Hogwarts Tournament of FS | Golden Skate

Hogwarts Tournament of FS

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
In the end, I could not resist creating a Harry Potter themed tournament for next season. I noticed with the ‘Houses’ thread that many of us on here like some geekiness, but that dividing skaters according to the biggest training centers left many favorites out and obviously favored some ‘houses’ rather than others. So, I thought – why not divide skaters according to their personality and style, rather than based on where they train? I present you the Hogwarts Tournament of the Figure Skating world!

How does it work? First of all, the skaters need to be divided between the four houses: Gryffindor, Slytherin, Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw.

HOW SORTING WORKS

- Open this form
- You can sort as many skaters as you like, click 'none' if you don't want to sort someone
- Each skater will be assigned to the house that has the most votes
- Sorting will end before the first competition of the season
- The results can be found HERE
- If you are unsure about the characteristics of each house, please check these: link 1, link 2, link 3
- Voting for Head of House are also open HERE with results over HERE

NB. WE CHANGED THE SPREADSHEET TO A FORM! If you had already voted, you can vote again! Sorry for the inconvenience

HOW POINTS ARE AWARDED

Once all the skaters have been sorted, it’s time for the competition to start. Each skater will be rewarded with points for their house depending on their wins\placements. I will create a new spreadsheet to keep tracks of the points once all the skaters have been sorted.

NB. the points for juniors are exactly half of those of seniors for GPs and World (i.e. a GP event win is 40 for a senior, 20 for a Junior)

CS events:
GOLD – 20 points
SILVER – 15 points
BRONZE – 10 points
4th PLACE – 5 points

GP events:
GOLD – 40 points
SILVER – 30 points
BRONZE – 20 points
4th PLACE – 10 points

GRAND PRIX FINAL:
GOLD – 100 points
SILVER – 75 points
BRONZE – 50 points
4th PLACE - 25 points

EUROS\4CC:
GOLD – 100 points
SILVER – 75 points
BRONZE – 50 points
4th PLACE – 30 points
5th PLACE – 20 points
6th PLACE – 10 points

WORLDS:
GOLD – 150 points
SILVER – 125 points
BRONZE – 100 points
4th PLACE – 70 points
5th PLACE – 50 points
6th PLACE – 30 points

JUNIOR GP EVENTS:
GOLD – 20 points
SILVER – 15 points
BRONZE – 10 points
4th PLACE – 5 points

JUNIOR GPF:
GOLD – 50 points
SILVER – 35 points
BRONZE – 25 points
4th PLACE - 15 points

JUNIOR WORLDS:
GOLD – 75 points
SILVER – 60 points
BRONZE – 45 points
4th PLACE – 30 points

At the end of the season, the House with the most points wins!

[I apologize in advance if this is the wrong section for this thread and for the probably random maths that I have used here :biggrin: I have not included pairs\dance because I don't see how a couple can have the exact same personality, so for the time being this is open to single skaters :)]

:rofl:

You should consider house combinations.

EDIT: you should probably make it so the edits are anonymous. I can see someone's name, there.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
:rofl:

You should consider house combinations.

EDIT: you should probably make it so the edits are anonymous. I can see someone's name, there.

Woops! I think it might be anonymous for everyone but me :palmf:

EDIT: I have made a new spreadsheet! It's anonymous for everyone but me apparently but I used a mock account so my personal name and email don't show on there! Please open the new spreadsheet, I fixed the link in the original post! Here it is Those of you who had already added Xs to the first sheet please open the new one and add them there!

Ziotic

Medalist
Also skaters from Russia/Japan/USA are given an unfair advantage since you are scoring their nations higher.

I get why, as they are thought to be the most challenging, but it sorta skews the playing field for their houses.

While not al skaters will get GP you can argue that the ones who do get them are based on merit, your nationals has to do with where you were born so there is no way for a skater to earn their right at those nationals if they don’t come from that country.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
Also skaters from Russia/Japan/USA are giving an unfair advantage since you are scoring their nations higher.

I get why, as they are thought to be the most challenging, but it sorta skews the playing field for their houses.

While not al skaters will get GP you can argue that the ones who do get them are based on merit, your nationals has to do with where you were born so there is no way for a skater to earn their right at those nationals if they don’t come from that country.

I have thought about that, but at the same time I don't see how Italian or Spanish nationals can be compared to Japan\Russia\USA, considering the depth of their field. This should not create unfair advantages because I don't expect all the skaters for those countries to be in the same house :)

moriel

Record Breaker
As a side note... You can also ensure that the houses have same number of top skaters, for example.
Dunno, going by the SB list, for example, or WR or whatever, with rules like: top 4 got to be in different houses, next 4 also and so on.
And then make a google forms for people to vote.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
All of you who don't think Yuzu is the embodiment of a Slytherin (AKA extremely ambitious and a born leader) I'm side-eying you :laugh:

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
As a side note... You can also ensure that the houses have same number of top skaters, for example.
Dunno, going by the SB list, for example, or WR or whatever, with rules like: top 4 got to be in different houses, next 4 also and so on.
And then make a google forms for people to vote.

While that would probably create more equilibrium, I'd like this to be 100% personality/style based... more unexpected things can happen this way, and skaters who wouldn't normally be paired can play for the same house

Ziotic

Medalist
I have thought about that, but at the same time I don't see how Italian or Spanish nationals can be compared to Japan\Russia\USA, considering the depth of their field. This should not create unfair advantages because I don't expect all the skaters for those countries to be in the same house :)

I mean it’s your game so as you please, but it’s really not in all categories that those countries are strong.

USA/ Japan really only have two top men so whoever comes third gets 20 pts to Javier 15pts for gold?? (I realize Japan #4 did well at worlds, but that was like their first international showing)

I think the points should be adjust at least slightly. How does Gabby winning and getting 15pts make sense when Bradie, Mirai or Karen will get 50??

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
I mean it’s your game so as you please, but it’s really not in all categories that those countries are strong.

USA/ Japan really only have two top men so whoever comes third gets 20 pts to Javier 15pts for gold?? (I realize Japan #4 did well at worlds, but that was like their first international showing)

I think the points should be adjust at least slightly. How does Gabby winning and getting 15pts make sense when Bradie, Mirai or Karen will get 50??

My reasoning was: Javi competes against himself at nats. Yuzuru competes against Shoma, who is very strong, Keiji and Kazuki who aren't as strong but still much stronger than Spain #2. Gabby competes only against Kaetlyn (who might be out this season), while at US nats you have a bunch of ladies pretty much on the same (quite high) level competing for the podium. I know this isn't perfect, but it was what made the most sense to me :)

ErgoProxy

Rinkside
All of you who don't think Yuzu is the embodiment of a Slytherin (AKA extremely ambitious and a born leader) I'm side-eying you :laugh:

I was torn between Slytherin and Ravenclaw but eventually ended up voting for Ravenclaw because he's also a figure skating intellectual who always strives for innovation in all aspects of his skating even though it doesn't necessarily bring him extra points. But of course at the same time he's very ambitious and goal-oriented so I totally get why people would choose Slytherin for him as well :D

No one can be defined by one "house".

It's why the Hogwarts sorting system is, ultimately, nonsense. Good thing it's fiction.

Ziotic

Medalist
My reasoning was: Javi competes against himself at nats. Yuzuru competes against Shoma, who is very strong, Keiji and Kazuki who aren't as strong but still much stronger than Spain #2. Gabby competes only against Kaetlyn (who might be out this season), while at US nats you have a bunch of ladies pretty much on the same (quite high) level competing for the podium. I know this isn't perfect, but it was what made the most sense to me :)

I guess the big feds win again...

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
I guess the big feds win again...

I mean not really? Because you'll have skaters of all feds, men and women, competing together and against each other here? It really has nothing to do with feds and all, it's just a fun game :biggrin:

synteis

Medalist
What a great idea!

Why is Satoko so overwhelmingly sorted into Ravenclaw? What’s the reasoning?
Ravenclaw is for intellectuals but it is also for artists (not all artists of course but many). Ravenclaw cares about learning and thinking about the world and art is one way that a person does that. I suspect Satoko is put there because she seems like someone who skates because she loves the art that she makes with her blades (of course she wants to win as well but this does not exclude the art factor).

What’s the reasoning?

You're asking for reasoning for a fictional tournament idea borrowed from a fictional setting? That's about as fruitful as all the theories as to why Harry Potter could've simply withdrawn from the tri-wizard tournament, because he was possibly descended from the four Hogwarts founders and Merlin himself, and could likely use all his inherent ancient magic to form a blood bond with someone which would effectively cause any magical contracts to break so that they couldn't harm the mentioned bond.

Ravenclaw is for intellectuals but it is also for artists (not all artists of course but many). Ravenclaw cares about learning and thinking about the world and art is one way that a person does that. I suspect Satoko is put there because she seems like someone who skates because she loves the art that she makes with her blades (of course she wants to win as well but this does not exclude the art factor).

Or this. Harry Potter bashing is more fun, though.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
I feel so sad seeing how much Slytherin is avoided ahahah I guess it's JKR's fault for depicting them all as mean spirited though.

But Slytherin has some of my favorite qualities! Ambition, charisma, cleverness!

As for Satoko, I feel like she seems a very thoughtful and creative person!