Advice for those skaters moving to Canada | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Advice for those skaters moving to Canada

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:eek::

But I did find out that Wawa, Pennsylvania, was formerly called Grubb's Bridge.

Sorry to say, Wawa the Pennsylvania town is a figment of some corporate imagination. As a fifth generation Philadelphian, no one I know could locate it, as opposed to the Wawa, with hoagies, Tastykakes and cheesesteaks (actually I think Wawa just does hoagies, but they do great hoagies for a corporate chain). None of which Zhenya will eat in Toronto ;)

We always were told Wawa stores were named after an Indian (as was termed then) word for goose, although what the Ojibwe had to do with Pennsylvania is exceedingly unclear:scratch2:

And Wawa did have a dairy. With bottled milk, thank you very much, none of that bagged milk nonsense:biggrin:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I have memories of my dad taking me to Wawa after piano lessons. Good times.

50 Words for Snow

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Mama is ART! [emoji2]

And a symbol of maternal devotion. (She is carrying her eggs around with her.)

And good Russian (and other Slavic) children know from folktales that the spiders are the industrious good creatures.

I'm sure Zhenya will appreciate our national capital's giant statue.

At least it's not a moth or a butterfly; she has a phobia for those.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
so jason didn't bring the bagged milk nor the dill? what kind of welcome is that? :drama:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
ok i hope this thread doesn't go from bagged milk to dill to buckwheat to shipping jason and zhenya.... i know there is a heat wave but... yeah...

:sarcasm:

moriel

Record Breaker
What does milk related talk mean?

Despite bagged milk being available in many countries including russia, some canadians are convinced it is unique to canada, so kind of special canadian product.
So we are waiting for Zhenya to try it and post pictures.

Amef

Final Flight
As in powder milk? I tried powder milk and it tastes just like skim milk, or low fat milk

synteis

Medalist
As in powder milk? I tried powder milk and it tastes just like skim milk, or low fat milk
No it's normal milk. It's just packaged in plastic bags instead of in cartons or jugs. If you look up "bagged milk Canada" on google, you will find photos with ease.

1critic

On the Ice
UPDATE: Medvedeva is in Toronto

No it's normal milk. It's just packaged in plastic bags instead of in cartons or jugs. If you look up "bagged milk Canada" on google, you will find photos with ease.
*adds* ...or just take the time to backread through the thread. Not that hard.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Jason posted an IG story where he and Zhenya are on a bench in a TCC hallway. Zhenya is waving around scissors, but I didn’t have the sound turned up to find out why.

Jason already cut his hair, so maybe she is preparing for bagged milk :laugh:

i have never used scissors to cut bagged milk... i used a serrated knife.. :confused:

my brother would gross me out : he would open them with his teeth... and have a few sips directly from the bag.... ugh... we needed to have two pitchers as... one for him and one for civil people

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
i have never used scissors to cut bagged milk... i used a serrated knife.. :confused:

my brother would gross me out : he would open them with his teeth... and have a few sips directly from the bag.... ugh... we needed to have two pitchers as... one for him and one for civil people

Serrated knife?! Teeth??? You and your bro need the right tool, the snippit (thanks ancientpeas for the informative video :))

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Serrated knife?! Teeth??? You and your bro need the right tool, the snippit (thanks ancientpeas for the informative video :))

gosh ... technology has improved life of many... in my days, teeth were useful

- - - Updated - - -

I thought Zhenya was reinacting Sweeney Todd with Jason lol. Or trying to cut his hair further. :laugh:

i wouldn't be surprised if she cut his hair....

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Do you'll have like 2 cup size bagged milk up there? I very rarely use milk to the point that i try to do most cooking with canned/powdered. I just find it goes bad before i get a drunken urge to cook/bake something with milk so i stopped trying to stock it - too much waste. I would love to have some small cheap last long bags to toss in the fridge for sudden urges.

TGee

Record Breaker

Scissors only for me. Any attempt with a knife ends up with a bag of milk spraying hither and yon.

So we have a large collection of dishwasher safe kitchen scissors to open milk bags.

But El Henry knows her stuff. Zhenya definitely is one of the skaters who rely on tape to keep her laces from coming down...

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-e...am-event-ladies-single-skating-174358889.html

TGee

Record Breaker
Do you'll have like 2 cup size bagged milk up there? I very rarely use milk to the point that i try to do most cooking with canned/powdered. I just find it goes bad before i get a drunken urge to cook/bake something with milk so i stopped trying to stock it - too much waste. I would love to have some small cheap last long bags to toss in the fridge for sudden urges.
Canada has its eccentricity on milk...

(Amazing that there are any bagged milk questions yet unanswered... [emoji39])

We may not be the only country with bagged milk, but we have found a "Canadian compromise" that defies logic but works.

3 bags of fresh 1 and 1/3 litres each bundled and sold as 4 litres...a bit shy of the old Imperial gallon that we had before Canada went metric 50 years ago...

Smaller amounts of fresh milk are still sold in waxed cardboard cartons ranging from 250 ml to 2 litres.

Long life UHT milk is sold in 1 litre tetrapaks and 200 ml lunch size drinking boxes. I'm still astonished that our kids will drink this...

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Sigh...

Another way for me to spray milk over the kitchen and/or cut a finger.

Dishwasher safe scissors for me...

Unless you have extremely tiny fingers (like smaller than a baby's), there's no way to cut your finger with a snippit. My roomba (yes, I've joined the 21st century) has a roomba-cleaning tool that is similar to a snippit. There's no way you could get your finger near its blade.

But I do approve of scissors for opening bagged milk and feel that knives are a recipe for disaster.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Alternately, you could do the civilised thing and have milk in recyclable plastic bottles. ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Alternately, you could do the civilised thing and have milk in recyclable plastic bottles. ;)

plastic is plastic... both the bags and the bottles even if they are recyclable are not good for the environment.