Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club | Golden Skate

Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club

IceBallerina

On the Ice
Welcome to the Cricket team

This thread is a news and event center for the students of Brian Orser, Tracy Wilson, and Lee Barkell. You can find and discuss information about training, competitions, and social media updates from team TCC.

Team Cricket includes: Yuzuru Hanyu, Evgenia Medvedeva, Javier Fernández, Jason Brown, Gabrielle Daleman, Stephen Gogolev, Cha Jun-hwan, Conrad Orzel, and more :)

Latest Updates

• Jin Boyang will not be coached by Orser
• Yuzuru Hanyu, Cha Jun-hwan to compete at Autumn Classic
• Gabby Daleman has started her own costume line!
• Orser and Wilson have signed a contract with the Chinese Skating Federation to prepare for Beijing 2022

(Original Thread was based on Medvedeva's move to Canada)​

IndiaP12

iliabot wakabot gumennikbot team korea stan
Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Yay!!! That’s exciting to know

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Will her fans be waiting at Pearson, lol.

Good luck to Evgenia in her new adopted home. I love Toronto, hope she enjoys the city in addition to training with Orser and team.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Which show? I though her next show was Dreams on Ice July 6th-8th, about 3 weeks from now.
Right. So let's say she arrives next week, on the weekend. Jet lag usually takes about a week to get completely used to. And when she's used to it, she travels to Japan, jet lag again. And then back, jet lag again. To me, it's not very well planned... It's usually not very good for efficient training to be constantly jet lagged.

charlotte14

Medalist
Right. So let's say she arrives next week, on the weekend. Jet lag usually takes about a week to get completely used to. And when she's used to it, she travels to Japan, jet lag again. And then back, jet lag again. To me, it's not very well planned... It's usually not very good for efficient training to be constantly jet lagged.
Maybe she needs a lot of money to train in TCC.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Next thread: Medvedeva to arrive in
Canada this morning.

why not? there has been so many threads about fictional jumps from other skaters.. i don't mind getting threads about actual real life events from skaters.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
Assuming she arrives in Canada at the beginning of next week, so June 18, she has a couple of weeks to settle in, do all the moving with her accomodation, getting to know the city and of course starting to train at the rink before she has to go to Japan for a week. Then I assume from July 9th onward she'll be at TCC with no further interruptions.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
She is probably the 1st elite Russian female skater to be coached by a non Russian. Plus she has a large following so.

She's moving to Toronto, Canada, a very cosmopolitan city, from Moscow, Russia, a very cosmopolitan city. People are acting like she's going to some backwater in the Yukon or something.

She's 18 years old, she speaks English well, there are many other foreigners at TCC, she's traveled a lot in her life. It's not going to be that hard for her. I'm very happy that she's getting to have the experience, but I just think the concern trolling is a bit much.

TGee

Record Breaker
She's moving to Toronto, Canada, a very cosmopolitan city, from Moscow, Russia, a very cosmopolitan city. People are acting like she's going to some backwater in the Yukon or something.

She's 18 years old, she speaks English well, there are many other foreigners at TCC, she's traveled a lot in her life. It's not going to be that hard for her. I'm very happy that she's getting to have the experience, but I just think the concern trolling is a bit much.
Sorry you are seeing this as trolling.

Most of us know that both cities are cosmopolitan and are indulging in a bit of tongue-in-cheek humour about the quirks of moving, including the quirks of life in Ontario. This is after all a thread about her arrival in Toronto.

I will say though that when I moved away for grad school one of the most disorienting things was buying products made by major multinationals and finding the taste "wrong" or getting a rash (from my favourite soap) just because the "national formulation" was different. It's different than experimenting when travelling.

It's a courageous move for Zhenya ...and most of us wish her the best, as was discussed on the thread about her coaching change.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Toronto is new to Jason Brown too and he spent last Saturday doing some exploring. In an instastory about his adventure, he included a welcome for Evgenia:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DfRgbCqX0AAvclD.jpg

Now that Jason has discovered IG stories, I can’t wait for the one where he and Zhenya explore Toronto:laugh: And the fact that she calls Jason “Sunny boy” in English on her SM shows she has a fine grasp of the language ;)

Leaving a long time coach for a new adventure is a challenge, but one I’m sure she will embrace :)

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
There's a very sizeable Ukrainian community in Toronto as well as a smaller Russian one so there's definitely buckwheat and rye bread in some of the local bakeries. I don't know how big those communities are in Oakville though, assuming that that's where she lives since the Ukrainian bakeries I know are all in the north of the city. Also, I do buy both flours regularly here but they can be quite expensive unfortunately. Nothing beats buckwheat pancakes though.

Why Oakville? As far as I know (which is what google tells me), TCC is in North York.

synteis

Medalist
Why Oakville? As far as I know (which is what google tells me), TCC is in North York.

You're totally right, I don't know why I was remembering it wrong.Especially embarrassing since when I was a kid I went to school up around there :palmf:

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ah well, it could be worse! Med coming is such a huge event that we need something to talk about. I think I've heard enough about bagged milk though. For the record though, I drink milk from cartons and have found a brabd of kefir that I like. I live very close to the Cricket Club and am quite willing to give her a guided tour of food in the area. Toronto is a fabulous city for foodies!:)

Haha I'm happy to talk about Med coming to Toronto! Bring me allll the juicy threads. I just would love to not rehash the milk discussion. I didn't mind it the first time, but now that we're on the third round, it's like... okay. We're good; we've covered it all already. Call me a curmudgeon if you want :laugh: