The 'Thank You' Canada Tour | Page 4 | Golden Skate

The 'Thank You' Canada Tour

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I believe Kaetlyn will NOT return to skate in Worlds 2019 and that's why there will not be a problem with the ISU. If she comes back in the 2019-2020 season and does the GP it will be as a "returning skater" and she will not be seeded.

What about Weapo aren't they intending to return for nationals, 4CCs and worlds. Which brings to a question. Are Andrew and Kaitlyn skating their competitive programs (RD and FD) to get ready for Nats during the tour or do they have other programs?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Does anyone know if skaters like Liz Manley, Sale and Pelletier, Brian Orser, Joannie Rochette (pretty sure she doesn't skate), Tracey Wainman, Dubreil and Lauzon, Underhill and Martini, Kurt Browning, Josee Chouinard, Dube and Davison, Jeff Buttle, Eman Sandhu are still skating? I would love to see them on tour.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Does anyone know if skaters like Liz Manley, Sale and Pelletier, Brian Orser, Joannie Rochette (pretty sure she doesn't skate), Tracey Wainman, Dubreil and Lauzon, Underhill and Martini, Kurt Browning, Josee Chouinard, Dube and Davison, Jeff Buttle, Eman Sandhu are still skating? I would love to see them on tour.

i can tell you about a few...

Joannie Rochette will skate in Quebec city in the TTYCT
Kurt Browning surely still skates...
I saw Jeff Buttle just a few months ago in SOI he of course still skates
Eman Sandhu did some stuff in Russia just a couple seasons ago...

in other words, i am pretty sure most of these people still skates...and will forever skate... the fact that it doesn't happen in the public eye is another question.

believed

On the Ice
What about Weapo aren't they intending to return for nationals, 4CCs and worlds. Which brings to a question. Are Andrew and Kaitlyn skating their competitive programs (RD and FD) to get ready for Nats during the tour or do they have other programs?

When I saw them, they did their FD and at other shows they’ve done their RD.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Thanks Believed. I like this couple; they even wrote to me. So nice. And I always feel for the "underdog" so close to the world title let alone olympics in 2010 and other world medals. I hope they get an olympic medal at some point. I know they may retire in 2020 in Montreal some say but I feel for this team. The deserve an oly medal of some sort. I bet V and M are cheering for them especially.

Rossig

On the Ice
Thanks Believed. I like this couple; they even wrote to me. So nice. And I always feel for the "underdog" so close to the world title let alone olympics in 2010 and other world medals. I hope they get an olympic medal at some point. I know they may retire in 2020 in Montreal some say but I feel for this team. The deserve an oly medal of some sort. I bet V and M are cheering for them especially.

I wonder if VM ever felt at least a bit guilty that because of them Weapo have never had chance to compete in the team event. I thought that they might be given chance in the FD in South Korea, but unfortunately they weren't.

margiemo

Rinkside
VM doing both segments helped them get the gold medal in their event to follow.It was a good run through for them.The team really wanted to win gold for Patrick Chan.

withwings

On the Ice
I wonder if VM ever felt at least a bit guilty that because of them Weapo have never had chance to compete in the team event. I thought that they might be given chance in the FD in South Korea, but unfortunately they weren't.

Why they have to feel guilty??Then, for example, Hanyu, too, had to have guilty to win over Fernadez, when GrandPrix was in Spain or etc. It is a competition, dear, a competition. I am more than sure, that Wepo would be in disagreement with what you say, and much more than anyone else.

Ziotic

Medalist

VM were really clear that they wanted to put their FD changes out there in the team event after the changes from GPF. WP only option was the short dance and at the time to make the decision Canada didn’t know they wouldn’t end up needing any points from that segment to secure the gold.

It was all strategy to secure the OGM.

Rossig

On the Ice
Why they have to feel guilty??Then, for example, Hanyu, too, had to have guilty to win over Fernadez, when GrandPrix was in Spain or etc. It is a competition, dear, a competition. I am more than sure, that Wepo would be in disagreement with what you say, and much more than anyone else.

Gulity is maybe not the right word I used. But your example is completely different and doesn't resemble situtaion that happened in the team event. And btw I'm sure that Weapo would be thrilled to represent their country in the team event and would be incredibly happy if they were given this chance.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
VM doing both segments helped them get the gold medal in their event to follow.It was a good run through for them.The team really wanted to win gold for Patrick Chan.

I am not sure if a competitor at this level would ever admit feeling sorry for another team or guilty or whatever but deep down if they thought about it I am sure they would.. It is a competition. I can't remember the scores but had the format allowed Canada to calculate their situation and as their are only 5 competitors by the time of the free dance they may have had a large enough lead that even if weapo didn't win the freedance they would have had enough points to win they could have skated. But it would require the ice dance being skated at the end and a big enough of lead. The challenge is while Weapo are real good they good be as high as say even first but as low as I believe fifth or fourth (I cant remember but the Shibsibs probably would beat them and possibly the Russians B/S; But then again the stars would have to align ie ice dance being the last competiition. They really couldn't have expected much more from Chan. He actually did better than expected. But I still hope they win a medal. Maybe I should make them something and send it to them as their medal? The rules made it hard not to go with V and m. This was not the situation with the American gymnasts and I believe Kerri Strug? or something like that. That was pure American fantastical thinking that the injured waif needed to risk her health for olympic gold - they had already won with or without that vault and they should have known by that point the vault was not required. But oh the drama the Americans created. (And I am not so sure risking one's health or future is something we should be uplifting and encouraging (including Hanyu's skate a couple of seasons ago with head injuries. Yes it worked for him but not everyone has Hanyu's lucky horseshoe on their side). There is tv show some about being part of the failed army for people doing stupid stuff. I unfortunatley only get one channel and right now that is gone too :( I leave the tv on for background noise and these people do stupid stunts or things and people are laughing ie falling off tables, skateboarding on a arm rails and falling so your crotch lands on the rail, lots of crotch injuries actually and people falling off moving apparatuses or being dragged by out of control vehicles. Obviously they pick the one's were people don't die or get injured. But I think encouraging such boorish and silly behaviour might lead to tragedy. Amazing yes when you don't see the blood or parapalegic. There is still time for Weapo to get a team medal at the olympics but right now with China gunning for the podium in team in 2022, Japan looking more competitive and Canada really weaker in all disciplines right now it isn't so good. Ladies without Daleman and Osmond could be back to the Susan Humphries days of not qualifying. Think about it. Canada's top lady skating is a skater who didn't qualify for worlds or olympic free skates. But Messing is a nice surprise. And somehow because pairs skating is weak MTM and M aren't being killed (he needs to get more buff/strong lol). Of course "tragedy" could await Weapo still. Gilles and porier always had the potential to be the next Duchesnay ice dance team. I guess V and m and competitive skaters live by "no regrets" theme.

Rossig

On the Ice
I can't remember the scores but had the format allowed Canada to calculate their situation and as their are only 5 competitors by the time of the free dance they may have had a large enough lead that even if weapo didn't win the freedance they would have had enough points to win they could have skated.

Correct me if I'm wrong. But as far as I remember it was exactly the case. The FD was the last discipline and Canada were clear leaders.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Correct me if I'm wrong. But as far as I remember it was exactly the case. The FD was the last discipline and Canada were clear leaders.

But … Canada was required to commit to its team FD entry before the team results for Men's FS and Ladies FS were known -- per the rules for the OWG team event. Same for all countries:

During the Team Leaders Meeting at 15:30 h on the day of the Pair Skating Free Skating, the Team Leaders must declare the skater in Men Single Skating, the skater in Ladies Single Skating and the Ice Dance couples, who have been selected to skate the Free Skating/Free Dance segment.

Olympic Athletes from Russia could have won the team gold in the following hypothetical scenario, for example.

(1) Kolyada beat Chan in the team FS (as Kolyada later did in the individual Men's FS)

(2) And then Kostner and Sakamoto beat Daleman in the team FS (as the two ladies later did in the individual Ladies FS)

(3) And then Shibs and Bobrova/Soloviev beat Weaver/Poje in the team FD (as the two couples later did in the individual FD)

[ETA: I think OAR and Canada would have been tied with 68 team points each, and the second tie-breaker (based on scores) would have come into play.]​

If (1) and (2) actually had happened, then Virtue/Moir's win in the team FD would have saved the team gold for Canada.

ETA (on Nov 10):

The risk for Canada without V/M in the team FD would have been worse than I originally posted.

If placements in the individual free skates and FD had been the same for the team event, then Canada would have lost the team gold outright without V/M in the team FD.

The Shibs and Bobrova/Soloviev AND Cappellini/Lanotte beat Weaver/Poje in the individual FD.

If the same had happened in the team FD, then OAR (68 points) would have won the team gold outright over Canada (67 points) -- if (1) and (2) also had happened.​

jillredhand

Record Breaker
But … Canada was required to commit to its team FD entry before the team results for Men's FS and Ladies FS were known

If (1) and (2) actually had happened, then Virtue/Moir's win in the team FD would have saved the team gold for Canada.

Precisely. In retrospect, it seems like Canada had such a lead that we could comfortably have spread the team gold around to W/P as well, but that's only because Kolyada bombed so hard. At the time that we had to name our free skaters, it was possible enough that OAR could have overtaken us for gold that the fed didn't want to take the risk on W/P. Plus, as others have pointed out, I'm convinced that it was vital for V/M to get their revamped FD in front of the judges before the individual FD; I think they'd still have scored high, but I doubt they'd have won the gold if the judges were seeing it for the first time.

Giselle

Medalist

Don't think Dube & Davison have ever skated together after their split which is a shame.

Bryce is coaching at the Hamilton Skating Club.

Jessica skated in "battle of the blades" and then went on to skate on cruise ships. Here's an article from earlier this year where she talks about her life post retirement. She does mention wanting to stop skating on cruise ships to move in with her boyfriend and start a family and maybe coach.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

Brian Orser skated with Stars on Ice for many years. He retired quite a few years ago (more than 10 but less than 15). His retirement was announced before his last year, and I went to see one of the stops on his "farewell tour". I believe a lot of other people did as well!

believed

On the Ice

Joannie is actually a special guest tonight :)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Joannie is actually a special guest tonight :)

I hope Joannie can still skate; med school isn't easy

- - - Updated - - -

Brian Orser skated with Stars on Ice for many years. He retired quite a few years ago (more than 10 but less than 15). His retirement was announced before his last year, and I went to see one of the stops on his "farewell tour". I believe a lot of other people did as well!
Oh is that when he returned to the Story of My Life - so sad :(