Daisuke Murakami Announces Retirement | Golden Skate

Daisuke Murakami Announces Retirement

Interspectator

Record Breaker
https://twitter.com/DaisukeMurakami/status/1007186090644549633
Daisuke Murakami wanted to give this retirement announcement in person without any secondary media between him and his fans.

Thank you so much for representing Japan, and we look forward to what ever it is you want to do from now on! Good Luck Dice! :ghug:
I will do a simple translation of his video, but as always if anyone sees an error, please comment and I will fix it. Also, Dice will probably post an announcement in English as well soon, as English is his first language.

"Today I have an announcement for everyone. In today's video there's something I want to say in my own words. I had been struggling mentally and in my heart, and when everyone asked 'where are you?' I am in Toronto, Canada. I'm at the home of my host family that puts me up every year when I come to get Choreography. I wasn't sure if I should film this video, but in the end I decided to do it so I could share it with everyone. As a representative of Japan, and a currently competing athlete, when lots of media ( I think he means the press) comes in between, things get muddled, so I wanted to say this myself.

The announcement, what I wanted to tell everyone...is that I have decided to retire.

This has been a very difficult decision, but as a 27 year old, when (I?) ask myself if I can go on for another 4 years, I think it is difficult to go on for another 4 years. In Japan and around the World, there are many young athletes coming up, and as a veteran, 27 years old, I don't think I can keep competing. So I have decided to stop skating.

I started skating at 10 years old, and it's been 17 years. There have been some bad experiences, but also many good ones. When I switched from representing the US to representing Japan, I feel my skating life began. Everyone's support, Japan Skating Federation, IMG, Frank Caroll, Lorrie Nichol, my parents, I've recieved so much support from those surrounding me, and it's because of everyone that I've been able to skate till now. Thank you all from my heart for all your support. I wanted to make this video so that I could share these feelings from my heart. I think this sudden announcement may surprise you, but though my skating life ends here, I will cheer for those athletes who are competing this year. Let's all cheer for them together.

When asked about what I want to do from now, there are various projects, and things ahead, I want to give back to the skating community and lend a hand. I still love skating, and will cheer for our athletes over the TV. I don't know what it will be for me, coaching, or choreography, but the feeling of wanting to share my feelings with you through this video was strong. So I gathered my courage and uploaded this video.
My mother has supported my skating life so much. She's done so much to make my dreams come true. Though I wasn't able to make it to the biggest stage, I'm so thankful to her. These past 17 years there have been some very tough times, but I want to be positive and move towards the future. I will never forget these skating memories.

Team Japan, I'll continue to cheer for you. Please stay healthy. I've been living in America, and training in America for a long time, and I haven't had an opportunity to be in Japan, whenever I've been able to come back to Japan, you've been such a help to me. Thank you so much.
Thank you for your support these 17 years."

Last edited:

charmblade

Final Flight
It's not entirely surprising but :cry:

Daisuke was such a delight to watch and I've really missed him as he has been recovering from injury the past couple of seasons. Good luck to him for whatever his future holds!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I had the pleasure of watching Dice skate at the Philly International comp last year, I didn’t know anything about him and he completely won me over; he was a lovely skater.:agree:

Funny story: Dice and Frank Carroll (along with Jonathan Cassar and Scott Dyer, what a combo :) ) sat directly behind me at this comp during the men’s SP. Dice had skated the club comp because the Japanese fed wouldn’t authorize the International comp. After each men’s score in the International comp, Frank would lean across the row (he and Dice were at opposite ends of the group) and say “If you had skated this comp, you’d be leading”. It was so sweet. I also quickly deduced that Dice must have been born/grew up in the states, his English is indeed fluent.

All the best to Dice in his future, and thanks for the memories:hap10:

Spinning

On the Ice
I had the pleasure of watching Dice skate at the Philly International comp last year, I didn’t know anything about him and he completely won me over; he was a lovely skater.:agree:

Funny story: Dice and Frank Carroll (along with Jonathan Cassar and Scott Dyer, what a combo :) ) sat directly behind me at this comp during the men’s SP. Dice had skated the club comp because the Japanese fed wouldn’t authorize the International comp. After each men’s score in the International comp, Frank would lean across the row (he and Dice were at opposite ends of the group) and say “If you had skated this comp, you’d be leading”. It was so sweet. I also quickly deduced that Dice must have been born/grew up in the states, his English is indeed fluent.

All the best to Dice in his future, and thanks for the memories:hap10:

His family won a US visa lottery when he was 7 I think.

I saw him at the NHK in which he won that year(2014). Sad to see him leave the competition scenes but good luck and wish him all the best!

Sabrina

Record Breaker
When I discovered Daisuke, I loved him and I even thought he might have a hint of old Daisuke, the same softness in skating. I am so sorry he decided to retire. I know competition in Japan is fierce in men and women, and injuries add to the drama. I still think of Voronov or Menshov, who were so good in their 30s. But, in a way they did not have guys like Yuzuru or Shoma to compete with nationally. I wish Daisuke all the best and good luck in whatever he does.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
All the best to Dice in his future endeavors. Thanks for the translation!

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Good luck to Daisuke in his future career, and too bad we've seen little of him in his last season due to unfortunate health problems! With not such heavy competition among Team Japan men right now, I thought he'd appear at NHK this upcoming season for sure, and make up for last year; now we'll never know. Anyhow, good luck! And thanks for the translation, Interspectator, I learned things I didn't know before, such as that he's a native speaker of English. O_O

Does anyone have an idea if Daisuke's retirement affects the funding standings? I'd be superhappy if it meant that the first below the line in B, who happens to be a favorite of mine, moves into A to take Daisuke's place. I have no idea how these things work...

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Well, since his coach is retiring (he is isn´t he?), I guess is difficult to do a change of coach, a translation of the message I read say he thought that with younger competitive skaters coming it would be difficult to remain competitive 4 years more, so he decided on retiring.

Best wishes to him...

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Such a shame :( I guess there is a change of generation in Japan...

Haleth

On the Ice
All the best to him! It clearly was a sad decision. I hope he enjoys this gorgeous day in Toronto to soak up the sun and the support of the people around him.

I hope he then finds new joys in his life. He may discover them in choreography or coaching or something else. He has so much talent!

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
Thank you to Dice for sharing his beautiful skating! I'll always appreciate the heart he put into his programs. Wishing him a successful and happy future!

Good luck to Daisuke in his future career, and too bad we've seen little of him in his last season due to unfortunate health problems! With not such heavy competition among Team Japan men right now, I thought he'd appear at NHK this upcoming season for sure, and make up for last year; now we'll never know. Anyhow, good luck! And thanks for the translation, Interspectator, I learned things I didn't know before, such as that he's a native speaker of English. O_O

Does anyone have an idea if Daisuke's retirement affects the funding standings? I'd be superhappy if it meant that the first below the line in B, who happens to be a favorite of mine, moves into A to take Daisuke's place. I have no idea how these things work...

Judging from what I've seen happen in the past, Dice's retirement in itself will likely have no affect on the level of funding granted by JSF for the upcoming season. There could however, be updates to the original list after test skates and JGP/GP assignments are decided. I'd assume the skater you mention could possibly be moved up to "A" providing he tests well enough and continues to demonstrate the determination to progress that he's shown over the past season. :)