Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ballet Music

Spectator

2 Not allowed!
    Flames of Paris -- so much potential for costumes too.
    Les Sylphides -- very lyrical
    La Sylphide (which is different! and has more of a story)
    Raymonda (Specifically the variations)

Honestly there's a lot of potential in Balanchine ballets (though also equally big copyright issues, if you tried to keep any of the choreography/stylizations):
    Jewels
    Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux
    Apollo
    Stars and Stripes

Spectator

1 Not allowed!
    Ooh as soon as I saw this thread I thought of Flames of Paris, though Adaa beat me to the puch.
    It’s one of my favorite ballets and it has several moments with a lot of potential, and I can’t think of anyone that’s skated to it.

4 Not allowed!
    I second "Le Jeune Homme et la Mort". It's amazing to me how it's not a warhorse.
    This ballet has everything; the perfection that is J.S. Bach's Passacaglia and Fugue in C minor, an adult concept, an avant-garde choreogreaphy by Roland Petit, iconic costumes and ice dance's favourite theme (i.e. love and death). I had even suggested it when Tesse asked her fans on Instagram what they should choose for their Olympic skate, but of course they chose Moulin Rouge.

My only hope/dream is that P&C skate to it one day (quite possibly in Beijing).

3 Not allowed!
    Just thought of a really fun "out there" choice-- a couple weeks ago I saw a Jerome Robbins ballet (Glass Pieces) with a portion set to music from Philip Glass's opera Akhnaten. Having trouble locating the music right now, but think really powerful drum beats and brass.

Tripping on the Podium

0 Not allowed!
    Are there any ballet pieces that are similar to, say, Turandot or Swan Lake or Scheherazade? I thought that that skaters and their teams could go, “Well, I like Swan Lake, but instead of using that old music that’s been done to death, I’ll choose something similar to Swan Lake. I can still portray the beautiful bird, but to different music, so that I’m being creative.”

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamente Ariane View Post
    Just thought of a really fun "out there" choice-- a couple weeks ago I saw a Jerome Robbins ballet (Glass Pieces) with a portion set to music from Philip Glass's opera Akhnaten. Having trouble locating the music right now, but think really powerful drum beats and brass.
    Cool!

Coincidentally I was just listening to R. Murray Schafer's "Snowforms" (piece for SA choir) and wondering if someone should skate to its lovely ethereal beauty for a show piece.

For something terrifying and grand, there are parts of his musical theatre piece Apocalypsis, such as John's Vision. I actually went to the performance three years ago and it was fantastic. 1,000 dancers, singers, actors, and instrumentalists came together awesomely. You get a taste of the the energy here: https://youtu.be/oBp6A9gbe8Q

On the Ice

1 Not allowed!
    I really don’t have any problem with swan lake if people actually use swan lake and follow the story. If you’re the white swan, be the white swan. Be innocent, be in love, be in torment over Rothbart’s manipulations and sigfrieds betrayal, but PLEASE do not be firey and sultry and skate to the black swan music. I honestly think swan lake works much better as a pair program because there’s so much emotion in the story and in the music.

I hate when people skate to nutcracker. That music is only acceptable during the months of the year in a very specific setting and does not need to be used outside of it. Save ballet dancers everywhere. Don’t skate to Nutcracker.

As for other ballets, Bayadere as a whole is lovely. There are so many options as well. You could be gamzatti or solor in the grand pas d’action in act 2 with all of the bombastic, proud music or you could be Nikya and do her death scene or something from shades which is more lyrical, mournful, and eerily elegant. Other than that, sleeping beauty actually has some good music, and Raymonda, Paquita and onegin all have good parts. So much of Balanchines choreography is set to much older classical pieces so you could use the music to some of his ballets without getting copywrited as long as you don’t take his choreography.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamente Ariane View Post
    That would be a stunner if done right...

The Australian classical music station is doing their annual top 100 countdown (popular vote) this long weekend, so I'm thinking there'll be some pieces that would be good for skaters... surprisingly, one one ballet so far (L'Apres-midi d'un Faune) but we'll see what turns up.

Rinkside

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluediamonds09 View Post
    Oooh, that sounds nice. Do you have a link to the music?

I just don’t understand why the skaters and their coaches insist on using the exact same music cuts from the exact same tired old music as others. Why??? Could anyone explain it to me?
    Here is Eliza's Aria from Wild Swans, which I'd love for somebody to skate to one day!

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightcrawler View Post
    I second "Le Jeune Homme et la Mort". It's amazing to me how it's not a warhorse.
    This ballet has everything; the perfection that is J.S. Bach's Passacaglia and Fugue in C minor, an adult concept, an avant-garde choreogreaphy by Roland Petit, iconic costumes and ice dance's favourite theme (i.e. love and death). I had even suggested it when Tesse asked her fans on Instagram what they should choose for their Olympic skate, but of course they chose Moulin Rouge.

My only hope/dream is that P&C skate to it one day (quite possibly in Beijing).
    I think it was me that suggested "Le Jeune Homme et la Mort". It is a dramatic piece very well suited for Ice dance.
    I thought of P/C when suggesting it but I think other teams could do very well with it, like Hurtado/Khaliavin, Popova/Mozgov, Ilinykh/Katsalapov (if they were still together obviously), maybe Hubbell/Donohue.

Quote Originally Posted by samm22 View Post
    I really don’t have any problem with swan lake if people actually use swan lake and follow the story. If you’re the white swan, be the white swan. Be innocent, be in love, be in torment over Rothbart’s manipulations and sigfrieds betrayal, but PLEASE do not be firey and sultry and skate to the black swan music. I honestly think swan lake works much better as a pair program because there’s so much emotion in the story and in the music.
    This. Also, Odile doesn't HAVE to be a crazy and mad woman. She spends quite a bit of time disguised as Odette, seducing Siegfried.

I was also thinking today that Act II of Giselle has been virtually unused. Myrtha, the Queen of the Wilis would be a terrific character to portray instead of innocent Giselle. She is mysterious, commanding, vengeful and powerful!

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluediamonds09 View Post
    Oooh, that sounds nice. Do you have a link to the music?
    My favorie youtube upload tends to be hard to get outside Australia, but I hope this one - the playlist for the suite from the ballet - will work for you
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...oaMzR-zna44coQ

It's a magical piece, the most famous bit being Eliza's Aria, but there are quite a few other themes that I think would make glorious, mysterious, magical programs for the right skater (and yes, me being me and Yuzuru being partial to swans, I thought of him but there are quite a few ladies who could 'be' Eliza beautifully)

Rinkside

1 Not allowed!
    I would really like to see someone (or a pair/dance team) skate to music from Shurale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzjimzedsaQ In particular, I really like this pas de deux
    Last edited by siena; 06-10-2018 at 12:18 AM. Reason: add link

0 Not allowed!
    I recently had the good fortune to see the documentary 'Suzanne Farrell: Elusive Muse' which traced her career and relationship with Balanchine. It contained a film clip of her Don Quixote solo which took my breath away.. it was total abandon, magical. She has the most beautiful arm, hand movements. I was reminded of young Alena Kostornaia's performance of her long program last season... I am not sure if this Don Quixote piece is suitable for skating. Have posted the clip below .. worth watching, I think, if one can get past the dated film but it is the only film that exists of that performance.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lcV8A0...vwtyAVIUNQM2ZI

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TerpsichoreFS View Post
    I'm sorry if I'm off topic because La Bayadère is a very famous ballet, but there are two music I wish people skated to :

Gamzatti's temple variation from the Act III of La Bayadère in the Makarova version! I'm at work so I can't link a youtube video but the music is short and very emotional and the original variation has awesome choreography.

I also posted one in Nathan's FF that I'd like to see him tackle the golden idol music, but anyone would do. it's probably better for an EX program though.

The music from the first act of the Spartacus ballet is great.

And the blue bird variation from Sleeping Beauty!

Balachine's jewels ballet also has nice music but it's more abstract, fit for a P/C style.
    Karen Magnussen skated to Spartacus. Fabulous program and skating.

Tripping on the Podium Abraxis12345's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Creation of the World by Andrei Petrov. Bechke and Petrov used one piece (Eve) but I don’t think anyone used this

https://youtu.be/ZrSUQ7cPi3U

Hero of Our Time by Demutsky (although the music has not been publicly releases afaik). The Princess Masha part

https://vk.com/videos-30259?z=video-...2Fpl_-30259_-2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2