Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Thread: China Will Not Host ISU Events in 2018-19

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CaroLiza_fan View Post
    What do you mean by "OGMs"?

Because I read it as "Olympic Gold Medals", and Finland didn't win any medals in figure skating in Pyeongchang.
    Olympic Gold Medallists. Hanyu and Zagitova will be there.

Rinkside

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CaroLiza_fan View Post
    What do you mean by "OGMs"?

Because I read it as "Olympic Gold Medals", and Finland didn't win any medals in figure skating in Pyeongchang. In fact, they didn't even win 2 Gold medals in Pyeongchang in total - they only won one Gold (in Cross Country skiing for Iivo Niskanen in the Men's 50km Mass Start Classic).

So, I assume you mean something else. But, I can't even think of anything else that "OGM" could mean.

The curse of abbreviations...

CaroLiza_fan
    I think they mean that the Finland GP got both the Olympic Gold Medallists in Hanyu and Zagitova as a thank you and sort of repayment and sales boost.

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Olympic Gold Medallists. Hanyu and Zagitova will be there.
    Quote Originally Posted by gonewiththewind25 View Post
    I think they mean that the Finland GP got both the Olympic Gold Medallists in Hanyu and Zagitova as a thank you and sort of repayment and sales boost.
    Aha! I see what they mean now! (Although, I've never come across "OGM" being used in that way on here before).

Have to be honest, I didn't pay attention to who was going to which event when I looked at the assignments. All I did was look to see if a few specific names appeared in the tables or not. So, I don't think I would ever have worked it out myself.

Thank you both for the clarification.

CaroLiza_fan

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    Do you think the Korean Fed being a hot mess right now is why Jun Hwan Cha only got one gp assignment? I saw him perform at the Olympics and really enjoyed it and was looking forward to seeing him compete more this season!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by evasorange View Post
    Do you think the Korean Fed being a hot mess right now is why Jun Hwan Cha only got one gp assignment? I saw him perform at the Olympics and really enjoyed it and was looking forward to seeing him compete more this season!

Jun-Hwan didn't make any end of season top list so he didn't qualify for any event. The only skaters with 2 events that didnt make the lists were Erokhov and Rizzo. The former as a host pick and the later was also a JWC medallist . Only 1 event for CHa was fair enough.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiKike View Post
    Jun-Hwan didn't make any end of season top list so he didn't qualify for any event. The only skaters with 2 events that didnt make the lists were Erokhov and Rizzo. The former as a host pick and the later was also a JWC medallist . Only 1 event for CHa was fair enough.
    Rizzo was top 24 WS list. The only skaters who weren't top 24 in WS or SB and got two spots were Romain Ponsart and Alexey Erokhov, and both got one of those spots through a host pick. Like you said, it's not surprising Cha only got the on spot. He's SB 25. Last year Nam Nguyen was SB 26 and he only got 1 spot initially, but picked up a 2nd as a replacement. Cha will have a chance for that.

Tripping on the Podium

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhite View Post
    Rizzo was top 24 SB list.
    Rizzo was guaranteed of one spot by top 24 World Standing. In SB list he was 36th

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiKike View Post
    I think also Ponsart. But again one was a host pick

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea82 View Post
    Rizzo was guaranteed of one spot by top 24 World Standing. In SB list he was 36th

I think also Ponsart. But again one was a host pick
    I meant to put WS, not SB.

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by OS View Post
    LOL... this will certainly end up in huge international crisis for the region. China will demand it to be called Cup of Province of China, or Cup of Chinese Taipei, or Cup of the cute friendly tiny rebel brother who ran away to freedom and play..

The alternative is to call it Cup of Republic of China. Although it will get even more confusing than PCS and GOEs as China will demand it to call Cup of People's Republic of China... by that time I think ISU will be better off host it just in any ole training rink or in any ole shopping mall ... Korea, Hongkong, take a pick.... why not SINGAPORE! They have done a great service for N + S Korea for neutrality, I am sure they can save Cup of China!!! Have it at Marina Sands, and get people to bet on the winner to earn some funds for ISU. (May be it is the one place Julian Yee can get decent marks for once...? Since many can travel from Malaysia to support him.)
    Do they have a ice rink at Marina Bay Sands (they don't)?

As a Taiwanese citizen, I would like for speculations about ISU political wargames involving Taiwan to be left out of the discussion please. Since China has staged ACTUAL war games with missiles against Taiwan, it's not a joking matter for use as a joke on a FS board.

And "cup of cute friendly tiny rebel brother who ran away to freedom and play"... What the hell is that? Spoken from a person who has absolutely no idea of Taiwan history and the independence movement.

Rinkside

0 Not allowed!
    Refurbishing is just an excuse to avoid ruining the relationship with ISU. It would not be a problem at all if CSA wanted to host it. And if it was indeed a problem, it would be arranged way earlier.

CSA felt mishandled by ISU in terms of short track judging and figure skating judges ban. Besides, CSA has cumulated complaints about ISU since Chinese athletes have not been fairly treated many times in the past. The action feels like a strong statement to ISU since official complaints did not work.

I think CSA would like to host COC in future. Otherwise, they would not come up with an excuse which only works this year. But who knows. If ISU keeps being arrogant, it may not come back.

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24