Thread: competition advice

Rinkside

0 Not allowed!

competition advice

this friday im competing, and i am kind of nervous because i don't know if ill do everything correctly, i had been practicing my routines and i do them perfectly, also today at practice i felt my legs without strength, i am scared that something like this happens at competition, also i am doing exam, any advice?

I can't help but love the taste of danger, baby... Ic3Rabbit's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by katyaaranda View Post
    this friday im competing, and i am kind of nervous because i don't know if ill do everything correctly, i had been practicing my routines and i do them perfectly, also today at practice i felt my legs without strength, i am scared that something like this happens at competition, also i am doing exam, any advice?
    Concentrate on your breathing, listen to music with earpods before you compete, just kind of stay loose, run your program through in your head. This is common and happens to all of us, there are times I have skated a whole LP without feeling my legs and the first time it happens it can be scary, but it isn't really uncommon.

Talk with your coach and focus on them before you skate.

Good luck!

On the Ice

2 Not allowed!
    Don't think too far ahead while performing your routine. Take it one move / skill at a time. Concentrate on the skill (spin, jump, transition) at the time you're executing it and then concentrate on the next move.

Don't think about the other competitors. It's not about them; it's about skating YOUR best and what you've practiced.

Good luck!

Rinkside

2 Not allowed!
    the fact is you probably will make mistakes and your legs might feel like lead (mine do), but the good news is that everyone else is the same. It's stressful beforehand but it's not that bad once you're on the ice and once you're done you'll wonder why you were so worried, it's not a big deal. As long as you practice hard you've done as much as you can.

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by katyaaranda View Post
    As someone who auditions a lot for theater, and has competed in skating in the past, I wouldn't worry about doing things "perfectly" - I would focus on one move at a time and on having fun. Perfection is impossible and if you set that up as the goal, you will fail. Set a goal that is more attainable - smiling through your whole program, having fun, executing your favorite move with joy, hitting one moment of musicality - whatever it is that you want to walk away with having attained. Having fun is always a good goal. It's your first program, so I think focusing on enjoying the experience of competing will serve you well.