2018-2019 US Ice Dance | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2018-2019 US Ice Dance

ice coverage

Record Breaker
… Will really miss seeing novice nationals on Ice Network this season. ...

btw, USFS Fan Zone is supposed to have novice nationals.

Not clear whether live streaming, but video at least?

Per the FAQ for NBC Gold:

Are events like the U.S. Adult Championships still going to be covered?

Yes, the U.S. Adult Figure Skating Championships, along with the juvenile, intermediate and novice levels at the U.S. championships and its qualifying competitions, the juvenile, intermediate, novice, adult and masters levels of U.S. Synchronized Skating and qualifying competitions, Theater on Ice and several other competitions and off-ice programming will be available on the revamped U.S. Figure Skating Fan Zone (coming early Fall 2019).

What will happen to video archives prior to the 2017-18 season?

The new NBC Sports Gold subscription service will offer access to the past year of events, for senior and junior level competitions. The new U.S. Figure Skating Fan Zone, which will have free access to novice, intermediate and juvenile level competitions, and more, will archive footage for two seasons. ...​

ETA (on Aug 16):

The revamped U.S. Figure Skating Fan Zone, which will launch in the early Fall, will stream figure skating competition levels (novice, intermediate and juvenile) and synchronized skating levels not appearing on NBC Sports Gold, as well as many other events (including the U.S. Adult Sectional and Championships, Theatre on Ice, National Showcase and more). These events will be free to view.

http://usfigureskating.org/story?id=91621&type=media

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Anyone have news of the Greens? I'm not seeing them on any entry lists for JGP yet and am surprised.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Anyone have news of the Greens? I'm not seeing them on any entry lists for JGP yet and am surprised.

They competed in June at the Chesapeake Open but not at Lake Placid, which they usually attend in July. They were assigned to the first JGP and then withdrawn. They also aren't at the Champs Camp for the young U.S. athletes (which they would certainly have been invited to as they have two JGP medals and a silver from Junior Nationals). My guess is that one of them is dealing with an injury, but that's just a guess. We don't know anything. They are still on the sub lists so hopefully they may still be able to make it back to competition during the JGP, but we probably shouldn't be holding our breaths.

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They competed in June at the Chesapeake Open but not at Lake Placid, which they usually attend in July. They were assigned to the first JGP and then withdrawn. They also aren't at the Champs Camp for the young U.S. athletes (which they would certainly have been invited to as they have two JGP medals and a silver from Junior Nationals). My guess is that one of them is dealing with an injury, but that's just a guess. We don't know anything. They are still on the sub lists so hopefully they may still be able to make it back to competition during the JGP, but we probably shouldn't be holding our breaths.

I was afraid of that. I noticed the yes CO but no LP pattern and was hoping it was just a scheduling thing or something, but if they've withdrawn from a JGP too... :cry: I hope they're back on the scene ASAP. They're my favorite junior team by a mile.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Wow :dance2: … Gropman/Somerville's FD :luv17: at JGP Bratislava today was a thing of beauty. Gorgeous and mature. :bow:

They skated third in the last group, starting at approx. 1:56:27 on the full video for the segment.

Their individual video begins a few seconds after the program started:

Congratulations to G/S for winning the bronze. :yay:

Thumbs up. Where are you finding the emojis now?

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
(Was/is GS having a glitch with emojis? For me, still here: https://goldenskate.com/forum/misc.php?do=getsmilies&editorid=vB_Editor_001)

There is nothing there. Only a message saying "this content is not supported via the mobile style." (I don't have a mobile anything. Just use a regular laptop). For me, the emojis were always available before when you went to respond to a message. Now, (starting a couple weeks ago) the font & formatting has all changed on the board. No emojis. No likes. No dates on the forum page of when the last post for each thread were posted). And no threads anywhere discussing any of these changes, why things are gone, or how to obtain them. I have been given a season pass and can enter the competition forum. My mother's computer shows the same changes to the font so I assumed that everyone was seeing the same changes to the board.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
There is nothing there. Only a message saying "this content is not supported via the mobile style." (I don't have a mobile anything. Just use a regular laptop). For me, the emojis were always available before when you went to respond to a message. Now, (starting a couple weeks ago) the font & formatting has all changed on the board. No emojis. No likes. No dates on the forum page of when the last post for each thread were posted). And no threads anywhere discussing any of these changes, why things are gone, or how to obtain them. I have been given a season pass and can enter the competition forum.

Do you think it is possible that gsk8 is unaware?

Your posts in this thread are the first that I am hearing that anyone is having these problems. Not trying to rub salt in your wounds, but I (also on my laptop) have not had any of these issues. GS working fine for me with Windows 10 and Microsoft Edge browser.
(In case relevant: I do not have a season pass, and thus am not entering the competition forum.)

If I were you, I would try reporting the problems in the Feedback forum. Good luck.

I have a question for you about Gropman/Somerville. Both in the RD and FD, do you think it would be possible for Eliana to hold her position (standing on Ian's leg) for a just a tiny bit longer -- without getting a time deduction?

I do not want to sound unsupportive of them. Just wish that the visual impact did not go by so fast.
I do see that they got Level 4s with good GOE, so is it a matter of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
There is nothing there. Only a message saying "this content is not supported via the mobile style." (I don't have a mobile anything. Just use a regular laptop). For me, the emojis were always available before when you went to respond to a message. Now, (starting a couple weeks ago) the font & formatting has all changed on the board. No emojis. No likes. No dates on the forum page of when the last post for each thread were posted). And no threads anywhere discussing any of these changes, why things are gone, or how to obtain them. I have been given a season pass and can enter the competition forum. My mother's computer shows the same changes to the font so I assumed that everyone was seeing the same changes to the board.

Take #2 for my reply:

I think maybe you accidentally are getting GS "mobile" formatting -- which once in a while (going back for years) does happen to me on my laptop. (I do not know why.)

Example of mobile formatting: https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?5-The-Arena&styleid=5

If that is the case: To get out of mobile formatting, scroll down to the bottom of the page, and click on "Full Site." Hope that works.

(I have no explanation for why mobile formatting is showing up both on your laptop and on your mother's computer.)​

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Do you think it is possible that gsk8 is unaware?

Your posts in this thread are the first that I am hearing that anyone is having these problems. Not trying to rub salt in your wounds, but I (also on my laptop) have not had any of these issues. GS working fine for me with Windows 10 and Microsoft Edge browser.
(In case relevant: I do not have a season pass, and thus am not entering the competition forum.)

If I were you, I would try reporting the problems in the Feedback forum. Good luck.

Thank you. I will do so. I'm wondering now if they are caused by whatever program runs the "no ad" format associated with the season's passes. Perhaps it is too modern to function correctly on my current browsers. I have a MacBook Air.

No idea on your question. Have always hated the timed lift rules & deductions. Think they only undermine the quality of the lifts and that the number of seconds has nothing to do with the quality of a dance program. Often the best lifts are the ones that get marked down. I appreciate that we don't have umpteen lifts any more because I do feel the footwork and other elements deserve equal value and appreciation by the audience & choreographers, but as there are only 1-3 lifts these days, I don't think they are likely to overwhelm the full program.

I'm sure the rules for timing can be found if we dig around for them, and we could take a closer look. (G&S have been doing a version of that one lift forever, the one where she goes up and then down. My guess is they know exactly what they can get away with on it. I'd love to see something completely different. I like the new rotational lift though).

One thing I have noticed this season is that far MORE teams seem to be compelled to lift the girl up again for a quick less-spectacular move after the main lift and/or dance spin is done in order to get the exit features. I find this trend super annoying, though I appreciate how lightly G&S accomplish it. (A lot of them look clunky and sometimes like the guy is winded). On the plus side, we are getting more twizzles & interesting footwork in & out of the lifts instead of lengthy set ups. This I like.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thank you. I will do so. I'm wondering now if they are caused by whatever program runs the "no ad" format associated with the season's passes. Perhaps it is too modern to function correctly on my current browsers. I have a MacBook Air. ...

As you were posting in my response to my first reply, I posted a second reply -- about getting rid of mobile formatting when it shows up on a laptop.

I hope :pray: that maybe my second reply will be helpful.

… (G&S have been doing a version of that one lift forever, the one where she goes up and then down. My guess is they know exactly what they can get away with on it. I'd love to see something completely different. I like the new rotational lift though).

One thing I have noticed this season is that far MORE teams seem to be compelled to lift the girl up again for a quick less-spectacular move after the main lift and/or dance spin is done in order to get the exit features. I find this trend super annoying, though I appreciate how lightly G&S accomplish it. ...

Thanks for your comments on G/S's curve lift. Did not know that they have been using it forever … understand what you are saying that their timing already is tried and true.

I also liked your reference to G/S's appearance of "lightness" -- that they use their strength to make things look effortless. :cool:

Belatedly adding that I am super-happy for Karina/Joe re Skate America. :hap93:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Did not know that they have been using it forever … understand what you are saying that their timing already is tried and true.

A version of it. Probably not exactly the same. But two main positions. One up, one down. Yes.

Am glad Haines & Koszuta have a berth on the JGP this week. They didn't get an international after winning novices because they weren't age-eligible for advanced novices. Then didn't get onto the JGP last season because they didn't come on strong enough during the summer season to get the ISP qualifying score. But they defeated four teams on last year's ISP at U.S. Nationals, and they have a lovely FD this season. Glad to see them getting the chance to share it.

chameleon

On the Ice
I hope the Greens can at least make it to JGP Armenia, though at this point I'll just be happy to see them at full strength at Nationals. I hope Nguyen/Kolesnik can pull off another silver medal for their first JGPF trip.

Parsons seemed steadier this week, although they're still having some level struggles. I look forward to seeing them face off with Carreira/Ponomarenko at Nebelhorn in two weeks.

I've got to say I'm not really sold on either H/D program this season, but I hope they'll evolve over the season.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Hubbell/Donohue are nominated for the USOC's "Best of Oct 2018" (Team of the Month category). :cool:

Please VOTE for Madi/Zach here: https://awards.teamusa.org/vote

Madison Hubbell and Zachary Donohue, Figure Skating
Earned back-to-back Grand Prix gold medals in ice dance at Skate America and Skate Canada International, earning their fourth straight Grand Prix Final berth and continuing their medal streak at 11 consecutive Grand Prix Series events.

ETA:

Fans are invited to vote for their favorite athletes and teams at TeamUSA.org/Awards through midnight Tuesday, Nov. 6.

And the USOC site encourages voters to vote repeatedly. :yes:​

(BTW, Nathan is nominated in the category of Male Athlete of the Month. :))

Good luck to Lorraine/Quinn and Christina/Anthony at GP Finland this week. :yay:

And … best wishes to Avonley/Vadym as they train for their first JGPF. :dance2:

rosacotton

Final Flight
Things are happening in US ice dance!

*Lorraine/Quinn and Rachel/Michael have earned their first ever grand prix medals!!:hap57::hap10:
*Kaitlin/Jean-Luc won their first grand prix event!!!! :hap93::dance3:
*Madi and Zach I believe are now the big favorites to win the GPF with the French out of the final.

Giselle

Medalist
We'll see what happens in the last 2 GPs but I think Stepanova/Bukin will be the top qualifier for the GPF. They'll probably score higher overall than Hubbell/Donohue since it's a later home GP.

Congratulations to Hawayek/Baker!!!

Internationaux de France will be a bloodbath but I believe that if we have the following results, all 3 teams eying for the GPF at IDF will qualify:

1st Papadakis/Cizeron
2nd Gilles/Poirier
3rd Sinitsina/Katsalapov
4th Hawayek/Baker

The GPF would be S/B, H/D, G/F, S/K, H/B, G/P. Z/G would be 1st alternate.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
The Greens skated in a recent send-off performance for Sectionals. We should be seeing them there.