Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club | Page 75 | Golden Skate

Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club

Yoa

On the Ice
Who knew that spins would effect team TCC today? Yuzu and Zhenya both :rofl:

I think someone at TCC needs to read new rules more precisely...:hpull:
https://twitter.com/chiburahakkai/status/1043328531084668928?s=21
The change of foot in any spin must be preceded and followed by a spin position with at least three (3) revolutions. If this requirement is not fulfilled the spin will be marked with a “V” in Free Skating “No Value” in Short Program
I hope they will correct it quickly

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I can see them getting extra spinning lessons as soon as they step on TCC ice 😅

Even Jason got one of those bratty "V" calls in the FS (though all his other spins were great as always). Spin lessons for Team TCC!

Yoa

On the Ice
Congratulation to Evgenia, Jason, Yuzuru and Junhwan :clapper: It was their first competitions and I think they did well.
They all had a long break from competition. None of the competed since January/February. Evgenia and Yuzuru had serious injuries. Evgenia and Jason changed coaches and moved to foreign country. That's the first pancake behind them.

Yuzuru, Evgenia and Jason (in FS) were really nervous. Only JunHwan seemed calm in both programs. Now they know what they should focus on: Jun - underrotations, Yuzuru - stamina, Evgenia and Jason - adding a little bit more transitions to FS. And spins...

There were a lot of cute and interesting TCC moments.
-Evgenia came to watch men's free skate together with Wakaba
-Jason and Jun need to learn this gesture
-Jun is doing Yuzu-bow to Tracy: link. According to some tweets Jason also did this bow together with Jun after practice.
-Yuzuru chearing for Jun
-Yuzuru chanting "한번더" (one more time in Korean) to Jun before medal ceremony
-Yuzuru became Canadian :laugh2:
-some men podium photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. And some fancam
-Brian was doing his board-jumps along with every TCC skater
-Ghislain, Yuzuru and Pooh: link
-Jason's instastory with Jun
-today Yuzu didn't fell on quad salchow... he fell on quad javi :laugh: the same entry :love: I miss Javi...
-Ghislain

Something not ACI related but :eek:
-Ghislain mentions 4A
-PJ Kwong and Shae-Lynn saw Yuzu jumping it

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Beverly Smith has an excellent article on Jun-Hwan Cha on her website: https://bevsmithwrites.com/jun-hwan-cha-comes-of-age/

And there's this, i.e. New bromance alert! :

“I think the dynamics in the rink is really good and he is fond of Jason [Brown, who just joined the club last summer.] “

When Cha finished skating, he ran off the ice and into Brown’s arms. Later, while Cha was being interviewed, Brown came up from behind him and gave him a bear hug. Cha knew who it was. (Cha defeated Brown, who was fifth in the free and fourth overall.)

I noticed in the practice video when they were in the same group, they high-fived each other at the end of the practice. And Jason made a point of congratulating Jun-Hwan on IG too.

I'm awaiting the full-version of this dance video (Jun-Hwan's pants are AMAZING.) https://www.instagram.com/p/Bmhb7dxhCVF/?taken-by=jasonbskates

Last edited:

Yoa

On the Ice
So I have found this old interview with Brian where he talks about getting to know Yuzuru and figuring out how to work with him at competitions. And learning how manage both Yuzuru and Javier. I think the same things now apply to Evgenia and Jason :) At ACI TCC team probably also wanted to figure out how to manage Jason, Jun and Yuzu at one competition.

Icenetwork.com: Beyond taking home gold, what did you learn about Hanyu at Finlandia?
Orser: The mission was to get an idea of how we work best together. It's hard to do in just one event, but we did. We tried to find a rhythm that works for us -- for me to get to know him, and for him to get to know me, to kind of read each other. I was very confident he would go there and do well, but the main thing was just to go and see how he turns things around in the six-minute warm-up. He had a great six-minute warm-up for the short, and he didn't skate well. He had a lousy six-minute warm-up for the long, and he skated lights out.

Icenetwork.com: Talk about his relationship with Javier, because those two fight each other for medals.
Orser: This past season, they were head to head. And that was another reason for Finlandia, to have both of them there and figure out that dynamic. How do they manage the warm-up, how do they manage the practice session, how do they manage the waiting? Javi skated second and Yuzu skated last, so I kind of had to balance that and make it clear to them that we're all on the same page and [establish] an even balance of respect.
They get along famously; if Javi falls down on the ice in practice, Yuzu will help him up. It's really heartfelt. But when they get to a competition, they both want to skate their best. They both have great programs, but they're completely different. They are two different athletes; they don't train the same

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

It is so utterly wonderful that for all Brian's great achievements as skater, Olympian and coach... there are quite possible more pics of him on the web as plushyPooh-wrangler than anything else :laugh2:

Oh, and I saw and loved this on the same twitter account... so true :biggrin:
https://twitter.com/anjaheyheyhey/status/1045921821730766848

Yoa

On the Ice
Very interesting interview with Tracy about Yuzuru and 2 lovely photos of the two of them: https://wherespacepooh.tumblr.com/post/178608563159/tracy-wilson-interview-yh-2018-19-media-day
It's basically English > Japanese > English translation

There is no athlete with ability and talent like his, that respects the aspect of technique to such an extent. Nor anyone who faces the responsibilities placed upon him with such earnestness. That’s probably why he can be at ease now. But, as for how long that’s going to continue, I don’t know. Because Yuzuru is Yuzuru. Although he’s saying “I’m released from pressure” right now, after a few months, he might just go back to how he was. He is someone who constantly aims upward.
Tracy knows Yuzuru so well. It didn't even take a few months. Just one competition :laugh2:

— Hanyu’s aim being to jump the Quad Axel, how do you feel about his current condition?
He’s training it. What’s interesting about being Yuzuru’s coach is that things that you thought, “Is that even possible?”, sometimes, it suddenly becomes possible.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
In Conrad's latest Instagram live, he was joking that because he and Jun both have R&J long programs, Jun is Romeo and Conrad is Juliet. And he said that the "JULIET!!!" in Jun's FS refers to him :laugh: And they're joking about doing an R&J Ex together, except Juliet would be taller than Romeo.

s_parks

Record Breaker
In Conrad's latest Instagram live, he was joking that because he and Jun both have R&J long programs, Jun is Romeo and Conrad is Juliet. And he said that the "JULIET!!!" in Jun's FS refers to him :laugh: And they're joking about doing an R&J Ex together, except Juliet would be taller than Romeo.

Okay, this ex number needs to happen.