Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club | Page 52 | Golden Skate

Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club

TGee

Record Breaker
Since we're talking urban wildlife experiences for TCC newcomers, I'm actually looking forward to Evgenia's reaction to wild turkeys.

They've made a big comeback in Ontario and they're not shy.

My first encounter saw our two then toddlers exclaiming at 3 fluffy grey 'chickens' on our neighbour's lawn one spring. I only processed them as enormous wild turkey chicks when their mama, many times more enormous, tried to round them up.

Here's a story on a turkey in traffic in downtown Toronto this April.

http://dailyhive.com/toronto/wild-turkey-toronto-april-video

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
this turkey will be just big enough for Thanksgiving dinner at TCC

As we head back to Jason, he will be shocked to find out that Thanksgiving in Canada is in mid-October.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
^ Canadian Thanksgiving is the same day Columbus Day in the U.S. I was in Victoria on Thanksgiving Day a few years back and my husband didn't have to use a vacation day because he already had the day off for Columbus Day (alas my company does not take off on that day, oh well).

I would be cool with double opportunities for turkey and pie.

TGee

Record Breaker
^

I would be cool with double opportunities for turkey and pie.

I always did that when I was in the US. Americans were always happy to join in an early "turkey day" . [emoji6]

But the wild turkeys make the turkeys some of my relatives on the Prairies raise look like a different species...

These are chicks! (Okay the proper word for turkeys is poults..)

https://goo.gl/images/NnBRhc

In Detroit, for decades the black squirrels lived on the east side and the grey/red squirrels lived on the west side. (Black squirrels were supposedly introduced into Michigan by the cereal man W. K. Kellogg in some sort of science experiment at Michigan State University.)

Anyway, some time in the 1990s the black squirrels learned how to cross the street and started infiltrating the west side. They are more aggressive than the grey squirrels and when they mix, the black squirrels eventually take over, although we went through a period where we saw a lot of hybrids with weird markings, such as a blonde streak down their backs or blonde heads. People like the grey squirrels better because they are more friendly to humans and cuter (rounder faces, bushier tails. :) )

Last edited:
In Detroit, for decades the black squirrels lived on the east side and the grey/red squirrels lived on the west side. (Black squirrels were supposedly introduced into Michigan by the cereal man W. K. Kellogg in some sort of science experiment at Michigan State University.)

Anyway, some time in the 1990s the black squirrels learned how to cross the street and started infiltrating the west side. They are more aggressive than the grey squirrels and when they mix, the black squirrels eventually take over, although we went through a period where we saw a lot of hybrids with weird markings, such as a blonde streak down their backs or blonde heads. People like the grey squirrels better because they are more friendly to humans and cuter (rounder faces, bushier tails. :) )

Interesting! Thanks!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Yes, it was a squirrel version of “West Side Story.” :laugh:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
NH has grey squirrels..I had never seen any other kind.. moving to CT a year ago, I said to my sister what are those little red things? She said. Ya they are red squirrels.. no NH grey squirrels down here..
I said How Cute!!

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Squirrels? Are they training at TCC now?

Did anybody listen to TSL’s latest video? Dave had comments about both Jason (brief) and Stephen G (more extensive).

zeferjen

Spectator
Hi - hope it's ok to post this question here. My husband has a business trip to Toronto at end of August and we are thinking of coming along. My daughter would love to watch practice ice here. Is it possible? If so, is there any way to know the schedules? I assume guest skating is not possible.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Hi - hope it's ok to post this question here. My husband has a business trip to Toronto at end of August and we are thinking of coming along. My daughter would love to watch practice ice here. Is it possible? If so, is there any way to know the schedules? I assume guest skating is not possible.

I think it’s a private club, meaning no random visitors, but maybe you can call them to ask. Sometimes TCC skaters train at Scotiabank rink though - situation may be different there. Maybe Haleth or someone else living in Toronto can tell you for sure.

Haleth

On the Ice

Brian is hosting an ice show in Port Carling on Aug. 25, at which Javi has graciously agreed to star. If you are able and willing to drive up to PC and at least overnight then the ticket prices are not bad (there are also more expensive ones that allow you to go to a meet and greet). Link: http://www.portcarlingskatingclub.ca/beat-the-heat-summer-skating-show.html

I’ve no experience with asking for permission to watch the skaters at local rinks, nor do I have relatives who skate and who have needed me to ask about ice time. Unless you know a TCC member who can bring you as a guest, I very much doubt they’d allow non-members in except for certain events like participating in their summer skating camp. I don’t know what the policies are at Scotiabank Pond are. I’d imagine checking the GTSA website for their policies or calling them would answer your questions: http://www.gtsa.ca/training-centre/

Welcome, zeferjen. I can't answer your question, but I hope you decide to stick around on Golden Skate. :yes:

zeferjen

Spectator
Welcome, zeferjen. I can't answer your question, but I hope you decide to stick around on Golden Skate. :yes:

Thanks. I have been a LONG time lurker but have never posted. I am a skate mom to a daughter who ice dances and also competes freestyle and also a huge skating fan.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This morning I asked a friend and former skater who used to train at TCC (former Team Canada) about guest policies and unlike a lot of rinks any guests must check in and register up front. Even family members of guests. You’d need a member or official buisiness to continue past the front or to arrange a tour as potential future member to really get in and even then I doubt they’d let you just sit and watch them skate. Even the website needs a membership and password to access the majority of it.

FWIW: Even at the rink locations in my metro area where access is open and welcome to the public people will notice non skaters and guests who wonder in and start watching figure skating. In a way visiting skaters at TCC is a similar idea to rolling into a private country club and watching Tiger Woods play a practice round. Not impossible...and it never hurts to ask thru the proper channels but in the end it’s very unlikely. Nothing wrong with calling and asking. Just be prepared to hear them say no :)

zeferjen

Spectator
This morning I asked a friend and former skater who used to train at TCC (former Team Canada) about guest policies and unlike a lot of rinks any guests must check in and register up front. Even family members of guests. You’d need a member or official buisiness to continue past the front or to arrange a tour as potential future member to really get in and even then I doubt they’d let you just sit and watch them skate. Even the website needs a membership and password to access the majority of it.

FWIW: Even at my rink locations in our metro area where access is open and welcome to the public people will notice non skaters and guests who wonder in and start watching figure skating. In a way visiting skaters at TCC is a similar idea to rolling into a private country club and watching Tiger Woods play a practice round. Not impossible...and it never hurts to ask thru the proper channels but in the end it’s very unlikely. Nothing wrong with calling and asking. Just be prepared to hear them say no :)

Thank you so much! I will give it a try, can't hurt to ask. It looks like there are a lot of great sites to see in Toronto regardless so I am still very excited to visit

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Hi, welcome.

No, it’s a private club, you won’t be able to visit like you wish to.

Haleth

On the Ice
I am thrilled Javi's doing Port Carling this year, even though I doubt we'll be able to drive up and spend the night (my partner will have been out of town but ironically much closer to PC if the show was earlier in the month). No idea if any of the other elite TCC skaters will be participating, or if even Brian will be there, because that's the weekend of JGP Bratislava and therefore Stephen's JGP debut. Brian would have to take a night flight back to TO on Friday after the FP and then drive (unless the lucky man flies to a much closer airport) to make the afternoon show. Not impossible but quite a lot of stress. Because of this, I'd imagine then it would be even less likely for Stephen to perform at the show. Certainly I'd prefer he'd rest and recharge before looking ahead to Vancouver.

I wonder if this means Javi will do some choreo/training at the TCC. If he really does want to attend another Europeans, I'm sure he'd want to win and for that he knows he'd have to put in some time with his coaching team. JO is not a high-stakes event, so although I'm sure he'd want to do well, it doesn't have the glow that another gold at Euros would have. In the end, however, I am for whatever he wants to do for himself, whether it means not doing any competitions this season and retiring, just doing JO, or doing that plus a Challenger and Euros. Team Cricket will have his back regardless! (though I'm pretty sure Yuzu and Gabby would be thrilled to have him as a rinkmate again)