China Will Not Host ISU Events in 2018-19 | Golden Skate

China Will Not Host ISU Events in 2018-19

atsumiri

Record Breaker
--> The Chinese Skating Association has informed the ISU that they are unable to host any ISU Event during the 18'/19'season.
'ISU GP of Figure Skating, originally planned to be held as Cup of China in China, preferably to be held in the Republic of Korea on November 2-4, 2018.'
*' ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating (including Pair Skating), originally planned to be held in Harbin/China on September 19-22, 2018, now to be held in Vancouver, Canada, on September 12-15, 2018.'
'Shanghai Trophy, originally planned to be held on September 29-October 1, 2018 in Shanghai/China, cannot be replaced and the season 2018/19 edition is cancelled.'
it's from a mail that the ISU send to the media

https://twitter.com/hueber_sydney/status/1006531179720380416

Sorrento

Record Breaker
--> The Chinese Skating Association has informed the ISU that they are unable to host any ISU Event during the 18'/19'season.
'ISU GP of Figure Skating, originally planned to be held as Cup of China in China, preferably to be held in the Republic of Korea on November 2-4, 2018.'
*' ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating (including Pair Skating), originally planned to be held in Harbin/China on September 19-22, 2018, now to be held in Vancouver, Canada, on September 12-15, 2018.'
'Shanghai Trophy, originally planned to be held on September 29-October 1, 2018 in Shanghai/China, cannot be replaced and the season 2018/19 edition is cancelled.'

Amazing. So Boyang... emm... so... who goes to Korea? Can we umm... We need to re-think it all over again. Korea! Wow. Is there any possibility to move French GP to Barcelona, forever? Cause, umm, I'd love it with all of my heart. (I really really love when skaters get real deal medals and not plastic nonsense instead. I wonder why it wasn't discussed at that Congress).

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

Wow, now that’s a bombshell.

And a bizarre choice given the desire to build up Chinese skating over the next four years.

On the other hand, Choi Dabin and Cha Jun-hwan must be delighted.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker

What is that? Unable? Is this a joke? Ridiculous!! What are the reasons for that?

(Why Korea? Come to Germany.....)

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
I wonder how GP assignment negotiations will go now that China has no home GP and as such no host spots, right?

Edit: I suspect they chose Korea so they can keep it to two GPs in Asia.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I wonder how GP assignment negotiations will go now that China has no home GP and as such no host spots, right?
Yeah, China’s hand is now much weaker, which is especially problematic since both of their top guns (Jin and Sui/Han) are invitation-dependent. Not that they won’t get invitations, mind you, but they have much less ability to maximize advantages for them.

So, what will the South Korean event be called? I’m pulling for the Kim Yuna Trophy, heh.

icybear

Medalist
I've heard they're renovating one of the usual venues for Beijing. So not really conflicting with this.

They're renovating the venue in beijing for the olympics but they can still host it in another venue like the one they used in Shanghai for Worlds 2015 which was also just used for the Shanghai trophy last year

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Name game is on. My guess, Hyundai Cup of South Korea. Or Samsung Trophy. :agree:

They're renovating the venue in beijing for the olympics but they can still host it in another venue like the one they used in Shanghai for Worlds 2015 which was also just used for the Shanghai trophy last year

Well, I don't know. :shrug: I can only wait for the press release.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Is there any other viable Asian venue if South Korea says no? Or do we then resort to the Grand Prix of Italy or something?

khtmyzr

Final Flight
Would this mean that the GP assignments will be announced later than expected? Or it shouldnt matter?

NaVi

Medalist
If Korea doesn't want it, I would consider Kazakhstan and Australia. And the Hong Kong federation is separate from the Chinese one. And there is Taipei which has hosted many 4CC and Junior Worlds recently though tbh, their events have been sparsely attended.