Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club | Page 72 | Golden Skate

Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club

Haleth

On the Ice
Joseph and Conrad practicing their SBS 3Lz/3T: https://www.instagram.com/p/BnlxL3Xj0sM/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Conrad posted the same video.

And for now you can see a photo he took of Jason and then a selfie in his current Instastories: https://www.instagram.com/joseph_phan_/

Glad to see Joseph's spirits recovering after a rough competition!

Conrad out at a mall with Jun acc to his Instastory: https://www.instagram.com/stories/conradorzel/

Brussel sprouts deserve to be burned, Jason! (not a brussel sprout fan :dev2: ) https://www.instagram.com/stories/jasonbskates/

TGee

Record Breaker
https://twitter.com/anjaheyheyhey/status/1040015308990361600
Good luck ISU in making Figure Skating more popular :disapp:
I recall an interview with Ted Barton in which he explained his pitch to the ISU for the JGP livestream broadcasts several years back.

In passing he said that he had asked them to look at the JGPs as the only product they had retained the rights to.

So, where did the rights for this go?

If to Skate Canada, why is IFS magazine citing an ISU requirement for a geoblock?

And why are previous year's AIC videos sitting in Skate Canada’s DailyMotion channel?

Not to mention why is Lombardia not an issue?

This seems murkier the more I think about it.

Yoa

On the Ice
I recall an interview with Ted Barton in which he explained his pitch to the ISU for the JGP livestream broadcasts several years back.

In passing he said that he had asked them to look at the JGPs as the only product they had retained the rights to.

So, where did the rights for this go?

If to Skate Canada, why is IFS magazine citing an ISU requirement for a geoblock?

And why are previous year's AIC videos sitting in Skate Canada’s DailyMotion channel?

Not to mention why is Lombardia not an issue?

This seems murkier the more I think about it.

Dedicated fans will find ways to watch. But how many people will decide that it's too much of a hassle? :noshake:

Last year Skate Canada's stream was geo-blocked in Japan because TV asahi broadcasted it a few days after the competition. But it was fine in any other country. Over 30 thousand people were watching men event. When it was blocked it Japan and it was a middle of the night in Europe. This year, interest could be even bigger. With Yuzuru finally competing after such a long break. And it's his first competition as a 2-time Olympic champion. With Evgenia and Jason after their switch to TCC. Like why would they do this? :tantrum:

It reminds me that I once had to buy Eurosportplayer subscription to access ISU's(?) livestream because Eurosport bought broadcast rights to some competition. I have Eurosport 1 and 2 but they didn't broadcast that competition on TV. But then at least I could watch the whole competiton and not only the last group with commercials after each skater. And I didn't have to listen to commentators. So it turned out great. But the livestream was free in countries where nobody bought broadcasting rights.

At least I am happy that Skate Canada decided to hold medal ceremony for men on the ice. I need my TCC podium. They wanted to hold it in a different building... which in case of men event would be very stupid and dangerous. Imagine all those fans trying to quickly move to a different building. I am still sad about other disciplines. I can't understand why they don't hold it on the ice.

TGee

Record Breaker
Dedicated fans will find ways to watch. But how many people will decide that it's too much of a hassle? :noshake:

Last year Skate Canada's stream was geo-blocked in Japan because TV asahi broadcasted it a few days after the competition. But it was fine in any other country. Over 30 thousand people were watching men event. When it was blocked it Japan and it was a middle of the night in Europe. This year, interest could be even bigger. With Yuzuru finally competing after such a long break. And it's his first competition as a 2-time Olympic champion. With Evgenia and Jason after their switch to TCC. Like why would they do this? :tantrum:

It reminds me that I once had to buy Eurosportplayer subscription to access ISU's(?) livestream because Eurosport bought broadcast rights to some competition. I have Eurosport 1 and 2 but they didn't broadcast that competition on TV. But then at least I could watch the whole competiton and not only the last group with commercials after each skater. And I didn't have to listen to commentators. So it turned out great. But the livestream was free in countries where nobody bought broadcasting rights.

At least I am happy that Skate Canada decided to hold medal ceremony for men on the ice. I need my TCC podium. They wanted to hold it in a different building... which in case of men event would be very stupid and dangerous. Imagine all those fans trying to quickly move to a different building. I am still sad about other disciplines. I can't understand why they don't hold it on the ice.
I saw some reports in other social media that the Japanese network has bought rights again.

But unless they plan to broadcast in countries other than Japan, they should not be able to geoblock them.

I see this coming up on a lot of threads...maybe we need a thread on the Edge to discuss ISU's broadcast / streaming rights sales policy. It's more likely to get attention there, and is straying towards OT here...except that TCC will be geoblocked in force by this.

Also noting that we can't see Gabby's US International Classic performance in Canada. While I understand that there is a paywall for the US, that should not impact the rest of the world...

Last: Skate Canada seems to do off ice podiums for most of its events other than the ISU ones. Sounds as though the ISU should have a standard policy for Challenger, JGP and GP events.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
His hair looks shaved like Rohene’s under that hat.

:hopelessness:

But then again, I have no idea why shaving the sides is a thing. And even less so with Jason.

But *you* will be able to verify with your own eyes in a week:hap85:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Wow, the line up for this competition is amazing - I am so thrilled to be going, though a bit bummed I will miss Ted Barton’s commentary - from Team Cricket alone, there will be Jun, Yuzuru, Jason, and Zhenya! As if that’s not enough, Donovan Carillo, Julian Yee, Brendan Kerry, Kevin Reynolds, Bennet Toman, Roman Sadovsky, Wakaba, Bradie, Kailani, James & Cipres, MT & M, Soucisse Firus, WeaPo, and the list goes on.... I will probably miss pairs SP due to my flight, but I really don’t see anything else I’ll be able to skip - so excited!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Wow, the line up for this competition is amazing - I am so thrilled to be going, though a bit bummed I will miss Ted Barton’s commentary - from Team Cricket alone, there will be Jun, Yuzuru, Jason, and Zhenya! As if that’s not enough, Donovan Carillo, Julian Yee, Brendan Kerry, Kevin Reynolds, Bennet Toman, Roman Sadovsky, Wakaba, Bradie, Kailani, James & Cipres, MT & M, Soucisse Firus, WeaPo, and the list goes on.... I will probably miss pairs SP due to my flight, but I really don’t see anything else I’ll be able to skip - so excited!

Well you can, you know, actually, talk to Ted! :) Excited for you and look forward to your reports!

So in other cute Team Cricket moments -- I read the English translation of the Russian translation of the snippet German magazine (Pirouette) article about Zhenya and apparently not only did Jason pick her and her mother from the airport when they arrived back in July he also installed the Internet and cable at their new apartment for them and gave her the newbie tour (as someone who was less new :laugh:) of the city. I find it amusing she went into this much detail.

ETA: Here's a link to order the magazine that features that interview (and I guess there's a bit about Jason in there too?)
http://pirouette-online.de/nr-7-september-2018.html

Last edited: