Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club | Page 47 | Golden Skate

Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club

Danibellerika

Medalist
Thanks for your responses!

But then I wonder why people think we’ll learn about Boyang at media day, and also - well, I can see media not being that interested in Jason, for example, but what about Evgenia? She’s probably not quite as much of a rock star as Yuzuru, but I expect a lot of international media will be interested her plans. I wonder if they’ll do a media day for her, too - but I guess we’ll see. :)

Did she do much of that in Eteri's camp? The thing about Med is that she is very active on social media so we already know quite a bit of her plans, like her program music this year. Yuzu not so much since he is so tight lipped. There's also the Russian test skates. But if they want to expand it to others now, Yuzuru isn't on the ice all of the time so maybe they can schedule media accordingly. Japanese media would probably be interested in reporting on her too. Was there much coverage on Javi on these media days?

TGee

Record Breaker
Ive known that stephen has almost all of the quads, but theres a difference between just hearing about his jumps along with the occasional harness video and seeing a 5'0, waif-like boy in competition rotate like his life depends on it. Its really impressive, but i am scared for his joints at the same time
I wouldn't worry about Stephen...

Brian Orser was the 3A prodigy of his generation and sounds to be really thinking of the long horizon with Stephen.

In interviews a couple of years ago, when Stephen was already landing the easier quads at 11, Brian is on record as saying that he set a limit on the number of quad attempts per session or day given Stephan's age. And it was a very low number.

And Brian doesn't believe in repetitive run throughs...in stark contrast to certain Russian training approaches.

Skaters at TCC work on pieces of programs, but the pressure is there to deliver clean on the run throughs. And Fridays, the skaters do run throughs watching each other and a bell is rung when they go clean.

So, Stephen's body is being protected...

Sydney Rose

Final Flight

But then I wonder why people think we’ll learn about Boyang at media day, and also - well, I can see media not being that interested in Jason, for example, but what about Evgenia? She’s probably not quite as much of a rock star as Yuzuru, but I expect a lot of international media will be interested her plans. I wonder if they’ll do a media day for her, too - but I guess we’ll see. :)

Tavi, I think the term "media day" is probably a misnomer for that particular day at TCC. It should really be called Yuzuru Hanyu Media Day because, to the best of my knowledge, it's his big reveal day with the media. There are other skaters who are practicing with him as he skates for the cameras but the focus is on him and that's who the media are there to see. He doesn't do social media himself and keeps a very low public profile and that, coupled with his rock star status, makes him a highly sought out public figure.

As for Evgenia, I think you may be overestimating media interest in her. I think Gracie Gold would actually generate more media interest right now than Med would.

Haleth

On the Ice

I suspect people were thinking we’d see Boyang because usually multiple skaters are practicing during media days and caught on video and photos. For example I recall seeing Javi and Stephen more than once in the past. If you search you can usually find this evidence floating around on PH, Tumblr, and Twitter. So even though the press may be there primarily for Yuzuru, at least some of the other skaters seem to have no problem being filmed and photographed while all that’s going on.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
@Danibellerika, @Sydney Rose, @Haleth: Thanks to all of you for your explanations/ thoughts, and in particular, the rationale for “Yuzuru Hanyu media day”! :) With Yuzuru’s status in Japan, the intense media interest, and his penchant for privacy / lack of presence on social media, a “media day” dedicated to him makes total sense. I am personally also curious about Evgenia, Jason, and Boyang, so with the lack of solid news from Jason and Boyang, I was really hoping there would be a specific time when we’d hear something. I expect we will hear news of both of them, just not - necessarily - on Yuzuru’s media day.

Speaking of Jason - I think TCC is already starting to work a bit of magic with his jumps. I don’t know if he’s working on quads or even his 3A yet, but in a couple of clips from a benefit he performed in on Friday, he looks to be rotating sooner, and possibly faster, on his Lutz/Flip. That’s great news, as I think the theory is that those things will help with his quads - and I’m quite curious as to who on the team is working with him on jump technique, and who will accompany him to Champs Camp.

I also was so interested to see a clip of Stephen G’s Minto SP - wow! He’s is quite a prodigy, and I’m really looking forward to his JGP debut.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Speaking of Stephen, I've seen his SP from Minto but is there a FS video?

yude

Record Breaker
It would need to be just for him. About 100 or so media outlets show up to report on him so that's already extremely crowded. He will do jumps but keeps it secretive as well. Like, he was doing the 4 lutz on media day but they didn't release that footage or mention anything about it until after he did it at CoR.

Yes, that was surprising for me since J media is always reporting everything about him in a second, but they kept secret for a long time :eeking: (I wonder what Yuzuru and his team told them :laugh:)

About Boyang, he is in Japan for the ice shows so I'm hoping he will get interviewed, even a little.

TGee

Record Breaker
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6qikrv

Stephen's at the 2:45:00 mark. :) I'd say if you have time I'd watch the other TCC guys too including Corey Circelli and Conrad Orzel and adopted TCC kid Joseph Pham (basically the last group, which starts at 2:19:00 or so)
Adding that Stephen's FS is new...Minto was the first outing, and it's not as polished as we'll see.

The SP to Run Boy Run was used last year, but has a few changes as he was competing domestically as a senior.

He seems to be going with one completely new program per year.

Conrad had two new programs, and Joesph has kept one.

By the way, it looks like Corey and his partner cleared the NextGen criteria for ice dance at Minto... will be interesting seeing him in two disciplines on the JPG...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Congrats to Corey and Katerina! :)

I need to watch the junior dance at some point -- lots of new couples, it seems.

TGee

Record Breaker
Congrats to Corey and Katerina! :)

I need to watch the junior dance at some point -- lots of new couples, it seems.
Actually, Corey has just debuted with his new partner Olivia McIssac.

Super to have met the NextGen criteria as a new team in their first national series event.

By the way, there was a huge reshuffling of Junior ice dance teams in Canada this spring. And many of them look like very successful matches.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Actually, Corey has just debuted with his new partner Olivia McIssac.

Super to have met the NextGen criteria as a new team in their first national series event.

By the way, there was a huge reshuffling of Junior ice dance teams in Canada this spring. And many of them look like very successful matches.

Oh yeah, you're right! I had a lapse there.

gizmo

On the Ice

Yuzuru have zero social media .... you can observe that not even Evgenia or Jason include him though they are active, so his almost have zero activity off season except some lucky kids that took photos with him. The Japanese media have ultra ultra high interest on him, they like Evgenia a lot , but hard to compare with Yuzuru. Especially he does not announce his new programmes til that day.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Yuzuru have zero social media .... you can observe that not even Evgenia or Jason include him though they are active, so his almost have zero activity off season except some lucky kids that took photos with him. The Japanese media have ultra ultra high interest on him, they like Evgenia a lot , but hard to compare with Yuzuru. Especially he does not announce his new programmes til that day.

Yes, thank you, that makes sense.

Jason and Evgenia haven’t posted much about training lately, and we don’t know what Challenger event they’re doing, or what Jason’s FS is. So I’m interested in those things.

@Mrs P, thanks for putting up the link to the Minto FS. I actually watched the whole thing! Some of the kids really struggled with the short turn around, but there were lots of good things to watch, too. The content put out by the TCC juniors - especially Stephen - is pretty amazing, and what they’re doing is really admirable - all have good SS and nice spins. Who was with Brian and Joseph Phan - was that Ghislain?

Okay, here are three random thoughts:

-Brian looked really tired.
-I really enjoyed Shingo Nishiyama! It was too bad about the jumps, because his presentation is already so mature - and he has that Shoma kneebend on landings!
-Most random: Conrad Orzel looks a bit like Han Yan, facially. :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Honest question : were jason and zhenya posting that much before? Or are you guys, because there is a thread that was evolving quickly at the beginning, and it was normal since everything was new for them, just having unreasonable expectations about "news" I mean... there is not much to say when you are at work.. and that's what they are doing.. they are training... Was Jason sharing so much when he was with Kori? Maybe it's just me but I feel that this thread will normally wind down simply because the breaking news have happened and soon enough, it will be about competitions and fanfesting... anyways... don't mind me.. i m just not thinking it's abnormal not to hear about skaters...
and regarding Conrad, yes... he is very good looking and both he and Han Yan have nice cheekbones :)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, Jason was active on social media when he was with Kori. I didn’t realize until I saw other skaters’ lack of posting just how active he was.

He went into relative hibernation when trying out different rinks. I think when he landed at TCC, just my opinion, he was making up for lost time, but he’s never been “inactive”.

Jason is Jason and is friends with everyone he meets. Other people, skaters or not, also tend to be featured in his social media. That may not happen with skaters of different personalities. But that trait is now good for those who follow TCC:biggrin:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Jason is extremely active on social media. (However, perhaps due to my Max and Joshua experiences, I was one of the few Jason fans not hitting panic stations when he went "quiet".) So this level of activity isn't at all unusual. Not sure about Evgenia.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Media Day is coming. Yes, it's Yuzu-centric (and god knows, he's making us fret good and hard about his programs till then!) but we all have hopes that, like in other years, the other TCC skaters will have some good bits too (although no Javi... :cry:) and the thread will be useful if so.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
i like seeing the mundane stuff just as much as the "big news." I think this is part of this thread's appeal. I like those slice of life things and some of the quirks of how a place like TCC works.

I've also enjoyed getting to know some of the other TCC skaters int he process.

But of course, I'd also want to hear something about whether Boyang is coming or not, Jason's FS and which Challenger event they're all doing.

I feel like Zhenya's gotten more active since coming to Toronto. It's been fun to see her personality come out. The funny thing about Jason is that he came on to social media relatively late compared to his peers, but turned out to be the most active among them.

Speaking of Yuzuru, I feel like I'm seeing Yuzu-flavored things EVERYWHERE! I just saw an IG sponsored post for a Yuzu-flavored drink. :laugh:

Last edited: