Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club | Page 53 | Golden Skate

Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I was just remembering that I saw Gabby live at Skate America 2016. She was awesome, and just super, super fast - I couldn’t take my eyes off her. Hoping she has a great year!

tha

On the Ice
I have a question for our Canadian users.... What animal is in Zhenya's ig? Is that a squirrel? 😂😅 It seems big

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I have a question for our Canadian users.... What animal is in Zhenya's ig? Is that a squirrel? 😂😅 It seems big

Yes, it's a squirrel if you go back the last 3 or so pages here it's been discussed extensively.:laugh:

tha

On the Ice
Yes, it's a squirrel if you go back the last 3 or so pages here it's been discussed extensively.:laugh:

haha i thought the discussion was about the other squirrels that zhenya had filmed before so i skipped them :laugh: sorry

TGee

Record Breaker
I'm going to throw out a question to those who are better at following Japanese social media...

Does anyone know how Gabby did in the end in the jump off during the Oskaka performance of "The Ice" ...?

Last I've seen is that the final round of the jump off was going to be between Alina Zagitova and Gabby.

It's great to see Gabby's confidence coming back after her "annus horribilus"....however it turns out!

And it would be great to know how she does in Aichi in 'The Ice' second stop this weekend....

Not to mention all of our curiosity about what direction Boyang will be flying in when he's done this event....

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I see Raj of Jackson Ultima has been visiting TCC again recently. Instagram evidence, a photo with Evgenia and Jason: https://www.instagram.com/p/BmCdRKrlFzL/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Sad to say no photobombing by local raccoons, squirrels, or Canadian geese!

I await Evgenia and Jason's expeditions to the Don (closest), Rouge, and Humber watersheds to check out the local beavers, muskrats, foxes, deer, and coyotes...

then, they can reach the farmland... and discover cows and bagged milk :)

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm firmly in the squirrels are cute camp (even when they chatter their teeth on a tree limb right outside my bedroom window) and am enjoying Zhenya sharing her love for wildlife.

Happy Birthday, Joseph Phan (Check out Jason's instastory for his birthday shout out to Joseph).

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I'm firmly in the squirrels are cute camp (even when they chatter their teeth on a tree limb right outside my bedroom window) and am enjoying Zhenya sharing her love for wildlife.

Happy Birthday, Joseph Phan (Check out Jason's instastory for his birthday shout out to Joseph).

Hah - Joseph shares his birthday with Barack Obama and Meghan Markle!

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was saying that mr rice, the user before me, was using Yuzuru as an example of an athlete going to Canada and not speaking any of its languages nor visiting etc... and always mentioning his home country in interviews.

Well, Yuzuru is a bad example because he doesn't represent the majority of athletes training abroad... he is unique in his identity...

Maybe my post was an oblique connection, but I still think there's a connection. People in the thread were discussing skaters who are busily exploring Toronto's culture in their time away from the ice. Count me as someone who's very happy to see each skater doing what they need and love to do in their off-ice time, whether that means going out and around, or keeping a lower profile as Yuzuru does.

I was also thinking about Mr Rice's comment about Yuzuru speaking Japanese. It reminded me of Gordeeva and Grinkov. Gordeeva started answering questions in English (though not exclusively) even when she was 16 at the Calgary Olympics. She later was the spokesperson for the pair whenever they were interviewed in English. Scott Hamilton wrote in his book that Sergei understood English perfectly, but he preferred not to speak it in interviews because he was such a perfectionist. That's just Scott's "take," of course.

It was a personal choice for Sergei; it's a personal choice for Yuzuru, for whatever reason(s) he has. Personally, I really like that he answers in Japanese, because even the translation then expresses the Japanese culture and his particular personality and values more fully. Those things interest me. I also felt that way when I heard Evgenia's responses to questions at 2016 Worlds; she was so eloquent. Yet, I also really admire that she's learned a lot of English since then and uses it. It's all good.