Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club | Page 56 | Golden Skate

Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club

TGee

Record Breaker
As a Vancouverite, I gotta disagree there ;)
Uhm, I'm originally a coast girl myself.

So, I was referring to Vancouver when I mentioned opportunity to skate in the city with the best Chinese food in Canada.

I anticipate that Boyang will be at the GP final in Vancouver.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Is he being pushed by the media as the new Patrick? I thought they were kind of doing that with Gogolev.

Isn't Gogolev still a Junior? Technically, he's great. I still prefer Joseph's smooth and powerful style. Very much like Patrick and Kevin.

danse

On the Ice
Gogolev is definitely the one getting more buzz, I think. Though Joseph will be moving up into seniors before Stephen, so I expect there'll be more pressure on him next season rather than this one.

When they did that "passing of the torch" fluff piece, they chose to have Nam Nguyen in it as the men's representative. If Nam doesn't improve this year, any desire I think Skate Canada has for him will be passed completely and driven focus will be on Phan and Gogolev.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Is he being pushed by the media as the new Patrick? I thought they were kind of doing that with Gogolev.

the media is not pushing either boys as the new patrick. they are just saying that these guys show a lot of promise, and the focus is more on gogolev anyways.

I call him mini-chiddy.. but that's just me... and well some others pick that up.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I would love to interview both of these young men and ask them what it's like to be considered the next Patrick Chan. Personally, I would consider it, the hornor of a lifetime. Patrick is a legend.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Mrrice, Joseph and Steven are both excellent skaters but they’re very different. Steven has amazing jump technique and is landing the hardest jumps in competition- and he’s very young. Joseph is a few years older and seems like a very “complete” skater. It will be fun to watch both of them progress!

Ulrica

On the Ice
I would love to interview both of these young men and ask them what it's like to be considered the next Patrick Chan. Personally, I would consider it, the hornor of a lifetime. Patrick is a legend.

I think being considered the next big thing is both great and a huge burden, especially for someone as young as Gogolev, comparisons and very high expectations will happen. But I do a agree that being compared to someone as great as Patrick is an honor either way.

Ulrica

On the Ice
the media is not pushing either boys as the new patrick. they are just saying that these guys show a lot of promise, and the focus is more on gogolev anyways.

I call him mini-chiddy.. but that's just me... and well some others pick that up.

I think is in the nature of the media (of any country) to look for the next big thing in any field that is losing its biggest national representative, and to gather interest from the public they will name the young promising talent(s) the new "insertfamousathlete'snamethatisretiring". I do find a little more resemblance to Patrick's on Gogolev's skating than on Phan's, but it is a bit to early to tell as they are still just developing their styles.

fierysky

Rinkside
I have to agree that neither men are being pushed as the "new Patrick", more like very high prospects of being the next torchbearer after Patrick.

I do think in comparison though, Phan is the more Patrick-like of the two. Like mrrice mentioned, Phan has the smooth and powerful style of Patrick, and they are also closer in terms of body lines and figure. I see more subtle shades of a Javi - Yuzu mix in Stephen, but have no doubt he would eventually come to his own as he continues to grow and mature. Both of them actually.

But like others, I do worry about the pressure of the focus and the inevitable high expectations Stephen is (and will be) receiving, especially when he's still so young.

Nevertheless both are exciting future prospects for Canadian men skating. So it'll be an exciting JGP this year for me. :)

lichi

sui holding a deep edge
On the Ice
Brian needs to stuff Boyang into his suitcase when he comes back :pray:

tothepointe

On the Ice
Another Montreal skate costuming house...

I think we're up to 3 now.

And I'm wondering if they will be working with Gabby on one of her competitive or EX costumes for this season. It sounds as though she feels that they understand her well.

Gabby's recent competitive costumes have been designed by Josiane Lamond of Elite Xpression also in Montreal... designer of Yuna Kim's later costumes.

I'm wondering if Zhenya and Jason will be going to Lamond now that they are working with TCC coaches...?

The marketing looks ok but the actually quality of dresses relative to the price is not that great.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
^ Regarding costumes for Jason, I don’t care who he works with - but please, please, please keep them simple and elegant and just say “no” to Rohene and glittery, over the top costumes! I love Rohene’s choreo, but some of the FS costumes he wanted Jason to wear (eg, the original costumes for Piano, Tristan & Iseult) were...not so great. :)

AprilS

On the Ice
Uhm, I'm originally a coast girl myself.

So, I was referring to Vancouver when I mentioned opportunity to skate in the city with the best Chinese food in Canada.

I anticipate that Boyang will be at the GP final in Vancouver.

Ah I see, I thought you meant Toronto, since we were talking about Cricket :laugh:

Haleth

On the Ice
I recall Patrick naming Stephen and Nic Nadeau as 2 young Canadian male skaters to watch in a Q&A a few months back. But I never took that as having an unspoken message of "because they skate like me".

Stephen is quite young (13) so hopefully the press will allow him to grow. From interviews it sounds like he understands why being a complete skater is a wonderful aspiration and has never been interested in only focusing on the jumps even though being a quad prodigy is garnering him lots of attention. He has a long road ahead of him and as long as he and his parents are in it for the long slow haul (and it sounds like they are) then they should be able to navigate the disruptions of puberty and injuries patiently. In the meantime I'm very very glad SC is not putting their eggs in one basket, because there are multiple interesting talents out there and it's difficult to predict how they will develop. I am glad that they aren't going for all one type of skater as I'm enjoying watching other skaters like Joseph and Conrad learn and improve over time.

TGee

Record Breaker
The marketing looks ok but the actually quality of dresses relative to the price is not that great.
You are looking at the off-the-rack dresses in Canadian $s (which are low compared to US presently). If you are in the US, divide the price by 1.4 to get a US$ version.

Based on what I've seen in shops here, their dresses and training wear is very nice quality in terms of materials and workmanship. Montreal is known for fashion in Canada and EliteXpression's atelier is conscious of its reputation.

The custom dresses vary a lot in cost based on materials according to the news stories. The most expensive dress they ever made was Yuna Kim's crystal-encrusted Olympic costume.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Mrrice, Joseph and Steven are both excellent skaters but they’re very different. Steven has amazing jump technique and is landing the hardest jumps in competition- and he’s very young. Joseph is a few years older and seems like a very “complete” skater. It will be fun to watch both of them progress!

Tavi!! I totally agree with this comment.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think is in the nature of the media (of any country) to look for the next big thing in any field that is losing its biggest national representative, and to gather interest from the public they will name the young promising talent(s) the new "insertfamousathlete'snamethatisretiring". I do find a little more resemblance to Patrick's on Gogolev's skating than on Phan's, but it is a bit to early to tell as they are still just developing their styles.

really? it is the first time I read that. I have read the opposite often..

tothepointe

On the Ice
You are looking at the off-the-rack dresses in Canadian $s (which are low compared to US presently). If you are in the US, divide the price by 1.4 to get a US$ version.

Based on what I've seen in shops here, their dresses and training wear is very nice quality in terms of materials and workmanship. Montreal is known for fashion in Canada and EliteXpression's atelier is conscious of its reputation.

The custom dresses vary a lot in cost based on materials according to the news stories. The most expensive dress they ever made was Yuna Kim's crystal-encrusted Olympic costume.

I'm not talking about EliteXpression. I'm talking about the ones at mycostumehouse.com specifically since the Gabby Daleman collection was mentioned.

They are asking for $800-$1400 for dresses with unfinished hems, not particular blinged out and with visibly poor stitching in some samples. All RTW. I've worked in and around the garment industry for the last 20 years and I'm not particularly impressed. I seem to recall this particular designer getting called out by a more established dress maker in the US last year and then having to take her Etsy store down.

I don't think people will be lining up to pay $1350 for this. http://mycostumehouse.com/product/empress-2-0/

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
See..us skating fans are kind of low key. Why don't any of us Cosplay our favourite skaters at events or when we watch at home? I kind want to squish myself into that pantsuit that Kostner wore at Europeans and watch the Grand Prix season. I wonder what my dog would think. I'd be quite a site walking around my neighbourhood with the dog at 3 am like I did in 2016 during NHK.