Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club | Page 50 | Golden Skate

Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Yuzu is a very bad example... he keeps to himself, people joke that he hasn't visited even GTA and that Zhenya has seen much more already...

Take Javier : he pretty much says Canada is like home... and he feels like the honorary Canadian skater everywhere he goes and as a matter of fact, Canadians loved having Javi on SOI... We will see how long Jason and Zhenya stay in Canada... a couple years doesn't really do much... I am from Montreal but lived most of my adult life in Vancouver... and my heart is split... same country but I feel parts of me that were very Montrealer were completely replaced by a new take on things, deeply influenced by living by the beach...

Identity is personal ... I didn't raise the topic, just answering to it.... but I can tell you all one thing : it gets annoying when in other sports, for instance tennis, people talk about Canadians not being Canadians because Milos was born in Montenegro or Denis was born in Israel... well.. they both moved to Canada at a young age and learned their tennis in Canada with Tennis Canada and are proud to represent Canada, the country they call home.... however on tennis forums, we often see people referring to them as "not being Canadian enough"

It just gets old...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Speaking of seeing Toronto: Jason got to enjoy a Dua Lipa concert at Echo Park, which is by the water. His friend (who still works with Kori at 7K) didn't only fork out the cash to visit Jason she bought the concert tickets. Dang, good friend.

I also dig Milie's "The Future is Female" shirt. :)

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Speaking of seeing Toronto: Jason got to enjoy a Dua Lipa concert at Echo Park, which is by the water. His friend (who still works with Kori at 7K) didn't only fork out the cash to visit Jason she bought the concert tickets. Dang, good friend.

I also dig Milie's "The Future is Female" shirt. :)

ALSO, I never really heard of Dua Lipa, but now I realize she actually did the vocals for this Calvin Harris song that I really like. Really cool. (It's really hot where I'm at, so I'm all about cool things.)

It’s been far too long since I’ve been to a good concert. I love that Jason lives it up and shares his adventures with us.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It’s been far too long since I’ve been to a good concert. I love that Jason lives it up and shares his adventures with us.

ME TOO, SAM. ME TOO.

I usually go to one decent concert a year. Went to Belle and Sebastian last year. Will have to do something different this year.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OK, OK, I’m sorry I reported the mythologies, even if I don’t believe them myself :giveup:

On a better topic, reading the comments on the Jason Zhenya “dance” post:

1. Joseph Phan says “Yaaassssss”

2. There is someone (male?) peaking out from behind the column. Any guesses?

Of course, being old and uncool, I only know modern music through skating. One of Karen Chen’s SOI programs was Dua Lipa. I had no idea if Dua was he she it or them. Now I know:laugh:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Yuzu is a very bad example... he keeps to himself, people joke that he hasn't visited even GTA and that Zhenya has seen much more already...

Yuzuru has basically admitted to being a 'hikikomori' in Toronto. :) But that's fine for him because he's a student and is focused so much on rehab and training.

It's interesting to note that while Jason is mostly posting things with Evgenia, she herself is interacting with various skaters at Cricket Club. She seems to be enjoying her time and new rink mates. Seems like a healthy situation for her.

Those rink mates had a good time at Minto. Two medals in junior men, one in junior pairs, two in junior ladies, one in junior ice dance. While McIsaac/Circelli did enough to get an international assignment. :thumbsup:

The Canadian Cricket kids are pretty tight knit though. Bruce withdrew from singles skating at Minto but could be seen loudly cheering on his friends on the bench. Conrad can be spotted with a big grin while Stephen takes his bows at the end of his SP. Even Shingo is there. Conrad, Bruce, Stephen, and Olivia all went out to dinner the day before the competition began. Though the group lost 'big brother' Dylan and 'human pretzel' Lubov they gained Olivia and Conrad. The 'dysfunctional family' is as close as ever. And now they will be cheering each other on as they hit the JGP.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Yuzuru has basically admitted to being a 'hikikomori' in Toronto.

Can you not?
One, he has "admitted" no such thing and two, he is no where near what a 'hikikomori' is, considering he is neither confined to his home, is not avoiding all social interactions, nor has that supposed avoidance caused major functional impairment, as it does with the hikikomori.

So please, stop. Hikikomori is a major issue and it has nothing to do with Yuzuru Hanyu.

I quite agree, I do not think one can be more or less Russian,...

I do. I think it is quite acceptable word usage to claim, for instance, that Evgeny Plushenko was "more Russian" than Alexei Yagudin. This could mean either that of the two, Yagudin was more the cosmopolitan "citizen of the world" or it could mean that Plushenko skated in a style more closely aligned with Russian skating and performing arts traditions.

Whether either of these claims is true or nor can be debated, but I think that the descriptive summary of "more or less Russian" is an OK use of language.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I do. I think it is quite acceptable word usage to claim, for instance, that Evgeny Plushenko was "more Russian" than Alexei Yagudin. This could mean either that of the two, Yagudin was more the cosmopolitan "citizen of the world" or it could mean that Plushenko skated in a style more closely aligned with Russian skating and performing arts traditions.

Whether either of these claims is true or nor can be debated, but I think that the descriptive summary of "more or less Russian" is an OK use of language.

Oh noooo now I need to think :laugh:

So maybe there are two approaches: one is a citizen of, and proud to be from, a particular country. Since I am not cosmopolitan, I will rely once more on poor beleaguered spousal unit: he lived in Great Britain. He lived there to get the best possible education in his chosen field. Did that make him any less American? Nope. Nor does training in Canada make Zhenya “less” Russian.

But if he said, I hate cheeseburgers and apple pie and fireworks on the Fourth of July and the Liberty Bell, would that make him less American? :scratch3: could we use the phrase there? Hmmm....:think:

But since Zhenya is trying to get Jason to drink that completely acquired taste kvass, she is clearly not less Russian:biggrin:

Danibellerika

Medalist
As I'm trying to schedule some touring time around ACI I can understand why Yuzu probably doesn't hit the city much. It's not exactly close especially factoring in traffic. I work in DC and live juuuust outside of it, but I'm hardly ever travelling to Baltimore. And heck, I've lived here my whole life and I can probably navigate Tokyo better than I can some parts of DC :laugh:.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Grammatically, it would depend on whether they were talking about русские (ethnic Russians) or россияне (Russian citizens). Certainly people can be more or less ethnically Russian than others. But русские stay русские even if they've never set foot in Russia, so they probably don't use that word. If they're saying she's less of a Russian citizen, then that's still grammatically correct in the non-literal sense: basically, they're calling her a traitor.

Honestly, if someone wants to say she's less Russian amongst their friends in their living rooms, whatever. If that's their opinions, so be it. But I don't think they should be posting it on the internet. Let it stay in their homes.

As for Hanyuu, noooooo, he is not a hikikomori! *crosses self, knocks wood, makes three spitting noises over left shoulder* (<---how's that for Russian-ness? :laugh:)

Ugh, there is just way too much negativity and criticism (not specifically here or anything, just in general). I wish all skaters the best, no matter what! :cheer:

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
could we use the phrase there? Hmmm....:think:

Perhaps the question can be who is stereotypically more Russian/American/etc? Skates more in line with the Russian school, or Americans who like apple pie and fireworks etc ;)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Dogs and cats hate fireworks, ha.

As to all that culture talk, Jason says to forget it and dance. :biggrin:

(I feel like I need to listen to that song in the video, cause I'm feeling that literally. We had a high of 103 F (39 C)! (Granted dry heat, but still.)

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Identity is personal

Just as identity is personal, it's also personal, the way one is able to be in their environment. I don't think it makes Yuzuru a "very bad example" of anything. Here's a translation of a quote from Yuzuru, on this subject, that I saved. Sorry I don't have the link, but I got the quote somewhere on GS.

Journalist : “Are you a strong person?"
Yuzuru, immediately: “No, I’m weak. I’m very, very weak. It’s because I’m weak that I need to isolate myself that much, otherwise I wouldn’t be able to do this, I wouldn’t be able to take it all and go on. I think that if you are strong, whatever people say, whatever your environment is, it doesn’t matter, you can create your own self without being influenced. However, I think the reason I can’t create this own-self is because I’m weak.”

"It's lonely. But my mental and physical condition get affected by my surroundings, and I have to shut them out of myself to skate the way I want to skate. So, in some ways, I want to be lonely.”

"I think there is no such thing as 'the limit' or 'the strongest' program in the world. I would like to make further efforts aiming at the quality only I can achieve, the program elements only I can execute, and the expression only I can make."

There are lots of people in the world for whom their "mental and physical condition get affected" by their surroundings. Often people with such open psyches (someone described it as having lots of antennae for receiving feelings, ideas, information, rather than the two that most people have) find they have to limit the stimuli they receive, in order to accomplish what they want to accomplish. Paul McCartney wrote a song about it called Fixing a Hole.

It doesn't mean Yuzuru doesn't love Canada, IMHO. It means he's not like Javi. Everybody's different.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
That's a what, not a who :p But yes, dogs and cats...totally not their jam.

In other news, does anyone know what happened with Tracy's daughter? She was in the hospital and got 7 stitches in her head.

- That was kind of Yuzu.

you need to read better than that ;) Tracy got Yuzu to sign the card.. her daughter (does she have any children, i have no clue) is not at hospital...

ETA Never mind me.. i didn't click on the photo and saw partial images on my phone. MEA CULPA

ETA 2 deleted link from quote

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Just as identity is personal, it's also personal, the way one is able to be in their environment. I don't think it makes Yuzuru a "very bad example" of anything. Here's a translation of a quote from Yuzuru, on this subject, that I saved. Sorry I don't have the link, but I got the quote somewhere on GS.

There are lots of people in the world for whom their "mental and physical condition get affected" by their surroundings. Often people with such open psyches (someone described it as having lots of antennae for receiving feelings, ideas, information, rather than the two that most people have) find they have to limit the stimuli they receive, in order to accomplish what they want to accomplish. Paul McCartney wrote a song about it called Fixing a Hole.

It doesn't mean Yuzuru doesn't love Canada, IMHO. It means he's not like Javi. Everybody's different.

you are misunderstanding my post :

I have no issue with Yuzu focusing on his skating and studying, and not taking time to visit and goof around. It is working for him = look at his results.

I was saying that mr rice, the user before me, was using Yuzuru as an example of an athlete going to Canada and not speaking any of its languages nor visiting etc... and always mentioning his home country in interviews.

Well, Yuzuru is a bad example because he doesn't represent the majority of athletes training abroad... he is unique in his identity...

I gave Javier as an example because it's very contrasting and is more in line with what athletes do in other countries, the same as Patrick developing friendships with skaters in Detroit when he was training in Canton and so on...