Rules Made Because of Skaters | Golden Skate

Rules Made Because of Skaters

PyeongChang2018

On the Ice
I saw someone just mentioned a "Mao Asada rule": how the ISU allowed 3A in the SP after Vancouver.

We also know of the Zayak rule, the Zagitova rule, and you could argue the "Chen rule" to limit quads.

What other rules were passed throughout the years, specifically to limit or help certain skaters?

tars

Record Breaker
"Zagitova Rule" from latest ISU congress destroying backloading.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I saw someone just mentioned a "Mao Asada rule": how the ISU allowed 3A in the SP after Vancouver.

We also know of the Zayak rule, the Zagitova rule, and you could argue the "Chen rule" to limit quads.

What other rules were passed throughout the years, specifically to limit or help certain skaters?

Mao did a 3A in SP for the first time at 2009 WTT. So i assume that it was allowed that season. And she landed it at Vancouver of course.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Wasn't the rule about not being able to kneel on both knees on the ice/lie flat on the ice made in response to a rash of skaters copycatting Torville and Dean's Bolero?

gkelly

Record Breaker
Mao did a 3A in SP for the first time at 2009 WTT. So i assume that it was allowed that season. And she landed it at Vancouver of course.

SOLO 3A in place of the required 2A.

Tonya Harding did 3A combination in the short program at 1991 Skate America. It was always legal in the combination when the combination allowed at least one triple.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Wasn't the rule about not being able to kneel on both knees on the ice/lie flat on the ice made in response to a rash of skaters copycatting Torville and Dean's Bolero?

Yes! And to stop programs that ended with the skater "dying" on the ice at the end - which was probably for the best because everybody was doing it!

Torville and Dean only did the kneeling thing to take advantage of a loophole in the rules where the program didn't actually count as having started until the man put his skates on the ice. They felt that they couldn't cut Bolero down any more, so that way they could have the extra thirty seconds in and not get a time deduction.

I for one would like to know when the no-tights for men came in...who was responsible for that one I wonder!

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
There was also that rule which went against Yuna Kim by limiting the number of 2A repetitions from 3 to 2.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
There was also that rule which went against Yuna Kim by limiting the number of 2A repetitions from 3 to 2.

I don't think it was especially against her since Mao was also doing three 2As. And some other skaters who had also 5 or 6 triples.

narcissa

Record Breaker
Reducing the number of times you could repeat a spin position because of Shizuka Arakawa and her donut spins at 2006 Olympics?

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Going way back, arguably the first big reduction of the value of compulsory figures was in response to Trixi Schuba.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Going way back, arguably the first big reduction of the value of compulsory figures was in response to Trixi Schuba.

I prefer to think of it in a more positive light: the move toward reduction of the weight accorded to figures resulted from the brilliance of Toller (and Janet Lynn) not being adequately recognized. ;)

I also find it funny that posters on Boards are calling some of the new rules "Zagitova" rules. I've never heard that, except on gossip sites, and I can't imagine that ten years from now we will talk about someone "Zagitova-ing" the way we now refer to Zayaking:laugh:

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I also find it funny that posters on Boards are calling some of the new rules "Zagitova" rules. I've never heard that, except on gossip sites, and I can't imagine that ten years from now we will talk about someone "Zagitova-ing" the way we now refer to Zayaking:laugh:
It's definitely not something that will be talked about in the manner of the Zayak rule because it's not really a standalone rule that will be actively enforced going forward, it's just a rejiggering of the bonus system. It's not possible to be actively affected by this rule, whereas with the Zayak rule you can lose major points if you break it.

In 2005, just before the 2006 Olympics, there was a rule change in pairs that you couldn't do the same type of jump in two different side-by-side jumping passes.

This hurt Shen and Zhao who did 3T and 2A+3T. It helped Totmianina and Marinen, who did 3S and 3T+2T. Shen and Zhao faced the burden of experimenting with a new layout just before the expected Olympic showdown.

in the end, Zhao was injured for most of the Olympic season and was not able to perform his best anyway. He tore an Achilles tendon in August practicing a triple-triple combination.

At that same event Dan Zhang of Zhang and Zhang had a terrible fall on a throw quad Salchow. She lay on the ice for several minutes while the referee stopped the music and waited to see if she could recover. She did, and finished the program, winning the silver medal. This led to rule changes the next year about continuing programs after stopping for injury.

Last edited:
The Sonja Henie rule. No country can have more than one judge on the panel at the World Championships.

In 1927, fourteen-year-old Henie won the world champiuonship in Oslo. (The men's championship was held in Davos, Switzerland). Henie received first place ordinals from all three Norwegian judges. She beat defending 5-time world champion Herma Szabo, who picked up the votes of the other two judges on the panel (Germany and Austria).

The pairs world championship that year was held in Vienna. Szabo won with fellow Austrian Ludvig Wrede. :)

lesnar001

Record Breaker
The Sonja Henie rule. No country can have more than one judge on the panel at the World Championships.

In 1927, fourteen-year-old Henie won the world champiuonship in Oslo. (The men's championship was held in Davos, Switzerland). Henie received first place ordinals from all three Norwegian judges. She beat defending 5-time world champion Herma Szabo, who picked up the votes of the other two judges on the panel (Germany and Austria).

The pairs world championship that year was held in Vienna. Szabo won with fellow Austrian Ludvig Wrede. :)

Even back then there were judging controversies! :palmf:

Almost 100 years later, and with many changes to both the sport itself and the scoring system....

but the basic problem is still there.

rain

Record Breaker
Meghan Duhamel has spoken about how after she and Eric Radford won their first world title the ISU reduced the value of the lutz and flip jumps for side-by-sides, but not any of the other jump values, thus making doing the harder lutzes they were famous for worth very little more than a team doing triple toes or salchows. Clearly they were the target of this rule change.

cohen-esque

Final Flight
^Well, Meghan Duhamel is either mistaken or lying in this instance, as the ISU did no such thing. SBS jumps don’t even have their own values; they’re the same as in singles.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
^Well, Meghan Duhamel is either mistaken or lying in this instance, as the ISU did no such thing. SBS jumps don’t even have their own values; they’re the same as in singles.

you are mistaken here

flip BV was lowered while the 3T BV was raised during the time they were skating....

so even if it's a small 0.1 value, she is right.... the ISU did not encourage them to land very hard sbs 3lz... in fact, they raised the value of the simplest and most common jump, the 3t..... do i need to elaborate?