Rules Made Because of Skaters | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Rules Made Because of Skaters

macy

Record Breaker
I feel like the spiral sequence should go back into the short and have different requirements that rotate through the years.

I think that would help it be very technical and force good edge work and nice positions.

i think they should bring it back but have an option if spirals are more of a weakness for a skater or they just don't want to do them--maybe another sort of choreo sequence? i would love skaters to still have the option to do spiral sequences because they can be SO beautiful and really be the highlight of a performance, but also have another option if they opt to not perform it.

Miller

Final Flight
In that case you could also have 4 minute men's programs and 4:30 ladies' programs, all with 7 jumping passes.

And why not? It would be up to the skater if they did more or less choreography and transitions. Only difference would be that there's a 30 second spread rather than the current 20, plus it would tend, you imagine, to favour lady skaters with more stamina, but at least current ones would only have to do a minimum of 4 minutes, which would be the case anyway for most routines.

Henni147

Final Flight
I think that's right, but I am sad about it even so. The long, glorious, dramatic spiral used to be the absolute highlight of many ladies' programs (along with an iconic layback spin). In my opinion the sport is diminished by downplaying this element. It's a down-right non-Cohenesque shame. :yes:
Yep, I miss spirals and classical layback spins, too. They are still performed by some skaters, but just too rare...

Seriously: the free skate is not a 'free' skate. There are so many restrictions...

I don't how long this rule has existed (since 2012?): You can only repeat two jumps with three or more revolutions in a free skate overall.
Someone has suggested to call this restriction the 'Kulik'-rule. After its recent upgrade you can also label it the 'Nathan'-rule... or 'Yuzu'-rule, since both skaters have committed the crime to repeat TWO quads omg :eeking::laugh2::
You can only repeat two jumps with three or more revolutions in a free skate overall. Only one quad can be repeated.

Crackpot question: Is it still allowed to repeat two quintuples? :rofl:

gkelly

Record Breaker
I don't how long this rule has existed (since 2012?): You can only repeat two jumps with three or more revolutions in a free skate overall.
Someone has suggested to call this restriction the 'Kulik'-rule.

Yes, it's been around a lot longer than 2012 -- since the era when Kulik was skating though I don't know that he was specifically responsible for it. He sometimes repeated three triples, or did three triple toes, but that had been illegal since the early days of the Zayak rule in the mid-1980s. The rewording in the mid/late-90s was to clarify that you couldn't repeat two triples and also repeat a quad. I can't remember exactly when the wording changed; the first skaters to repeat quads as I recall were Zhengxin Guo and probably Elvis Stojko, ca. 1997, which might have been after the rule changed.

Crackpot question: Is it still allowed to repeat two quintuples? :rofl:

As of now there is no value for any quintuples in the Scale of Value, so they'd be considered Unlisted Jumps and earn no points except maybe in Performance component if they got the judges excited (or maybe they'd be called as overrotated quads and earn -GOE). Not explicitly illegal, but not worth doing.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The short program was added specifically to help Janet Lynn and generally to help all good free skaters.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I'm not sure the change is attributed solely to Irina Slutskaya, but Bielmanning everything helped to get you the highest levels on spins and spirals when COP was established.

lyrichord

Rinkside
Falls getting a mandatory deduction in ice dance is the Platov rule. G&P won everything between 94 and 98 Olympics even though Evgeny fell in a few competitions.