How long did it take you to learn Axel? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

How long did it take you to learn Axel?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Ok thank you for the posting tip but I don’t have option.

Lots of egos around this forum so thanks but jo thanks. You should learn to be a little more tactful in your replies.

Goodbye.

First of all, I was helping and nicely at that, whether one chose to read it that way or not. Everyone has the reply with quote option and it was later used in another post.

Secondly, there was no ego and I was helping from my former elite international competitor standpoint, but nevermind now. Just listen to your coach.

Curlygirly81

On the Ice
Don't compare yourself.. Everyone moves at their own pace. The axel is a very mental jump and as adults we can easily get into our own minds. Sometimes it's a good idea to move onto something else and go back to the axel later on. I would push to use the harness. It's a safety net and could be very helpful for some people. I for one am not a fan but others love it. Good luck! [emoji106]

goldensnitch

Spectator
I landed axel on my fourth day, but I landed it WAY faster than average. Yes, normally you do practice waltz jump back spin for a while.

Lach1980

Spectator
It took me one week. It really wasn't easy, was almost dying. I just asked my coach to teach me it at the beginning of our trainings. Same as math tests, practise practise and then a good result.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I landed axel on my fourth day, but I landed it WAY faster than average. Yes, normally you do practice waltz jump back spin for a while.

It took me one week. It really wasn't easy, was almost dying. I just asked my coach to teach me it at the beginning of our trainings. Same as math tests, practise practise and then a good result.

It's nice to know your experiences but this thread is dead over a year just FYI.

Annelegato

Rinkside
No. Not necessarily because safety is key and there has to be a reason your coach won't let you yet.

What is the highest jump you can actually successfully rotate and land on ice?

when i first learned it my backspin was ok/ not great. i guess my coach let me tried it bc i was on a harness. but i do agree that strong backspin, fast, lots of revs + good checkout does help landing the jump (now that my backspin is a lot better than before)

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
when i first learned it my backspin was ok/ not great. i guess my coach let me tried it bc i was on a harness. but i do agree that strong backspin, fast, lots of revs + good checkout does help landing the jump (now that my backspin is a lot better than before)

Uh, I wasn't quoting you there it was someone who trolled and is no longer here. Also, this thread is DEAD for over a year as I've stated above.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Well, looks to me like it's been resurrected. People get yelled at for starting new threads instead of searching for their topic and continuing that; then people get yelled at for finding an old thread on the topic they want to ask about. Geez, there is no winning around here.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I can't backspin, but I have a non-consistent axel. It's always fully rotated, I'm just bad at standing up lol. I have a good backspin position in the jump, I just can't backspin well. I can get the required revolutions I guess, but it feels awful and is not anywhere near my forward spins.

My personal issue is that threads like these are pointless.
Either they feed peoples ego, or they make them feel bad.
When you're figure skating the judges dont ask you halfway through a performance and ask when you learnt it.

Some people learn it in 2 weeks and never get onto triple jumps. Some take 2years and land all triples.
This thread may discourage people who are in the latter category. Or again, it just feeds peoples egos.

thesoundofice

Rinkside
I think it depends on many factor such as proper technique, weight, height, fear, age and other details.
It took me 8 months to learn it when I was 12, almost 2 years to relearn it at 30. It was easier to regain 2T and 2S than a proper Axel, I don't know why.
So don't get discouraged.
There's no ego in this post, just personal experience 😅, hope it might help.