2018-2019 US Ice Dance | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2018-2019 US Ice Dance

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I heard that Chen is with Katarina. :confused:

It would make sense. Chen & Wolfkostin have competed against each other at the same level and both were the stronger halves of their partnerships, IMO. Anyway, it's a logical pairing, I think. Their resumes are quite similar. There's some potential there if the partnership turns out to be legit.

larat

On the Ice
It would make sense. Chen & Wolfkostin have competed against each other at the same level and both were the stronger halves of their partnerships, IMO. Anyway, it's a logical pairing, I think. Their resumes are quite similar. There's some potential there if the partnership turns out to be legit.

I would disagree with the stronger part comment.They both are known for changing partners a lot in the past.

Lulu39

Rinkside
For Michael Parsons:Caroline Green will be good with him. Both sibling experience and both strong skaters. Age is a bit of a difference but I bet she can do it.

Lulu39

Rinkside
I believe Wolfkostin's first partner quit competing when he was like 10, so not sure that counts. Who knows the other reasons for splits? I think some of these kids deserve to be allowed to try a new match. As for Gropman and Somerville, my heart goes out to her because she had always sounded like she treasured their friendship in addition to their skating partnership, and it was like for almost 10 years! Good luck Eliana, in all that you do.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
For Michael Parsons:Caroline Green will be good with him. Both sibling experience and both strong skaters. Age is a bit of a difference but I bet she can do it.

I think she's a bit tall for him, especially since she may not be done growing. She's list as just 2 cm less than Rachel (and a lot of people thought the height difference for them was too small), and if Caroline were to grow more then it could be a big problem. And the age difference is 8 years. That's very significant, especially since she's 15. Also, it really doesn't matter that both had experience skating with siblings before, since the new partnership would not be a sibling team.

Eliana Gropman would make more sense, since she's older and shorter than Caroline, if it's going to be someone from WISA. But I'm excited to see who he ends up pairing up with. If it is Caroline, I'll just hope she doesn't grow at all.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Yes, true. I guess it depends whats going on in the heads of the WISA coaches...

Also depends on who they can find to match Caroline (provided Caroline is looking for a partner). Her footwork & edgework are stronger than most of the junior guys. There are very few U.S. guys getting higher than level 2 on the footwork or the pattern internationally. Most of them are at WISA, and neither Michael nor Ian is tall. Yehorov is on the ISP with Cesanek. Per a poster on FSU, Caleb is skating with Angela Ling. Kolesnik doesn't need a partner. The top U.S. novice guys coming up are even smaller than Ian & Michael. Chen is reportedly at Novi.

I like the idea of Eliana with Michael. (I can see that both Caroline & Michael have the footwork & edgework so there is an argument there, but I do think height could be a legitimate impediment longterm; plus Caroline would lose out on all those junior seasons to develop as a competitor amid the junior international field).

For Caroline, though, I don't know without Gordon. (Vakhnov, maybe, but he's not listed so he probably already has a partner; and she would lose her junior seasons anyway).

Lulu39

Rinkside
Does anyone know if Maxwell Gart has found a partner? I liked him with Cesanek, not so much with Nguyen (though I like her a lot wth Kolesnik), and I really liked him with Delcamp. I would be interested to see him with someone else and I hope he is still skating. I have been following him since he was little. Hey Eliana give him a call!

With Delcamp, from Dakota to Dylan to Maxwell she has grown and I think she is very womanly now. Still lots to learn though, I think,right? It is maybe good for her to go to WISA. I wish her best of luck.

With Jeffrey Chen, I liked him with Karnes and Buckley but Wolfkostin is lovely and maybe a better match. I liked Wolfkostin with Zhao too, but with Chen I would be very happy and interested to see how they perform together. Looking forward to something fresh and new from them!

I am especially excited for Cesanek and Yohorov. I liked Cesanek with Gart, but not with Jahoda, and not with Usanov. I didn't remember much of Yehorov with his last three partners, but last year with Cesanek together they looked so manly/womanly! What I mean is they look so expressive and powerful. IMO. :love:

I do like the idea of Michael with Eliana. Or Caroline. They all trained together for so long so its possible they are on the same page as far as thinigs to consider. The changes aren't always negative. Its a sport with a lot of time and money involved so the partnership decisions really need to be thoughtful. Someone posted a while ago that the boys can be callous because there are fewer of them and they are valued more and they typically have no problem finding a girl. I've heard instances of this for sure! But sometimes these ar collective decisions from skaters, parents, coaches, the team. The changes are always hard on someone and I would expect some bad blood for awhile, but I'm going to assume the best for everyone. I'm forever on the lookout for not just great ice dancing but signs of sportsmanship. All so exciting! From what I remember of the WISA coaches, they certainly make decisions taking into consideration of a lot of factors, mostly business and some personal. Good luck guys! We will keep cheering you on!

larat

On the Ice
Does anyone know if Maxwell Gart has found a partner? I liked him with Cesanek, not so much with Nguyen (though I like her a lot wth Kolesnik), and I really liked him with Delcamp. I would be interested to see him with someone else and I hope he is still skating. I have been following him since he was little. Hey Eliana give him a call!

With Delcamp, from Dakota to Dylan to Maxwell she has grown and I think she is very womanly now. Still lots to learn though, I think,right? It is maybe good for her to go to WISA. I wish her best of luck.

With Jeffrey Chen, I liked him with Karnes and Buckley but Wolfkostin is lovely and maybe a better match. I liked Wolfkostin with Zhao too, but with Chen I would be very happy and interested to see how they perform together. Looking forward to something fresh and new from them!

I am especially excited for Cesanek and Yohorov. I liked Cesanek with Gart, but not with Jahoda, and not with Usanov. I didn't remember much of Yehorov with his last three partners, but last year with Cesanek together they looked so manly/womanly! What I mean is they look so expressive and powerful. IMO. :love:

I do like the idea of Michael with Eliana. Or Caroline. They all trained together for so long so its possible they are on the same page as far as thinigs to consider. The changes aren't always negative. Its a sport with a lot of time and money involved so the partnership decisions really need to be thoughtful. Someone posted a while ago that the boys can be callous because there are fewer of them and they are valued more and they typically have no problem finding a girl. I've heard instances of this for sure! But sometimes these ar collective decisions from skaters, parents, coaches, the team. The changes are always hard on someone and I would expect some bad blood for awhile, but I'm going to assume the best for everyone. I'm forever on the lookout for not just great ice dancing but signs of sportsmanship. All so exciting! From what I remember of the WISA coaches, they certainly make decisions taking into consideration of a lot of factors, mostly business and some personal. Good luck guys! We will keep cheering you on!

Gart and Eliana? i hope she is smart enough not to even consider this.

composer

On the Ice
My only strong feelings here are not Caroline with Michael. Do we even know for sure that the Greens are splitting up?
As for Caroline with Michael the age difference will not only cause Caroline to lose out on years of junior eligibility, but possibly also years of senior skating down the road later on. I’d rather see them teaming up with non-USA skaters if it comes to that than with each other. But I’m neither coach, skater nor skating parent, so what do I know.

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I really hope the forgotten woman of US Icedance can find a partner, and it's not too late for her, as she is still training, and that's Elliana Pogrebinsky. 5ft 8 and all. :pray:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Does anyone know if either Alexander Vakhnov or AntonSpiridonov have found partners yet?

Spiridonov is listed on Ice Partner Search so probably not. (He ages up this year).

Vakhnov was never listed, and I have not read that he was ever listed on a Russian partner search list, but I don't speak Russian so I cannot check. My guess is that if he was still looking for a partner at this stage of the season, he would be listed; but that's just a guess. (I believe he has one more season of juniors if he skates for Russia. If he switched federations, he would have to sit out the JGP. He could probably compete internationally at late-season senior Bs and/or Junior Worlds though. Tough to make a Junior World team in a brand new partnership in a powerhouse dance country. Not impossible for him though.

Do we even know for sure that the Greens are splitting up?

We don't. But if it was an injury or a health issue that might be resolved within the year, then they would still be on the ISP. (And it's not like they need to suddenly switch countries or federation affiliations or as if their results aren't good enough for them to stay on the list).

(I actually think it's more likely that one of the Greens is getting out completely than that they elected to split, but that's just gut instinct.)

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I think she's a bit tall for him, especially since she may not be done growing. She's list as just 2 cm less than Rachel (and a lot of people thought the height difference for them was too small), and if Caroline were to grow more then it could be a big problem. And the age difference is 8 years. That's very significant, especially since she's 15. Also, it really doesn't matter that both had experience skating with siblings before, since the new partnership would not be a sibling team.

Eliana Gropman would make more sense, since she's older and shorter than Caroline, if it's going to be someone from WISA. But I'm excited to see who he ends up pairing up with. If it is Caroline, I'll just hope she doesn't grow at all.

:agree:

Spot on. Just because they're training at the same facilities doesn't necessarily mean they'd have the right kind of chemistry. Chemistry is just so unpredictable.

But I bet Mr Parsons is probably feeling quite popular at the moment, given the lack of quality male skaters in ID.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why would Caroline Green team up with Michael Parsons? She's not even old enough to skate Senior internationally so why team up with someone who aged out years ago in Juniors which means they have to basically sit out a year competing at least internationally. Plus he's really short and she will probably outgrow him in another year or two if she hasn't already. Do we even know if the Greens have split up? If so it's to bad they had great potential and it doesn't make sense it seems like sibling teams usually stick together and they are just at the start of their skating career.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Agree that we do not know whether the Greens have split.

(In any case, a fact-check is that Caroline is 15 years old, so she already would be age-eligible for senior internationals in the 2019-20 season.)

Per Eliana Gropman's new Instagram post yesterday, she will be attending University of Michigan for the next four years. Congratulations to her. :bow:

Non-judgmental comment:
It strikes me that her application to U Mich (as well as applications to any other schools on her wish list) would have been submitted months ago. Giving me a slightly different perspective on the end of the Gropman/Somerville partnership. Now it is more "thinkable" to me that perhaps(?????) both partners already had been giving thought (reasonably so) as to how/whether the partnership would/could/should continue indefinitely at WISA.​

Still hoping that Howard Zhao will find a suitable partner. :pray:

bennorii

On the Ice
I find it really weird that there has already been any discussion about Caroline pairing up with other guys when we don't even know if the Greens are/aren't still a pair...

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
I find it really weird that there has already been any discussion about Caroline pairing up with other guys when we don't even know if the Greens are/aren't still a pair...

It's a bit like real life, isn't it? People love to speculate...:biggrin: