Rescoring past competitions w/ new SOV+rules | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Rescoring past competitions w/ new SOV+rules

charlotte14

Medalist
Well, that actually benefited him because if his 3S had been scored as a separate jumping pass, and thus his 8th one, then his 2nd 3Z (which is worth about 2 points more than a 3S) wouldn't have counted at all.

But it was weird that it wasn't counted, as if he never even executed it, when he clearly did.
Yeah now that I look back I never get why they did not count that 3Sal, it was in the 3-1-3 combo...

gkelly

Record Breaker
I can only guess that the tech panel thought he put his foot down or otherwise broke the rhythm of the combination.

gkelly

Record Breaker
So why didn't they count it as solo, and invalidate the 3Lz, then?

According to the current technical panel handbook:

Jump sequence without a clear rhythm: the call will be jumps executed before the loss of rhythm + Sequence + jumps after the loss of rhythm with an *.
and
If in a jump combination or sequence a skater falls or steps out of a jump and immediately executes another jump(s), the jump(s) after the mistake are not counted, and the call will be the executed jump(s) before the mistake + combo/sequence + the executed jump(s). The jumps after the mistake are marked with an *.

By doing this all the executed jumps will be visible on the computer screen and it will be easy to follow the requirements of the repetition rule.

The Judges GOE refer to the entire element performed.

Neither of which exactly addresses a three-jump combination that is interrupted after the second jump. But it seems that the intention for penalizing a combo or sequence in which the element reaches a stopping point before the last jump, which then doesn't count, is to consider it part of an incomplete combo/sequence, not as an additional jump element.

I'm not sure if the wording was any different in 2014.

narcissa

Record Breaker
I can only guess that the tech panel thought he put his foot down or otherwise broke the rhythm of the combination.

He didn't put his foot down, but there was a bit of delay going into the 3S. I thought it was strange because worse combinations have been called acceptable, but I guess they wanted to make it easier for Chan to win at that point.

cohen-esque

Final Flight
He didn't put his foot down, but there was a bit of delay going into the 3S. I thought it was strange because worse combinations have been called acceptable, but I guess they wanted to make it easier for Chan to win at that point.

:confused: He clearly put his free foot down and shifted some weight onto it, as well, before the Salchow takeoff.

I believe in the old marking they always just omitted everything after the +SEQ, whereas today they mark it.

Marius

Art on Ice
Final Flight
Yes, he shifted the weight on the free foot before the 3 Salchow, and because of that, that last jump couldn't count as part of a combination as Yuzuru intended to do. Because of the weight change, that 3S was out of the combination, whereas the 3Lz-1Lo were in combination; 3S should have been called as a sequence with the 3Lz and the 1Lo, but you can't do a 3 jumps sequence (you can do a 3 jumps combination bun only a 2 jumps sequence). So they had to call the 3Lz-1lo, because it was executed as a single element, but they had to call it as a sequence because he executed the 3S after those 2 jumps after the weight shifting.
If you pause the video at the exact frame in which Yuzuru executes the 1Lo, you can clearly see how he lost his balance a little bit and then his free foot was touching the ice before the take off of the Salchow: https://youtu.be/hUskvEAITdE?t=246

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Comparing to GPF 2013, where it did get ratified: https://youtu.be/hx_ui1MJbmA?t=4m3s

Looks like in Sochi he leans more onto his right foot, so the shift in weight probably lost him the combo.

I guess it's good I'm not part of a technical panel as I had to watch the Sochi one repeatedly to realize there's a very slight pause before the 3S, which I guess is where the weight shift occurred.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Yes, he shifted the weight on the free foot before the 3 Salchow, and because of that, that last jump couldn't count as part of a combination as Yuzuru intended to do. Because of the weight change, that 3S was out of the combination, whereas the 3Lz-1Lo were in combination; 3S should have been called as a sequence with the 3Lz and the 1Lo, but you can't do a 3 jumps sequence (you can do a 3 jumps combination bun only a 2 jumps sequence). So they had to call the 3Lz-1lo, because it was executed as a single element, but they had to call it as a sequence because he executed the 3S after those 2 jumps after the weight shifting.
If you pause the video at the exact frame in which Yuzuru executes the 1Lo, you can clearly see how he lost his balance a little bit and then his free foot was touching the ice before the take off of the Salchow: https://youtu.be/hUskvEAITdE?t=246

So back then this kind of thing meant losing the third jump in that combo entirely in the protocols, instead of appearing as a 3S* like it does nowadays?

Marius

Art on Ice
Final Flight
So back then this kind of thing meant losing the third jump in that combo entirely in the protocols, instead of appearing as a 3S* like it does nowadays?
Practically, yes. Having called the 3Lz+1Lo+SEQ., they called the 3Lz-1Lo as a sequence itself, and given that the sequence could only consist of 2 jumping elements the 3S did not even appear in the protocols.

PyeongChang2018

On the Ice
Pyeongchang2018

I’ve been checking out the new system using a worksheet I made. I’m still tweaking the formatting but I can send it to you when it’s done. Obviously, the results are going to be skewed because when I score I keep the GOE guidelines in front of me, and literally pause the video, count the positive bullets, subtract the negative bullets. Judges don’t have that luxury. Not to mention, most of the programs are on video at better angles than judges get - I'm actually starting to feel some sympathy for the judges. IJS seems to expect you to have eagle vision, encyclopedic memory, the ability to do math in 1/4 of a second, and hyperfocus on each tiny segment while still being able to clearly see the whole.
That is awesome. Thank you!