-to-head in competition. The Parsons have had better levels on the pattern all season than Hawayek & Baker. And they defeated Carreira & Ponomarenko head-to-head despite loads of hype for C&P heading into Nebelhorn.

Postscript: Meanwhile Papadakis & Cizeron are skating to Bobrova & Soloviev's FD music from last season.

Pretty sure Bobrova didn’t skate to Rachel Yamagata last season.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Pretty sure Bobrova didn’t skate to Rachel Yamagata last season.

B/S used Oblivion in their FD last year, which P/C are using for the RD. I don't consider that the same as the Parsons using To Build A Home (though that doesn't actually bother me), but that that's what the reference was.

Shani

On the Ice
Torun was a first competition for Chock and Bates to take the edge off before Nationals. I have no doubt they will make changes and probably will take at least silver at Nationals. They have a lot of experience, and Hubbell and Donohue have made a lot of mistakes in competition in the past that stopped them placing higher. We'll just have to wait and see. I liked Hawayek and Baker this season, and Carreira/Ponomarenko too.

1904sk8

On the Ice
You keep proving you know nothing of which you talk about. They can "work" all they want, but the judges have shown again this season that P/C will be unbeatable yet again barring some unforeseen disaster. They can put in how many hours of "work" but the reality is that it will not likely translate into gold medals.

On the other hand, I just watched the Parsons's To Build a Home[/I] program. Who decided this was a good idea? Whoever did, should be fired. P/C's To Build a Home is maybe one of the greatest FD performances, at least one of the most memorable ones, of recent times, and it is not even that long ago! It would be like if Chait/Sakhnovski skated to T/D's Bolero or something. Or if Chait teamed up with Maurizio Margaglio to skate G/P's Memorial FD. Horrible, horrible decision. Who would want that comparison?

I thought the same thing. It doesn't help the Parson's at all. It is a beautiful piece of music, but not a good choice. Nothing will live up to P/C To Build a Home and why would you even want to be compared to them in the first place? It was a bold and bad move, which is sad because they are great skaters in their own right.

oly2018

Final Flight
You can say what you will about the P/C comparison, but I don't think To Build a Home is a bad program for the Parsons. The lyrics work for a sibling team and I think their interpretation is different. With that being said, I think they need better music choices going forward. Being a young adult, sibling ice dance team is going to make things harder for them. I am a huge Shibs fan and I think what always worked for them, was their inherent connection to each other. The Parsons just need to find some music that highlights their relationship and what that brings to the ice. Of the Maryland teams, I prefer them, but I think they are at risk of slipping in the wild west that is the US Ice Dance pecking order.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
You can say what you will about the P/C comparison, but I don't think To Build a Home is a bad program for the Parsons. The lyrics work for a sibling team and I think their interpretation is different. With that being said, I think they need better music choices going forward. Being a young adult, sibling ice dance team is going to make things harder for them. I am a huge Shibs fan and I think what always worked for them, was their inherent connection to each other. The Parsons just need to find some music that highlights their relationship and what that brings to the ice. Of the Maryland teams, I prefer them, but I think they are at risk of slipping in the wild west that is the US Ice Dance pecking order.

I agree. I'd also like to see them do something fun - their hip hop SD was a good fit I think.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Woo-hoo! Emily Samuelson :luv17: will give Ice Desk commentary at Nats.

As will Mirai, Michael Weiss, Brooke Castile.

Ice Desk will stream live on YouTube and Facebook.

Cross-posting from the fan thread for Avonley Nguyen and Vadym Kolesnik:

Long new Q and A with them:

Conducted before JGPF, but newly published yesterday.

Lots of interesting stuff here. :) Among other things, they discuss how they selected their FD music. Vadym, Avonley, and Igor all contributed to the selection process.

Good luck to Avonley and Vadym (my favorite junior dancers) at Nats. :yay:​

ETA (on Jan 17):

And … new USFS fanzone interview today with Avonley and Vadym:

https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...d-vadym-kolesniks-bright-eyes-and-future.aspx (Jan 17)​

And good luck to Rachel and Michael Parsons (my favorite senior dancers :yes:). :yay:

I love their skating. And they are such nice people off ice.

USFS has announced a new award named after D/W:

The Davis and White Global Excellence Award will be presented annually based on a formula that includes placement/points at the U.S. Championships and world ranking points from designated international championship events. The senior ice dance team with the highest combined point total will receive the trophy.

https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...noring-first-olympic-ice-dance-champions.aspx (Jan 16)​

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Woo-hoo! Emily Samuelson :luv17: will give Ice Desk commentary at Nats. (

As will Mirai, Michael Weiss, Brooke Castile.

Ice Desk will stream live on YouTube and Facebook.

Cross-posting from the fan thread for Avonley Nguyen and Vadym Kolesnik:

Long new Q and A with them:

Conducted before JGPF, but newly published yesterday.

Lots of interesting stuff here. :) Among other things, they discuss how they selected their FD music. Vadym, Avonley, and Igor all contributed to the selection process.

Good luck to Avonley and Vadym (my favorite junior dancers) at Nats. :yay:​

ETA (on Jan 17):

And … new USFS fanzone interview today with Avonley and Vadym:

https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...d-vadym-kolesniks-bright-eyes-and-future.aspx (Jan 17)​

And good luck to Rachel and Michael Parsons (my favorite senior dancers :yes:). :yay:

I love their skating. And they are such nice people off ice.

USFS has announced a new award named after D/W:

The Davis and White Global Excellence Award will be presented annually based on a formula that includes placement/points at the U.S. Championships and world ranking points from designated international championship events. The senior ice dance team with the highest combined point total will receive the trophy.

https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...noring-first-olympic-ice-dance-champions.aspx (Jan 16)​

Thanks ice coverage! Never seen an extended video of the Parsons off ice before - they seem very mature and grounded for their age. I can see that they have challenges that other teams don't (can't do sexy/romantic, small height difference, etc.), but hopefully they will continue to improve and evolve. And as you say, such nice people!

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Delighted to hear that the Parsons are your favorite senior ice dancers, ice coverage! And from seeing them in person at a local send off/exhibition for WISA in their second to last year as juniors (which also included M/C and other top WISA teams), I totally agree that the Parsons are nice people off the ice. They really impressed and stood out to me in the way they interacted with the fans at the informal meet and greet afterwards. They were so warm, friendly, and genuine, you’d never have guessed that they were among the top ranked teams in the world.

Matt K

On the Ice
Parsons are a physically limited team and that will prevent them from going far. But this program is not bad at all choreo-wise. They are not medal contenders so using that music registers as more “bold” than “wrong-headed”.

It is not about the program being "not bad at all choreo-wise" or whatever-wise. It can be the most dazzling piece of IJS choreography ever seen. Who cares? The music choice and the style of the piece is a wrong-headed move. A start of a new quad, and the Parsons are trying to break through, and they choose this material? A team trying to break through with the same music from the signature program from the leading ice dance team at the moment. Again, it is like if Galit Chait paired up with Maurizio Margaglio or something or Jerrod Swallow and decided to skate to T/D's Bolero in 1987.

There may be teams who want to emulate the lyrical-contemporary style that P/C and H/B are doing etc. But choosing the same music is just plain wrong-headed. Why would anyone want to warrant that comparison? Whoever is consulting on these choices should be fired.

And alas, the Parsons have changed their FD to Bohemian Rhapsody. See? Wrong headed move from the very start.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
USFS Fan Zone has added bios for several junior dance couples. New (AFAIK/IIRC) bios:

(Bios for other junior dancers have been updated after Nats:

Good luck to Avonley/Vadym, Eliana/Ian, and Caroline/Gordon at Junior Worlds! :yay:

For anyone wondering about Caleb Wein, he apparently gave a solo performance at the recent Skate From The Heart show (Feb 16):

Do we have news of Chloe Lewis / Logan Bye ? :confused:

Not an answer to your question, but at Nats in Detroit, I saw Logan from afar a couple of times on the concourse at Little Caesars.
I was happy to catch glimpses of him, but I'm sad that I never had a chance to speak to him this year. He was so sweet and friendly at 2018 Nats. :luv17:

I too would be interested in news of Logan and/or Chloe.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My nomination for ID team who used this season's new opportunity to the utmost, to the max, is Karina Manta and Joe Johnson.

I hadn't seen their FD until being live at US nationals. As soon as we finished our standing ovation, I said, "I've got to see who choreographed." I looked it up in the program, then said, "Oh! No wonder."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Nc3meLoj-8 - NBC, with Tanith Belbin White commentating.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Detroit will be the site of an ISU seminar on the new Tea Time Foxtrot, the required pattern dance for Junior RD in 2019-20.

The ISU Ice Dance Technical Committee (IDTC), in cooperation with Skate Canada and U.S. Figure Skating Association, is organizing the Special Sponsored Topic Seminar:
ISU Ice Dance Seminar for Judges, Technical Panel, Coaches and Couples on the new Pattern Dance – Tea Time Foxtrot
Detroit, Michigan, April 27th- 28th, 2019​
The Seminar is primarily for the Officials, Coaches and Ice Dance Couples of the Host ISU Members. However, it is also open to other ISU Members in the “Four Continents” Region.
The goal is to educate Officials, Coaches and their Dance teams on the new Pattern Dance, TeaTime Foxtrot, selected by the IDTC for Juniors’ for the 2019/20 season. The Seminar will start on Saturday, April 27th at 8.00 am and will end on Sunday, April 28th at 4.00 pm.
Participants are requested to bring their skates, as the workshops will be conducted on ice. There will be 5 hours of on ice sessions on both Saturday and Sunday.
The Seminar will be videotaped for future instruction. ...

https://isu.org/inside-isu/isu-comm...ial-sponsored-topic-seminar-detroit-2019/file (Feb 26)​

Hope that many U.S. juniors (among others) will be able to attend.

(In January, a six-hour Tea Time Foxtrot on-ice seminar was held in Poland in conjunction with Mentor Torun Cup, led by "inventors of the dance Natalia Kaliszek and Maksym Spodyriev together with their coach Sylwia Nowak -Trębacka.")

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Carreira and Ponomarenko are performing in NYC tomorrow (Wed Mar 13) at 6 pm at Wollman Rink -- per their social media.

At the moment, I do not see any other online information except that the Wollman Rink site has a calendar listing for "Ice Show & Family Skating Party."

ETA (on Mar 13):
Tweet today from Skating Club of New York: https://twitter.com/SkatingClubofNY/status/1105848384118611968

ETA (later on Mar 13):
Turns out that Oona and Gage Brown also performed. :)

Congratulations to Avonley and Vadym for their small bronze medal for their Junior Worlds free dance. :bow: :luv17:

So happy that they were invited to perform in the gala. :dance2:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Avonley and Vadym were very impressive. 1) a small medal at their first Junior Worlds. 2) the highest technical base value of any of the competing teams; and 3) 4th place finish!

Plus, they really are such enjoyable Ice Dancers to watch. On top of everything else, they have an IT factor. :love:

On a side note, Igor looks so happy this year and seems to be more relaxed, IMHO. The partnership with Camerlengo seems to suit him well.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Chock/Bates, who have won PSA's 2019 Best Performance Award for their FD at Nats. :)

[In other disciplines, PSA gave the award to the 2019 senior national champions (Chen FS, Liu FS, Cain/LeDuc FS). Ice Dance the only exception.]

Apologies if I am the last to know -- but I had not seen any mention elsewhere of this year's award winners.

(Not sure whether PSA has stopped using "EDI" as part of the name of Best Performance Awards??)

Congratulations also to Hubbell/Donohue for bronze at Worlds. (Also small bronze for their FD.) :bow:

Random FYI that per his listing on icepartnersearch, Grant Kulenkamp is switching from singles to ice dance. Moving from Arizona to Florida to train with Zueva.