The 'Thank You' Canada Tour | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The 'Thank You' Canada Tour

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm happy to report that I'm going to both the GPF in Vancouver (travel involved, tickets bought months ago), and the Thank You Canada Tour (semi-local, about 70 km from home, tickets bought today). In the past year I also went to Cirque du Soleil Crystal (local) and Canadian Nationals in Vancouver.

The only either/or for me was that I didn't travel to see Stars On Ice; by the time I thought of going, it was sold out in all cities that are a short plane ride from my home. Am I glad that I didn't go to great difficulty and expense to get to Stars on Ice, in light of the new show? You betcha.

Cirque Crystal did 8 shows in our city of 34,000 and they were well attended. The arena seats 5,000 for hockey, but I would say there were about 3,000 seats for the Cirque configuration. If they filled 2,000 seats per show, that was almost half the population!

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
you know, i don't recall these "audience stealing" concerns being raised about "king's on ice" and plushenko's other tours.

And while i don't recall a current world champion participating, there certainly were competitive senior elite skaters who did off and on.

Rather i recall folks cheering them on for building the base...and expressing envy towards those fortunate enough to get there.

But i also recognize that isu gp events are quickly sold out in both russia and canada...

perhaps some of the posters are looking at this from the experience of undersold isu events in the us.

Oh Snap!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i don''t understand all the rain on this tour.... seriously... simple facts and common sense.

These events are completely different and attract different kinds of people. I don't even see how they are competing with one another.

Skate Canada International is an event happening on a few days, a competition ... with international skaters and your allotted Canadians....

It attracts fans of the sports, most of them follow skaters yearly not only at the Olympics. It is a time commitment, with events happening during the work week. It does require a sacrifice of both time and money.

It also attracts people from different cities, provinces and countries, while the tour will mostly attract locals... people who didn't get a chance to go to SOI.

Tickets were put on sale at a rather expensive price several months ago. I bought mine as a Xmas present to myself... so it must have been around December or January.

The tour tickets are on sale now, for cheap, in smaller communities not visited by SOI.

Btw... I never go to ice shows... I LOVE COMPETITIONS. So, in my case, if the tour were coming in Montreal, I would still choose SCI or even ACI.
(I did go to SOI this year however, as it was at a time when there were no competitions and I wanted to see my faves one last time). It was cheap, a couple hour commitment and walking distance from my place.... So... this is a totally different commitment than going to a multi day competition.

As far as the Fed is concerned... who knows what the deal is with skaters and what not....

Also, as mentioned by many others : if the market allows for it, why not? There is room for more than one skating event per year in Canada....

The thank you tour came up after the reception SOI got. It is obvious that Canadian stars, with their Olympics success have create interest. It would be 100% stupid not to capitalize on it. Patrick, D/R and V/M were already not going to be part of SCI.... only Kaetlyn will miss, which will allow for Gabby to be seeded.... Gabby actually could be a great draw in Montreal as her number at SOI on Houston's song was one of the highlights of the show. She left the ice crying like a baby with the reception her number was given.... it is in Montreal that people started to wave their phone flashlights. She skated like I had never seen her skate : with a full commitment to emotion and music.

As i said elsewhere : I love Kaetlyn, but I am not feeling shortchanged at all that she will be on tour. I will get Gabby :) and one skater I have never seen (hoping for wakaba!!!!!!)

I had to really force myself to write this post because it is so obvious that these events have their own respective crowds and will both succeed.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
i don''t understand all the rain on this tour.... seriously... simple facts and common sense.

These events are completely different and attract different kinds of people. I don't even see how they are competing with one another.

Skate Canada International is an event happening on a few days, a competition ... with international skaters and your allotted Canadians....

It attracts fans of the sports, most of them follow skaters yearly not only at the Olympics. It is a time commitment, with events happening during the work week. It does require a sacrifice of both time and money.

It also attracts people from different cities, provinces and countries, while the tour will mostly attract locals... people who didn't get a chance to go to SOI.

Tickets were put on sale at a rather expensive price several months ago. I bought mine as a Xmas present to myself... so it must have been around December or January.

The tour tickets are on sale now, for cheap, in smaller communities not visited by SOI.

Btw... I never go to ice shows... I LOVE COMPETITIONS. So, in my case, if the tour were coming in Montreal, I would still choose SCI or even ACI.
(I did go to SOI this year however, as it was at a time when there were no competitions and I wanted to see my faves one last time). It was cheap, a couple hour commitment and walking distance from my place.... So... this is a totally different commitment than going to a multi day competition.

As far as the Fed is concerned... who knows what the deal is with skaters and what not....

Also, as mentioned by many others : if the market allows for it, why not? There is room for more than one skating event per year in Canada....

The thank you tour came up after the reception SOI got. It is obvious that Canadian stars, with their Olympics success have create interest. It would be 100% stupid not to capitalize on it. Patrick, D/R and V/M were already not going to be part of SCI.... only Kaetlyn will miss, which will allow for Gabby to be seeded.... Gabby actually could be a great draw in Montreal as her number at SOI on Houston's song was one of the highlights of the show. She left the ice crying like a baby with the reception her number was given.... it is in Montreal that people started to wave their phone flashlights. She skated like I had never seen her skate : with a full commitment to emotion and music.

As i said elsewhere : I love Kaetlyn, but I am not feeling shortchanged at all that she will be on tour. I will get Gabby :) and one skater I have never seen (hoping for wakaba!!!!!!)

I had to really force myself to write this post because it is so obvious that these events have their own respective crowds and will both succeed.

:clap:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
No one in this thread has been raining on the tour.

To believe otherwise is making a false assumption.

Repeating what I said above: someone giving an opinion that the ISU viewpoint is understandable should not be misconstrued as the person expressing lack of support for the tour.

… These events are completely different and attract different kinds of people.

… it is so obvious that these events have their own respective crowds …

I absolutely hope that both the GP events and the Thank You Canada tour succeed.

Colonel Green and NanaPat are examples of fans who are attracted both to the Thank You Canada tour and to GP events.

... speaking as somebody who is going to both SCI and the Summerside show ...

I'm happy to report that I'm going to both the GPF in Vancouver (travel involved, tickets bought months ago), and the Thank You Canada Tour (semi-local, about 70 km from home, tickets bought today). …

Happy for you that you are able to attend both events … and in NanaPat's case, were able to attend Cirque and Canadian Nats as well.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Has the ISU commented on this specific tour? What is exactly their view point?

If they haven't said anything officially, then the users alluding to a potential negative viewpoint are making assumptions. This is what I mean by rain.

YMMV

ice coverage

Record Breaker
My mentions of "ISU viewpoint" have been references to what is in the ISU announcement for the 2017-18 GP series (emphasis added below):

3.4 Obligation of Seeded Skaters

It is of the highest importance that Rule 136 paragraph 6 of the ISU Regulations and the relevant provisions of ISU Communication No. 1811 be respected and implemented by all ISU Members and Skaters. To assure compliance with Rule 136, paragraph 6, the following directive is issued by the ISU Council.

All Seeded Skaters/Couples as to paragraph 2.1 of this General Announcement are categorized as "Seeded" Skaters/Couples and, as such, will be expected to participate in two (2) ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating individual events during the 2017/18 season. The ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating events will take place from October 20, 2017 to November 26, 2017. ("the Grand Prix Period").

Seeded Skaters/Couples, as well as Come-Back Skaters/Couples who fulfill their ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating obligations may also skate in other competitions, shows and exhibitions as authorized by their ISU Member during the Grand Prix Period and, for Seeded Skaters/Couples who do not qualify for the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final, also in the period immediately following the last individual event (Skate America – November 24-26, 2017).

If any Seeded Skater/Couple elects in advance of the Grand Prix Period not to participate in their assigned events (for whatever reason), they will not be permitted to participate in any other competitions, shows, and exhibitions during the Grand Prix Period. In addition, depending on the circumstances, these Seeded Skater/Couple may be subject to sanctions in accordance with Rule 136, paragraph 6 of the General Regulations. Such sanction may be in the form of monetary penalties that would be deducted from ISU payments of Prize Money and/or future ISU contributions to the ISU Member of the concerned Skater.

https://isu.org/docman-documents-li...33-gp-general-announcement-2017-18-final/file

It has been my belief that chuckm's original reference to the "ISU viewpoint" was based on the GP announcement. And not on an ISU response specifically to the Thank You Canada tour.

Maybe because it is in direct competition with Grand Prix events? Audiences at the tour won't be watching the Grand Prix, which will be happening at the same time (October and November). So that is depleting the Grand Prix audience base, from the ISU viewpoint.

The ISU announcement for the 2018-19 GP series has not been published yet.
I do not know whether it will have changes or not.
(And I do not claim to know whether or not anything happened at the ISU Congress that would indicate that changes will be made for 2018-19.)

ETA (on Jun 9):

…. But I also recognize that ISU GP events are quickly sold out in both Russia and Canada...

… In my experience of having bought SCI tickets, they're already mostly sold, and that's before the participants are announced (if/when Hanyu or Uno are announced as attending, I'd expect Japanese fans to snap up any remaining tickets).

For the record: As of today, several hundred all-event tickets for 2018 Skate Canada International have not yet been sold, per the Ticketmaster website.
(My rough estimate via eyeballing is around 400 or 500 or so.)

Tickets went on sale in Nov 2017.
Prices for unsold tickets are $220.75, $177.75, $136.25 -- meaning that six months later, there is availability at all price points except the highest.​

ETA (on Jul 12):

LOL, realizing now that the ticket site for Skate Canada International actually gives official numbers for the quantity of unsold all-event tickets in each section -- visible when the cursor is "hovering" over each section.
(Silly me was unaware of the official numbers at the time of my post on Jun 9.)

As of today, the total number of unsold tickets is more than 963.
So at least for this year, I would say that it is not true that SCI "quickly sold out."

(Sections 105, 106, 108, and 112 each have "100+" tickets available.
Section 102: 94. Section 109: 81. Section 111: 67. Section 104: 64. Section 116: 61. Section 115: 51.
Section 110: 49. Section 101: 41. Section 114: 28. Section 103: 14. Section 107: 13.)​

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Yeah, that's the other thing. In my experience of having bought SCI tickets, they're already mostly sold, and that's before the participants are announced (if/when Hanyu or Uno are announced as attending, I'd expect Japanese fans to snap up any remaining tickets).

There are 2 chances out of 3 for a Japanese seeded lady.... Hanyu is often there, and probably especially could be there this year as Nathan will be at SKAM and well then we have Shoma <3 and Kolyada... Skate Canada has no front runner to protect in men, so we may get at least one of the two if not both Japanese stars. So again, this make it quite simple to me... international stars compete versus canadian gold team touring... completely different events... both wonderful.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The US doesn't have tours during the skating season. They do have the occasional made-for-TV SHOW, which for the most part features pro skaters and the occasional eligible guest. Those shows rely on sponsorship for financing, although most have live audiences in smaller venues. Such shows don't interfere with eligible skaters' ISU schedules, since they are a one-or-two day gig.

Skating competitions in the US rarely sell out because they are so expensive, and anyway, skating just isn't that popular in the US. Venues can schedule other events that do sell out so they charge more for ones that don't. USFS will always invite Japanese skaters to Skate America, because that ensures that many seats will be filled by Japanese audience members.

But when it comes to Nationals, nothing helps sell those seats. It's frustrating for those of us who go to Nationals year after year and have to shell out $1200 for all-event tickets in the first 3 rows.

TGee

Record Breaker
Well, Place Bell in Laval seats about 8000 with the max hockey seating arrangement.

SCI isn't going to use the nosebleed deck at the top, but much more will be used than in the 4999 rock concert configuration.

So, say 6 months out somewhere between 5 and 10% remain unsold (although my eyeball didn't see that many tickets just now)....and we don't even know the entries...

Does anyone think that anyone at ISU or Skate Canada is concerned?

I am sorry to hear that live skating events are so undersold in the US. It's bad for the sport as a whole. Maybe some new format shows are needed to replace the old "follies" format and build the base.

I'm excited that Tessa and Scott want to try something in Canada. And that Cirque du Soleil has a plan to include ice exhibitions.

So let's turn instead to ideas about what might work in North America ... accepting that Plushenko type shows might not be it....

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
and of course, let's not forget that shows and most events in Canada (SCI, ACI, Nationals) are affordable. THere is no way I would ever pay 1200 bucks for an all event pass... I am afraid about worlds... and we expect it to be in the 400-500 bucks... Maybe the USA planners need to come to terms that people don't have that much money to spend on skating anymore, with all the other fun sports one can attend...

I went to short track speed skating worlds a few months ago in Montreal.. 25 dollars... amazing seats....

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am considering going to Worlds in Canada in 2020. Maybe the tickets won't be as expensive as they were for Boston Worlds, but I have a feeling the hotel costs will more than make up the difference.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
I am considering going to Worlds in Canada in 2020. Maybe the tickets won't be as expensive as they were for Boston Worlds, but I have a feeling the hotel costs will more than make up the difference.

Well, nice to know that perspectives can change and grow. I applaud all who are able to keep an open mind.

By the way, 4everchan has a balcony. ;)

sillylionlove29

Rinkside
Correct me if I’m wrong but I thought that ISU rule was written for people who were assigned a Grand Prix then withdrew and skating in shows (didn’t Plushenko do that once...with draw for injury and then skate in a show a week later?). It’s not meant for skaters who are taking the year off.

emdee

Final Flight
and of course, let's not forget that shows and most events in Canada (SCI, ACI, Nationals) are affordable. THere is no way I would ever pay 1200 bucks for an all event pass... I am afraid about worlds... and we expect it to be in the 400-500 bucks... Maybe the USA planners need to come to terms that people don't have that much money to spend on skating anymore, with all the other fun sports one can attend...

I went to short track speed skating worlds a few months ago in Montreal.. 25 dollars... amazing seats....

I went to London worlds and the tickets were 1300$.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Correct me if I’m wrong but I thought that ISU rule was written for people who were assigned a Grand Prix then withdrew and skating in shows (didn’t Plushenko do that once...with draw for injury and then skate in a show a week later?). It’s not meant for skaters who are taking the year off.

The rule has been in effect if "any Seeded Skater/Couple elects in advance of the Grand Prix Period not to participate in their assigned events (for whatever reason)" -- according to the ISU language in the GP series announcement for 2017-18.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kaetlyn is a seeded skater who has in effect declined to be assigned to the GP and instead has decided to do a tour that coincides with the GP dates. She should be OK if she is taking the year off. But if she was contemplating doing the tour, and then returning to compete at 2019 Worlds, the ISU could impose sanctions on both her and Skate Canada, according to the language in last season's GP announcement.