Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club | Page 49 | Golden Skate

Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i see the benefits of both for Joseph... but for once that we have a competitive male skaters in Quebec, it sucks LOL ;) come back home babyboy ;)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Jason gives TCC homies a shoutout in this ISU interview for Friendship Day. (What is with all these holidays...I clearly do not keep up)
https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...rom-around-the-world-friends?templateParam=15

Finally, I just moved to Toronto, and started training with a variety of other senior competitors, and there is a lot of camaraderie and support from each other on a daily basis. At the same time, we learn from each other and push one another to become better athletes. I feel very fortunate to train alongside Gabby (Daleman), Jun (Hwan Cha), Evgenia (Medvedeva), and Yuzuru (Hanyu) this year!! It’s going to be fun!

Haleth

On the Ice
A picture of Shingo and Sion Kamada seems to also have captured a wild Yuzuru and additional members of Team Cricket: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bl4Z-Usg2Vu/

Not sure if that's Jun in the hoodie (he favours those, but maybe the hoodie-wearer has lighter hair?) further in the background.

I've seen the US flag iirc in a few recent photos, but am not sure when it first made an appearance. Does anyone recall? And do I also now spy the Russian flag, or is my night mode betraying me?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Not to mention Zhenya’s;) I wonder if this would quiet the ridiculousness that she is somehow less Russian for training in Canada.

Probably not, sad to say, if you’re truly committed to ridiculousness.......

You should ask your better half if one can say such a thing.... meaning less or more + nationality... is that even proper grammar????

It's like very unique.. it's unique or it's not... or pregnant.. a woman is pregnant or she is not... anyways... sorry i am curious... as I am interested in languages, if one can say more/less + nationality... because it sound very stupid in my language ;) just like less pregnant would sound

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You should ask your better half if one can say such a thing.... meaning less or more + nationality... is that even proper grammar????

It's like very unique.. it's unique or it's not... or pregnant.. a woman is pregnant or she is not... anyways... sorry i am curious... as I am interested in languages, if once can say more/less + nationality... because it sound very stupid in my language ;) just like less pregnant would sound

I quite agree, I do not think one can be more or less Russian, anymore than I think "ridiculousness" is a good word.:laugh:

But I have read posts, in other threads, where the argument seemed to be that if Zhenya could actually, gasp, think that she could improve her skating by training in Canada rather than in Russia, she clearly was less committed to Mother Russia than those skaters who chose to stay there to train.

I would like to think that I am misreading those arguments. But if I am not misreading them, they are filled with "ridiculousness":biggrin: As Jason's IG post demonstrates:agree:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Arguably at the rate he’s going, Canada might be MORE American due to Jason’s antics. :laugh:

That is a joke, obviously.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I quite agree, I do not think one can be more or less Russian, anymore than I think "ridiculousness" is a good word.:laugh:

But I have read posts, in other threads, where the argument seemed to be that if Zhenya could actually, gasp, think that she could improve her skating by training in Canada rather than in Russia, she clearly was less committed to Mother Russia than those skaters who chose to stay there to train.

I would like to think that I am misreading those arguments. But if I am not misreading them, they are filled with "ridiculousness":biggrin: As Jason's IG post demonstrates:agree:

and what do these very ridiculous people think about the Russian athletes and coaches training in the USA? What amazes me is that training and/or getting an education abroad is usually an asset in so many disciplines.... but suddenly, a Russian figure skater training in Canada, at the same place that has shaped two of the top male skaters of the last decade, is doing something "wrong" to the point that she is betraying her own national pride or whatever...

WOW... sorry... I have read enough for today ... :scard7:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
and what do these very ridiculous people think about the Russian athletes and coaches training in the USA? What amazes me is that training and/or getting an education abroad is usually an asset in so many disciplines.... but suddenly, a Russian figure skater training in Canada, at the same place that has shaped two of the top male skaters of the last decade, is doing something "wrong" to the point that she is betraying her own national pride or whatever...

WOW... sorry... I have read enough for today ... :scard7:

Hi - Perhaps one of our Russian posters can weigh in on this, but from what I’ve read, most or all of the Russian skaters who’ve trained in the US trained with Russian coaches here, so among those people who care about this, it is considered “acceptable,” if not as good as training in Russia. I’m not sure my understanding is accurate, but my sense is that with respect to Zhenya’s choice to work with Brian, there’s not anti-Canadian bias per se; just a sense among some Russians that Russian skaters should train with Russian coaches. Obviously that’s not Zhenya’s belief, and it’s clear Jason is thrilled to be at TCC for all the reasons you listed: Brian is simply a great coach.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Hi - Perhaps one of our Russian posters can weigh in on this, but from what I’ve read, most or all of the Russian skaters who’ve trained in the US trained with Russian coaches here, so among those people who care about this, it is considered “acceptable,” if not as good as training in Russia. I’m not sure my understanding is accurate, but my sense is that with respect to Zhenya’s choice to work with Brian, there’s not anti-Canadian bias per se; just a sense among some Russians that Russian skaters should train with Russian coaches. Obviously that’s not Zhenya’s belief, and it’s clear Jason is thrilled to be at TCC for all the reasons you listed: Brian is simply a great coach.

the Russian posters have left that thread a long time ago ;)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think it's important to remember that there are cultural worldviews that may influence how some see see Zhenya's move to TCC. While I don't necessarily agree, I think we don't need to beat a dead horse about it. I certainly don't think Zhenya has relinquished her Russian cultural identity cause of that move, but I'm also not Russian.

I think i'm going to focus more on that we have some nice Jason/Zhenya content again. It's been a while.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I think it's important to remember that there are cultural worldviews that may influence how some see see Zhenya's move to TCC. While I don't necessarily agree, I think we don't need to beat a dead horse about it. I certainly don't think Zhenya has relinquished her Russian cultural identity cause of that move, but I'm also not Russian.

I think i'm going to focus more on that we have some nice Jason/Zhenya content again. It's been a while.

I agree. It's well known that I loved my time in Russia. For me, it was like a dream come true. It was weird when I came back home from that trip. St Petersburg was a great city and if I'd been able to stay longer, I think I would have grown to love it there. When I see a skater like Hanyu, he's spent a ton of time in Canada. However, I rarely hear him speak English or French. When I see him interviewed he's always very proud of Country and I imagine Med will be the same way even if she were stay to with Brian until she retires.