The 'Thank You' Canada Tour | Page 3 | Golden Skate

The 'Thank You' Canada Tour

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Kaetlyn is a seeded skater who has in effect declined to be assigned to the GP and instead has decided to do a tour that coincides with the GP dates. She should be OK if she is taking the year off. But if she was contemplating doing the tour, and then returning to compete at 2019 Worlds, the ISU could impose sanctions on both her and Skate Canada, according to the language in last season's GP announcement.
No, the language is:
If any Seeded Skater/Couple elects in advance of the Grand Prix Period not to participate in their assigned events (for whatever reason), they will not be permitted to participate in any other competitions, shows, and exhibitions during the Grand Prix Period.
She hasn't been assigned to any events, so this does not affect her.

Beyond which, Kaetlyn and her coach know how the system works. There's no reason to think they haven't dealt with this.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No seeded skater has ever pre-empted the Grand Prix in this fashion and done a show or tour during the GP season instead, then done Worlds that same season. NO ONE has ever "dealt with this".

Can you imagine what would happen if ALL the World medalists decided not to be assigned to the GP and did shows or tours instead? Certainly top Russian and Japanese skaters could get lucrative work at home instead of the measly ISU pay for GP appearances. They could all opt ahead of time not to do the GP, and not be assigned, just like Kaetlyn. This is exactly what could be of concern to the ISU, so there may be a change of wording coming in the next GP announcement.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
No seeded skater has ever pre-empted the Grand Prix in this fashion and done a show or tour during the GP season instead, then done Worlds that same season. NO ONE has ever "dealt with this".
The ISU is an organization that exists, you know. There are channels to deal with them. There's no reason to think that Kaetlyn and Skate Canada don't know what they're doing.

seabm7

Final Flight
Correct me if I’m wrong but I thought that ISU rule was written for people who were assigned a Grand Prix then withdrew and skating in shows (didn’t Plushenko do that once...with draw for injury and then skate in a show a week later?). It’s not meant for skaters who are taking the year off.

Plushenko withdrew from the 2010 Worlds, citing he could not do quad jumps due to an injury.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I believe Kaetlyn will NOT return to skate in Worlds 2019 and that's why there will not be a problem with the ISU. If she comes back in the 2019-2020 season and does the GP it will be as a "returning skater" and she will not be seeded.

Tanager

On the Ice
Giving this thread a bumpity bump! because the Thank You Tour is now less than three months away and also because I have opening night tickets :dance:

But mostly because Tessa, Scott, Kaetlyn and Elvis did a press blitz yesterday in Toronto in support of the Tour:

A really nice interview with Tessa and Scott on TSN

A very cute Breakfast Television interview with Kaetlyn and Elvis

And a nice Canadian Press article (with an accompanying CTV interview of Tessa and Scott)

I'm looking forward to Tessa and Scott's vision for this tour and hoping it's a great Canuck success story! :luv17:

Sorrento

Record Breaker
I wonder is these kind of figure skating shows is a usual and popular thing in Canada. This time it is sort of saying Good bye to the golden era of huge talents leaving the competitive sport.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I wonder is these kind of figure skating shows is a usual and popular thing in Canada. This time it is sort of saying Good bye to the golden era of huge talents leaving the competitive sport.

it will be popular and sold out pretty much everywhere. But yes, it's a celebration of a golden cycle for Canada... These athletes are all world champions !!!!! Weapo aren't but we can almost say they are since they lost by a couple hundredths of a point in 2014... and outside the rink : Patrick has always been loved by Canadians for being open and genuine about his performances, Tessa and Scott are the media darlings, Meagan and Eric, with their respective interest (veganism, animal protection, gay rights, more specifically being gay and an athlete) are extremely popular with their open minded personalities...

So yeah... make a tour with all world champions and on top of that, a lady world champion which hasn't happen in 45 years in Canada... well.. of course it is popular... also, those smaller town have smaller venues and will be sold out.

Would it work out the same every year? I don't know.

jillredhand

Record Breaker
I'm writhing with indecision, guys. Has anyone here been to the show? Is it worth going to above/instead of something like Stars on Ice in the spring? I'd have to do some car repairs in order to make it to the Lethbridge or Red Deer shows this week, and I'm torn between going for it or else saving my money for the Grand Prix Final like a sensible adult. I don't want to watch the videos, in case I do end up going.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm writhing with indecision, guys. Has anyone here been to the show? Is it worth going to above/instead of something like Stars on Ice in the spring? I'd have to do some car repairs in order to make it to the Lethbridge or Red Deer shows this week, and I'm torn between going for it or else saving my money for the Grand Prix Final like a sensible adult. I don't want to watch the videos, in case I do end up going.

Yes, I saw it and liked it very much. I didn't see Stars on Ice because it wasn't anywhere near me, and TTYCT was; that was purely my reason for choosing one over the other. There was something special in seeing all of the OGM medal team (except Gabby) fresh off their victory. I thing this year's Canadian SOI had that as well, but don't know if it will be as special next year.

It wasn't comparable in any way to the Grand Prix Final, in terms of time, commitment, or cost. Everything (except ticket price) is 10 X more for the GPF.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

I'd see TTYCT over SOI if it were me. ;)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

Can you imagine what would happen if ALL the World medalists decided not to be assigned to the GP and did shows or tours instead? Certainly top Russian and Japanese skaters could get lucrative work at home instead of the measly ISU pay for GP appearances. They could all opt ahead of time not to do the GP, and not be assigned, just like Kaetlyn. This is exactly what could be of concern to the ISU, so there may be a change of wording coming in the next GP announcement.

Aren't Weaver and Poje planning to try for world's this year 2019?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
it will be popular and sold out pretty much everywhere. But yes, it's a celebration of a golden cycle for Canada... These athletes are all world champions !!!!! Weapo aren't but we can almost say they are since they lost by a couple hundredths of a point in 2014... and outside the rink : Patrick has always been loved by Canadians for being open and genuine about his performances, Tessa and Scott are the media darlings, Meagan and Eric, with their respective interest (veganism, animal protection, gay rights, more specifically being gay and an athlete) are extremely popular with their open minded personalities...

So yeah... make a tour with all world champions and on top of that, a lady world champion which hasn't happen in 45 years in Canada... well.. of course it is popular... also, those smaller town have smaller venues and will be sold out.

Would it work out the same every year? I don't know.

Too bad Joannie no longer skates:( I would love to see her. But she is focussing on med school.