China Will Not Host ISU Events in 2018-19 | Page 10 | Golden Skate

China Will Not Host ISU Events in 2018-19

synteis

Medalist
I guess you don't know the art of words in Chinese. There are so many subtle things among the report which point to the conflict between ISU and CSA. As far as I know, CSA wouldn't make the conflict official at the moment. I bet they have a different tone when they directly negotiate with ISU.
I was relying on google translate so of course there's a huge number of things I would miss.

gizmo

On the Ice
Yes basically they say the venues need to be renovated blah blah for BJ Oly .....and this should be a year for their athletes to strengthen and get more opportunities to go beyond China to gain international exposures and experience ...... not really convincing reason for me.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
The Chinese judges are only doing what Russia Fed judges do, except ISU is not run by China but by Russia, or stuffed with China friendly federations. Case point Sotnikova and Alla Shekhovtsova for Sochi.

I laugh at the excuse ISU belittle minor federation's request for more judging opportunities, that implies if their skaters do better, they will get a chance. What a lot of bullocks! For years US, Candian, French, Russia ladies have done badly, but they always manage to squeeze their judges on the most important competitions of the season. How about European ladies in general, why did last 8 years WC FS (except last) are made of practically 100% European Judges against statistical anonmolies.

The whole principle of judging selection needs to be looked out, not run like some old men's club. Rich getting richer, and let's keep the poor out, or penalise them and bully them into submission if they dare to rebel.

The thing could have been fixed easily if disallow ALL federation judges mark for their own federation skaters. It is too bad too often what is 'scored' on the ice are the results of the old politicians running the sport and not the athletes.

roseyskater

Spectator
I am from Hong Kong and Hong Kong doesn't have a full size rink and they don't have spectator seating (only a few seats at some rinks) as the other major international competitions. By the way, all of them are in a shopping mall.

Midnightcass

On the Ice
Everyone is so ready to point fingers at some political controversy. 😂😂😂
The excuse they gave does make sense.... Kinda.
The Capital rink has been under renovations for months, that's why the pairs team are training at Sanya.
Many other ice rinks in China are located in malls or are too small to fit the requirements needed for a GPF. Other rinks are privately owned (Century Star, Chen Lu ICR) and again, probably won't meet the requirements from ISU.
Don't really know about Shanghai Trophy, and to be honest, I'm glad they're not hosting the JGPF competition in Harbin anymore. Their rinks are a travesty. Really.
I'm not surprised that they want to renovate all the rinks/finish renovating before any competitions. I did call it though. 😉

icybear

Medalist
Honestly I'm more surprised how she did not get an investigation earlier :scratch2:
Yeah cause like ISU usually scrutinise irregular scoring. Haha. There are way more blatant scoring and protest for investigations that ISU have totally turned themselves blind to than this. Talk about Sochi and the whole of Korea screaming for an investigation for the ladies event and 99% of people believing the scoring was unfair yet ISU does nothing about it. I guess they were too busy counting the cash they got from Russia. This is clearly ISU being bias against China. I bet if the judge was Russian or American or Japanese here then nobody would do anything about them

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Seems like a coordinated revamping of all winter sports facilities, including practice facilities to be used for the Games; substantial renovations that take more than the few months during the off-season, otherwise they could have staged the renovations so that the work schedules don't coincide with the autumn events themselves.

If coordinated renovation is the reason for cancelling all events, rather than just a smoke and mirrors excuse, doing it in the post-Olympic year before they host is the best timing, as opposed to during the middle of the Olympic cycle and cause a scramble to get the facilities ready in time for the Games. I assume the OG facilities would undergo at least one big test event during the quad, like how Sochi hosted 2012-2013 GPF and Gangneung hosted 2017 4CC.

DorYiu

Let’s go crazy
On the Ice
Everyone is so ready to point fingers at some political controversy. 😂😂😂
The excuse they gave does make sense.... Kinda.
The Capital rink has been under renovations for months, that's why the pairs team are training at Sanya.
Many other ice rinks in China are located in malls or are too small to fit the requirements needed for a GPF. Other rinks are privately owned (Century Star, Chen Lu ICR) and again, probably won't meet the requirements from ISU.
Don't really know about Shanghai Trophy, and to be honest, I'm glad they're not hosting the JGPF competition in Harbin anymore. Their rinks are a travesty. Really.
I'm not surprised that they want to renovate all the rinks/finish renovating before any competitions. I did call it though. 😉

The Capital rink does need renovation, last time when I was there, multiple toilets was out of order... :

Korea will probably take it, for Oly, they spend too much money on infrastructure (venue, transportation, etc) and it would be a waste not to use them, they could put it back to Pyeongchang, 2 hours from Seoul, not too bad. If I am FS fan from Korea, I would definitely go and check it out.

DorYiu

Let’s go crazy
On the Ice

ArenaWings

On the Ice
Move it to Taiwan and call it Cup of Taiwan, so China will stop doing this childish thing next year , just a thought ;)

charlotte14

Medalist
I saw it in Wechat newsfeed too, I was a bit surprised to see the title: Goodbye Cup of China, we are hoping to see you again.
Maybe it’s just me, but the wording used sounds like they are not sure if Cup of China is coming back next year or not... :shocked:
:slink: I don't get what they are doing... they don't think a GP on home ice will benefit their 2022 olympics?

Xen

Rinkside
:slink: I don't get what they are doing... they don't think a GP on home ice will benefit their 2022 olympics?

Um, figure skating was just collateral, general opinion in baidu bars is that speed skating and short track is what prompted this.

And for those who are seriously thinking of moving it to taiwan and calling it cup of taiwan....ugh, ISU might not want to engage in an intl relations nightmare.

Kara

Final Flight
I'm not so sure what their end game is other than showing the ISU they mean business. I fully expect favoritism in calls in Beijing as I expect favoritism in all home turf competitions for all sports so why are they going so far when they'll probably benefit in 2022? And yeah definitely no Cup of Taiwan. Korea is probably the only option for another GP in Asia unless ISU gives Japan another one.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
I'm not so sure what their end game is other than showing the ISU they mean business. I fully expect favoritism in calls in Beijing as I expect favoritism in all home turf competitions for all sports so why are they going so far when they'll probably benefit in 2022? And yeah definitely no Cup of Taiwan. Korea is probably the only option for another GP in Asia unless ISU gives Japan another one.

Japan would jump to the opportunity of hosting another event

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Move it to Taiwan and call it Cup of Taiwan, so China will stop doing this childish thing next year, just a thought ;)

LOL... this will certainly end up in huge international crisis for the region. China will demand it to be called Cup of Province of China, or Cup of Chinese Taipei, or Cup of the cute friendly tiny rebel brother who ran away to freedom and play..

The alternative is to call it Cup of Republic of China. Although it will get even more confusing than PCS and GOEs as China will demand it to call Cup of People's Republic of China... by that time I think ISU will be better off host it just in any ole training rink or in any ole shopping mall ... Korea, Hongkong, take a pick.... why not SINGAPORE! They have done a great service for N + S Korea for neutrality, I am sure they can save Cup of China!!! Have it at Marina Sands, and get people to bet on the winner to earn some funds for ISU. (May be it is the one place Julian Yee can get decent marks for once...? Since many can travel from Malaysia to support him.)