Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club | Page 17 | Golden Skate

Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
In Ottawa right now it's 34°C, but feels like 41 (that would be the heat index). According to my weather app it's cooler than that in Toronto by now, but I don't know how accurate that is. It's affecting Canada Day celebrations of the Hill here.

TGee

Record Breaker
In Ottawa right now it's 34°C, but feels like 41 (that would be the heat index). According to my weather app it's cooler than that in Toronto by now, but I don't know how accurate that is. It's affecting Canada Day celebrations of the Hill here.
Uhm...

Guess our GS friends need The Weather Network's Toronto page to follow:

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/weather/ontario/toronto

Looks like 'the lake effect'' has kicked in for Toronto and is moderating things.... ( the lake effect also makes winter relatively less extreme..)

Perhaps Jason and Zhenya will be able to head to the lakeshore for the fireworks this evening...

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalnews.ca/news/4301821/watch-fireworks-canada-day-toronto/amp/

And for those of us in Ottawa, Canada Day on Parliament Hill is a pass....even attempting the Canada events at the air conditioned national museums didn't seem worth risking a sun fried car for the trip home.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
So to change the subject just a bit, has anyone heard a whisper about when Boyang will arrive at TCC? He’s not competing until November 2-4 (Finland) so he has some time, but when you’re changing coaches, I’d think more time than less would be helpful.....

The thing is, he was supposed to be there already or at least Brian mentioned mid-June so that was around the time Jason and Zhenya showed up but he was spotted in Harbin. There's a theory that he chose to stay there until The Ice (click), he's scheduled to attend that in Japan but I have no idea how anyone thinks that is a good idea, as the dates for that are end of July/beginning of August. He's still in Harbin though, that's for sure.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is anyone worried that the Chinese Fed could use Boyang to make a “statement”, as they supposedly did with Cup of FinlandNotChina?

That would be so sad :sad21:

TGee

Record Breaker
The thing is, he was supposed to be there or at least Brian mentioned mid-June so that was around the time Jason and Zhenya showed up but he was spotted in Harbin. There's a theory that he chose to stay there until The Ice (click), he's scheduled to attend that in Japan but I have no idea how anyone thinks that is a good idea, as the dates for that are end of July/beginning of August. He's still in Harbin though, that's for sure.
Thanks ...

Does he still have people he works with in his home club in Harbin....?

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Is anyone worried that the Chinese Fed could use Boyang to make a “statement”, as they supposedly did with Cup of FinlandNotChina?

Oh! I certainly hope not, that truly would be really sad.
I'm hoping pure interest would dissuade them from anything like that. They do want good results in Beijing so hopefully they won't resort to that.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
If they are, then they're being dumb. But then again, this is the same fed that decided that Han Yan wasn't worth their time (despite the fact there is NO ONE ELSE other than Boyang).

ETA: I'm typing this as I'm watching Han Yan at 4CC FS. Yeah, he didn't do so well, but I mean come on, who else has the quality of skating he has? What do I know... :roll eye:

Last edited:

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Thanks ...

Does he still have people he works with in his home club in Harbin....?

Yes, his old coaches. I'm sure he's not idle and he's working with them but August to start with a new coach, if that indeed is the date, seems awfully late.

icybear

Medalist

And who would the "statement" be to? Only person not benefiting from the delayed start in training is Boyang. So the "statement" is to Boyang?? Lmao

TGee

Record Breaker
Yes, his old coaches. I'm sure he's not idle and he's working with them but August to start with a new coach, if that indeed is the date, seems awfully late.
Well, from my experience on the Russian side of the border, it's a nice time of year to be in Manchuria.

I can totally understand Bryant's wanting to spend some time there with home town friends, family and coaches before he makes the big change to Toronto.

elizabethj37

On the Ice
If they are, then they're being dumb. But then again, this is the same fed that decided that Han Yan wasn't worth their time (despite the fact there is NO ONE ELSE other than Boyang).

ETA: I'm typing this as I'm watching Han Yan at 4CC FS. Yeah, he didn't do so well, but I mean come on, who else has the quality of skating he has? What do I know... :roll eye:

Don’t mention Han Yan cause I just get sad about everything that happened :( I just hope he gets there soon. It’s so dumb to not have him in Toronto yet. I know he is training but still.

Huh? What kind of statement?

The statement would be, "We lost face because the ISU disciplined some Chinese judges, so we are not going to host Cup of China and we are not going to send Jin to his training site in Canada, so there!"

(I'm not saying that the Chinese Federation has any such ideas, but people do get their noses out of joint and do foolish things believing that they are "saving face" by being recalcitrant.)

saturdaysun

On the Ice
The statement would be, "We lost face because the ISU disciplined some Chinese judges, so we are not going to host Cup of China and we are not going to send Jin to his training site in Canada, so there!"

(I'm not saying that the Chinese Federation has any such ideas, but people do get their noses out of joint and do foolish things believing that they are "saving face" by being recalcitrant.)

Uhhh yeah, that makes no sense. I think people are projecting their paranoia. Chinese ice dance teams are already in Montreal and they just announced two skaters with Raf.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Well, it could simply be a visa issue - sometimes government bodies work slowly.

Whatever the reason for the delay, I hope it doesn’t negatively impact his training.

TGee

Record Breaker
Uhhh yeah, that makes no sense. I think people are projecting their paranoia. Chinese ice dance teams are already in Montreal and they just announced two skaters with Raf.
If Boyang is looking forward to a 4 year commitment to training in Canada with 2022 in view, a transition month back home in Harbin sounds healthy.

And July is a great month to visit Harbin.

I don't think we need a further explanation...

synteis

Medalist
Per her instastory, looks like Zhenya's gotten to enjoy the fireworks! And Jason seems to be having fun celebrating Canada Day on the island, true Toronto style! Though like kudos to the gang partying on the island because it was so toasty today that my friends and I cancelled our usual island hangout.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Per her instastory, looks like Zhenya's gotten to enjoy the fireworks! And Jason seems to be having fun celebrating Canada Day on the island, true Toronto style! Though like kudos to the gang partying on the island because it was so toasty today that my friends and I cancelled our usual island hangout.

He just posted another photo on the IG story doing SUP! That looks SO fun with the CN tower in the background and the sunset. Now I want to do SUP...

Last edited:

Tally

Rinkside
I managed to catch Zhenya's IG live-stream today, and she and Jason were too cute. I can't get over how constantly sweet and polite Jason is, in every situation! Zhenya's lucky to have such a great friend in him - and vice-versa! Being the new kids on the block (er, in the rink) would be daunting for anyone regardless of past success or status. Going through the transition together has got to be of a tremendous help. I can't get enough of this new dynamic duo! :luv17: