Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club | Page 68 | Golden Skate

Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Conrad has already improved so much this season.

I definitely thought this would be a normal Thursday and all we would discuss was the JGP. Wow was I wrong… my timeline is filled with Yuzuru.

When I saw him at Minto a month ago I was so impressed. I know Brian says it takes a while to see the effects of TCC's methods, but the improvement in Conrad has been pretty immediate. Obviously, lots still to work on, but I think this coaching change is so perfect for him.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
Ahhhh what a great photo. Pity Jason didn't get caught in the frame as he's behind Zu or it really would have been perfect! (I had to double check as the new hair is still throwing me off too!)

They're all killing it with their new looks and Skating Skills :drama:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Looking at all the three million and twenty three (maybe not, but it felt like it!) clips and bits of media day all over the web, it was fun catching glimpses of and putting names to the different regulars and new people at TCC (hi, Jason!) and watching them oh so casually skating round the edges of the rink ("set dressing? us??") and not overtly boggling at everything focused on Yuzuru centre stage...

But did anyone else more than once think "I miss Javi!!!"

Amef

Final Flight
So I guess Yuzu has to take a plane to go to ACI right? I don't know Canadian geography. TCC is too far to drive right? I'm just interested in the little details haha

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So I guess Yuzu has to take a plane to go to ACI right? I don't know Canadian geography. TCC is too far to drive right? I'm just interested in the little details haha

Not for ACI — Oakville is a suburb of Toronto.

TGee

Record Breaker
https://twitter.com/norakuro008/status/1035916419253207040 A little bit of TCC skating session with Tracy and Yuzuru's SP [emoji3] They will show more tomorrow
I don't know if anyone else has commented on this, but I'm seeing a bit of a theme across the TCC men's step sequences for this season.

Yuzu's got a balletic leap and a (not atypical) hydroblade.

Conrad has leaps and slides. I believe Stephen has a mazurka, and definitely Wally jumps. And Jo has more than steps too.

It appears that they are taking heed of the dance guidance to change vertical height even during step sequences.

TGee

Record Breaker
https://twitter.com/norakuro008/status/1035916419253207040 A little bit of TCC skating session with Tracy and Yuzuru's SP [emoji3] They will show more tomorrow
I don't know if anyone else has commented on this, but I'm seeing a bit of a theme across the TCC men's step sequences for this season.

Yuzu's got a balletic leap and a (not atypical) hydroblade.

Conrad has leaps and slides. I believe Stephen has a mazurka, and definitely Wally jumps. And Jo has more than steps too.

It appears that they are all taking heed of the dance guidance to change vertical height even during step sequences.

LoicMR

Rinkside
Hello,

I would like to know if the TCC rink has the « standard » size, I mean 30m x 60m? (I know that the majority of rinks in north america are using the size of 25mx60m for hockey, and european figure skaters have to deal with that!)
Also is it not too dangerous to not have a small wall and some protections arround the rink?
Generally for the Olympics or for some competitions, we have a giant air bag all arround the rink lol
Otherwise the standard wall used for hockey.

Thanks

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Hello,

I would like to know if the TCC rink has the « standard » size, I mean 30m x 60m? (I know that the majority of rinks in north america are using the size of 25mx60m for hockey, and european figure skaters have to deal with that!)
Also is it not too dangerous to not have a small wall and some protections arround the rink?
Generally for the Olympics or for some competitions, we have a giant air bag all arround the rink lol
Otherwise the standard wall used for hockey.

Thanks

The rink is a bit shorter and a bit wider than a hockey rink. Per the attached, the dimensions are 190 feet by 87 feet, which is roughly 58 by 26.5 meters. You would have to ask someone who trains there whether it’s more than usually dangerous without th boards - my guess would be no.

http://www.torontocricketclub.com/skating

TGee

Record Breaker
The rink is a bit shorter and a bit wider than a hockey rink. Per the attached, the dimensions are 190 feet by 87 feet, which is roughly 58 by 26.5 meters. You would have to ask someone who trains there whether it’s more than usually dangerous without th boards - my guess would be no.

One of the advantages of boardless rinks for figure skating is that it allows the installation of mirrors similar to those used in ballet studios.

Depending on the angle of the shot, mirrors can be seen in some TCC photos, I believe

There are quite a few figure skating training centres with boardless rinks for this reason.

I haven't heard of this being a safety issue. Most skaters are trained not to jump or spin within a set distance of the edge of the rink. Falling into or hitting wooden boards can lead to serious injury.

NB Except at the Olympics when the rinks are also being used for short track speed skating, the boards are not cushioned.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
One of the advantages of boardless rinks for figure skating is that it allows the installation of mirrors similar to those used in ballet studios.

Depending on the angle of the shot, mirrors can be seen in some TCC photos, I believe.

Long mirrors along at least one wall, you can see them in all the media day clips

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Yes I’ve seen the mirrors in video clips at TCC - and it totally reminds me of a dance studio. It actually looks like a really nice space to me.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
TSL’s latest broadcast starts off with discussing Zhenya and Jason for about 5 mins. I haven’t listened to the whole thing yet but it looks like they will also be discussing Yuzuru and the JGP - so perhaps Conrad also. They were positive about J and Z but no idea what they will say about others:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-bEEPXFcm_Y

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

From experience, I prefer board less rinks. They prevent injuries related to slamming into the boards, even though we all have a good idea of where we are jumping in order to not run or fall into them.

Either way, myself and others I know, would rather slide onto the floor/mats at the side of the rink than the boards.