Japan Open Competitors Announced | Golden Skate

Japan Open Competitors Announced

IceBallerina

On the Ice
The organizers of the Japan Open 2018 has announced the first participants of the tournament, which will take place on October 6. Via https://www.sports.ru/figure-skating/1064139943.html

The Japan Open competition consists of three teams - Europe, North America, and Japan. Skaters will only preform their free program, and individual scores will be added up for a final team total. Organizers have released a few names of those participating, the rest will be announced at a later date.

TEAM EUROPE: Alina Zagitova, Javier Fernández, Deniss Vasiljevs
TEAM NORTH AMERICA: Nathan Chen, Bradie Tennell, Gabby Daleman
TEAM JAPAN: Satoko Miyahara, Kaori Sakamoto

Thoughts? I am not sure if it wasn't true, but I heard Javi wasn't planning on competing in the 2018 Japan Open. Change of heart? :)

mrrice

Record Breaker
Oh......This is gonna be good!!!! The top 2 teams are amazing and I imagine that team Japan will be just as strong. May the best team win!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Oh......This is gonna be good!!!! The top 2 teams are amazing and I imagine that team Japan will be just as strong. May the best team win!

would like patrick and kaetlyn or gabby to complete north america

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
would like patrick and kaetlyn or gabby to complete north america

I doubt we'll see Patrick or Kaetlyn there (I'd be surprised) since it lines up the same time as the Thank You Canada tour.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I doubt we'll see Patrick or Kaetlyn there (I'd be surprised) since it lines up the same time as the Thank You Canada tour.

that solves it then... i thought we had one more chance to see Patrick compete.... at last hallelujah at Japan Open... but i guess we can say goodbye to that...

gabby perhaps?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
that solves it then... i thought we had one more chance to see Patrick compete.... at last hallelujah at Japan Open... but i guess we can say goodbye to that...

gabby perhaps?

Maybe. :)

Haleth

On the Ice
Hmm Keegan, Jason, or Vincent maybe for NA?

Shoma usually does JO so I suspect a repeat. Would the second man be Keiji? Kazuki? Since Yuzuru hasn't done it before I'm guessing he'll stay out this year as well.

And who will complete the men for Europe? Aliev? Kolyada? Deniss?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

gabby perhaps?

After Kaetlyn, Bradie was the highest-scoring North American lady at both Olympics and Worlds. Since Kaetlyn wasn't available, that's why Bradie got the nod for the JO.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Kaetlyn and Patrick are doing a show in Kelowna on October 6. Japan can't have them. No way.

omg.. i am so sorry Nana :) ok.. i will side with you and my friends from Kelowna... i visited kelowna and the okanagan a while back... what a beautiful place .. i'd love going to that show and have some wine with patrick ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
After Kaetlyn, Bradie was the highest-scoring North American lady at both Olympics and Worlds. Since Kaetlyn wasn't available, that's why Bradie got the nod for the JO.

you certainly know, with all your years of experience that Japan Open invites whomever they want :) including pro/semi-retired skaters... it has nothing to do with world rankings or scores...

I have been dreaming about patrick competing one last time because he has kept his LP for the SOI tour... but of course, with the new tour, it makes sense that he and Kaetlyn won't be at JO... if i were an event organizer, I would have the common sense to invite Gabby who is extremely marketable with a bronze medal earned at 2017 worlds as well as team gold in PC... something Bradie may achieve at one point, or may not.

We don't know who has been approached or not yet... maybe Gabby already said no... maybe they asked Mirai or Ashley... maybe they haven't... in any case, last year was a let down for Canadian fans as our skaters rightfully decided to focus on their challenger series event/gp events and declined to go... so we are simply hoping that North America includes at least one Canadian skater this time around...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Hardly North American - it is American lol Why couldn't they get at least one Canadian.

we will see... last year, Canadians declined because it was the Olympic season...in 2016, i am not sure why it was USA only.. .same in 2008... It has never been Canadian skaters only, but a few times, there were 3 from Canada and 1 from the US. Joannie and Jeffrey have gone many times... so has Patrick... but Kaetlyn and Gabby have never been able to go... (we suspect that they have been invited last year)

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Japan Open is a "cheesefest" competition where the invitations are sponsor driven. I remember this discussion from last year when neither of the Canadian ladies were invited, and while it is possible that neither wished to attend, the most logical explanation I read was that neither were signed with the agency that sponsors the Japan Open. I don't know if that has changed for Gabby, but my impression is that it would need to in order for her to be a likely invite. Ashley was invited previously and after changing sponsors, she was not invited last season.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
^^ funny, we never knew if they were invited or not... we suspect they were but Kaetlyn was focusing on the Olympics and Japan open doesn't have the SP.. which at that point in time, was new for her.... (she went back to Piaf in the fall).... and Gabby had surgery... Patrick was clear he preferred doing a challenger.... but then we all know what happened...

And yes, there has been a sponsor talk as well... in brief we just don't know who is invited or not and who declines... a lot of suppositions

Tulipstar

Medalist
The perfect competition for Javier to still be active, but also enjoy himself at the same time.

rnois13

On the Ice
I think it's been reported that this is where Tatsuki Machida will have his final skate as a professional to focus on his studies. Shoma and Rika Kihira are most likely to be invited.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
So wait, I'm actually really confused about Javi... is he retiring? Is he just doing JO and Euros? :unsure:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
So wait, I'm actually really confused about Javi... is he retiring? Is he just doing JO and Euros? :unsure:

japan open often invites retired skaters.. Joannie Rochette and Jeffrey Buttle, Jeremy Abbott as well often did it, without being active competitors on the circuit... so it means nothing about Javi's future if he is doing it or not. ;)