For the Female Skaters Only | Page 2 | Golden Skate

For the Female Skaters Only

RoaringMice

On the Ice
If your period is very heavy, the menstrual underwear won't be enough. However, the overnight, ultra thin Always pads absolutely work for me. You can't see them at all under skating tights and a skating dress, and they are extra long, and they do not move. You'd wear underwear with the pad attached, then tights, then the dress. No one will know. These are the ultra thin foam ones: Always Infinity Extra Heavy Overnight Pads with Flex Foam:
https://always.com/en-us/shop-produ...-size-5-extra-heavy-overnight-pads-with-wings

They make no sound.

Mussique

On the Ice
You could try period disposable panties as well —they have a built-in pad that lasts like 12 hours, and they're comfortable. Wearing them under the dress could do the trick.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
As others have mentioned above, you could try a combination of the period underwear (Thinx, PantyProp, others) with a thin pad. Make sure the underwear is nice and snug so that it is right up against your body to keep the pad in place. I believe that the PantyProp brand has pads that you buy that go into the gusset of the panties to keep in there securely. That could be a solution. Otherwise, I also agree with the ultra-thin Always pads (I have not heard of the other brand mentioned but I'm intrigued!)

I feel your (period) pain - I have a similar issue and there were times when adult diapers were calling my name.

I did the trick where you take birth control pills continuously and it was great....until I had to stop due to other health concerns, so I get that it may not be a viable option (and it is a longer term solution anyway).

If you are concerned about any period underwear peeking through, you could try sewing it into the costume (might not be a practical solution if you can't wash your dress though).

I am also curious if any gymnasts out there could share their solutions!

JSM

On the Ice
These are good suggestions. I use a menstrual cup, but I'm currently 7 months pregnant and that obviously won't be an option for a while after I give birth. The idea of doing flying spins with a pad on already freaks me out!! But I have to do something in order to skate during the postpartum days, and will be trying out some of these suggestions. Thankfully I won't be competing any time soon!

sarahspiral

Rinkside
No idea about the pad problem, but the friend reading over my shoulder is insisting that I tell you to make sure that they tested your thyroid function. Her mom had ludicrously heavy periods and excruciating cramps that turned out to be from hypothyroidism.

Thank you to both you and your friend! I don't know if they've checked me for hypothyroidism or not but I will ask my doctor. Thanks again :)

sarahspiral

Rinkside
You could look into a menstrual cup. It may have the same (perfectly valid!) problems as tampons, but I wanted to toss it out there in case it might work... or heck if someone else comes here with the same question.

I would also recommend checking out Precious Stars Pads on youtube.... she is kinda a period guru if you can believe that exists. But anyway you may be able to find some ideas. I know she did a video modeling many types of reusable pads worn in dance leotards for instance. So that could be a starting point.

Yeah, I've thought about trying the menstrual cup. The ones I've seen were pretty pricey, but it might be worth it. I will look at Precious Stars Pads. If a certain type of pad won't show through a leotard, then it ought to be okay under a skating dress! Thank You so much !

sarahspiral

Rinkside
I would totally recommend a menstrual cup! Not just for skating, but honestly just regular life. Since I got mine, I've never looked back. Plus, the savings are quite substantial as a cup is good for several YEARS.

Wow, I didn't know they'd last that long. I will look into that. Thank you so much. :)

sarahspiral

Rinkside
Have you tried a menstrual cup? I think a pad moves too much... If you have a heavy period an accident can occur. There’s also menstrual panties, I’m not sure how/if it works though and they are quite expensive, but it might be worth the investment if it’s going to solve the problem.
As someone mentioned here, there are ultra thin pads that don’t show at all. I don’t know where you’re from but Always has an ultra thin line, maybe you can find it close to you, it is really great. But as I’ve said, since you’ll be moving so much I don’t know how reliable it will be. The greatest option would really be something like a tampon or even better the menstrual cup.

I haven't tried the menstrual cup but since so many people have recommended it here, I'm going to have to look into it! I have worn the Always thin pads and I do like those. As far as it shifting around, one of the contributors reminded me that I'll have tights on, which I totally forgot about so I think that will help it from shifting too much. Thank you.

sarahspiral

Rinkside
If your period is very heavy, the menstrual underwear won't be enough. However, the overnight, ultra thin Always pads absolutely work for me. You can't see them at all under skating tights and a skating dress, and they are extra long, and they do not move. You'd wear underwear with the pad attached, then tights, then the dress. No one will know. These are the ultra thin foam ones: Always Infinity Extra Heavy Overnight Pads with Flex Foam:
https://always.com/en-us/shop-produ...-size-5-extra-heavy-overnight-pads-with-wings

They make no sound.

Great! I like Always pads but sometimes they make noise. I haven't tried the foam ones so I'm glad to know that they make some that don't make any "diapery" sound. Thanks!

sarahspiral

Rinkside
You could try period disposable panties as well —they have a built-in pad that lasts like 12 hours, and they're comfortable. Wearing them under the dress could do the trick.

I've never heard of these either. I'm learning so much from everyone! Thank You.

sarahspiral

Rinkside
As others have mentioned above, you could try a combination of the period underwear (Thinx, PantyProp, others) with a thin pad. Make sure the underwear is nice and snug so that it is right up against your body to keep the pad in place. I believe that the PantyProp brand has pads that you buy that go into the gusset of the panties to keep in there securely. That could be a solution. Otherwise, I also agree with the ultra-thin Always pads (I have not heard of the other brand mentioned but I'm intrigued!)

I feel your (period) pain - I have a similar issue and there were times when adult diapers were calling my name.

I did the trick where you take birth control pills continuously and it was great....until I had to stop due to other health concerns, so I get that it may not be a viable option (and it is a longer term solution anyway).

If you are concerned about any period underwear peeking through, you could try sewing it into the costume (might not be a practical solution if you can't wash your dress though).

I am also curious if any gymnasts out there could share their solutions!

Yes, I think I may try the period panties plus a pad, just in case the period panties aren't enough. I didn't know about the Panty Prop brand having their own pads that go with them. Also never thought about sewing the underwear into the costume, interesting idea! Thank You.

sarahspiral

Rinkside
These are good suggestions. I use a menstrual cup, but I'm currently 7 months pregnant and that obviously won't be an option for a while after I give birth. The idea of doing flying spins with a pad on already freaks me out!! But I have to do something in order to skate during the postpartum days, and will be trying out some of these suggestions. Thankfully I won't be competing any time soon!

I'm glad that these suggestions are helping you out too! Congratulations on your pregnancy! Have a great night.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Now that this has some traction and answers.

I want to toss out that maybe we should rethink the "women only angle" on this. I don't think there is any shame or harm in learning about human biology and such even if you don't share the anatomy. As long as men can come here and be respectful and polite (which I do think the men here can do) there is nothing wrong with them being here, there is nothing wrong with them learning. The OPs question was perfection practical and legitimate and I don't think needed the warnings.

I also want to tack on that some men might have reason to be here and ask similar questions. Basically let's not forget the single dads out there. The USA's own Alyssa Liu is being raised by a single dad and I doubt that she is alone. I kinda feel like single dads should be welcomed with open arms when trying to help their daughters with questions like this.

sarahspiral

Rinkside
Now that this has some traction and answers.

I want to toss out that maybe we should rethink the "women only angle" on this. I don't think there is any shame or harm in learning about human biology and such even if you don't share the anatomy. As long as men can come here and be respectful and polite (which I do think the men here can do) there is nothing wrong with them being here, there is nothing wrong with them learning. The OPs question was perfection practical and legitimate and I don't think needed the warnings.

I also want to tack on that some men might have reason to be here and ask similar questions. Basically let's not forget the single dads out there. The USA's own Alyssa Liu is being raised by a single dad and I doubt that she is alone. I kinda feel like single dads should be welcomed with open arms when trying to help their daughters with questions like this.

Yeah, I totally see your point. The warning was meant to be more for their benefit b/c a lot of the guys I know wouldn't want to read a question like that. So, I didn't want to make any of them feel uncomfortable. I'm sure some guys read it anyway b/c when people warn against doing something, it often makes you curious and you end up doing what they warned you against :) It's human nature! There are some guys that have contributed on this forum to other questions I've had in the past about skating and I appreciate them, so I never want any guys to feel like they are not welcome on this forum. I wish there were even more men in figure skating.....so many of them at my rink only want to play hockey! Thanks for mentioning this!

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I haven't tried the menstrual cup but since so many people have recommended it here, I'm going to have to look into it! I have worn the Always thin pads and I do like those. As far as it shifting around, one of the contributors reminded me that I'll have tights on, which I totally forgot about so I think that will help it from shifting too much. Thank you.

I would definitely look into it. I wasn't a skater yet in my pre-cup days, but I was in college as a ballet major (so I get the tights and leo/performance concerns all too well), and if I had worked up the courage to try it instead of being scared of it for years I would have saved myself SO much trouble and some very embarrassing events. I'm not exaggerating at all when I say it's changed my life. I'd recommend checking out the Livejournal menstrual cup page for information before you buy, if you decide to go that way, since not all cups fit the same way (also there can be a learning curve and it's better to be prepared).

But if that doesn't work, I had success with the Always pads! They're pretty good.

edit: just realized I forgot to read page 3 before I posted, so I see the Always are giving you some issues... never mind that then. ;) I'll third the thinx suggestion though! I've heard good things about them although I've never tried them.

sarahspiral

Rinkside
I would definitely look into it. I wasn't a skater yet in my pre-cup days, but I was in college as a ballet major (so I get the tights and leo/performance concerns all too well), and if I had worked up the courage to try it instead of being scared of it for years I would have saved myself SO much trouble and some very embarrassing events. I'm not exaggerating at all when I say it's changed my life. I'd recommend checking out the Livejournal menstrual cup page for information before you buy, if you decide to go that way, since not all cups fit the same way (also there can be a learning curve and it's better to be prepared).

But if that doesn't work, I had success with the Always pads! They're pretty good.

edit: just realized I forgot to read page 3 before I posted, so I see the Always are giving you some issues... never mind that then. ;) I'll third the thinx suggestion though! I've heard good things about them although I've never tried them.

I am going to research the cup since so many of you have recommended it. The Always pads are good it's just that with some sizes of them, they can sometimes make a "crunching" sound when I walk but some people on here suggested the foam Always pads that they say don't make noise so I may try that if I decide against the cup. Thank You!

Arwen17

Final Flight
I've been using DivaCup (menstrual cup) for years now and haven't had to buy any tampons or pads anymore. While the cup may be pricey, it should last like 20 years or more. You're saving a ridiculous amount of money by not having to buy pads or tampons every month.

I did pads for years, but switched to plastic applicator tampons in college because I was sick of carrying a bloody bag around in my pants and it was giving me a rash from the rubbing. Then I switched to menstrual cup after learning they existed and haven't looked back. Menstrual cup is definitely the best solution in comfort, price, and environmental-friendliness.

I've met girls who stay with pads because they're afraid to put anything inside of them. But then I think "how in the world do you plan to have sex? Have a baby etc one day?" Menstrual cup is teeny tiny compared to having sex or having a baby. Plus, because I was already so comfortable with menstrual cup for years, it actually made me far less nervous about having sex for the first time, when the time came, because I was already familiar with that part of my body for a long time.

I'm also someone who uses a diaphragm for birth control instead of taking the pill or IUD or anything unnatural. --> https://hclfvegan.neocities.org/birth_control.html
I've been unprocessed-whole-foods high-carb-low-fat (HCLF) vegan for 4+ years now. (lost 80lbs in the first year and have maintained my weight.) I never drink, smoke, or take any drugs whatsoever. While my period flow is still heavy (a sign of fertility), I get far less cramps, acne, and other PMS-like symptoms. My period is also much more regular and predictable. Regular, steady periods are natural and a sign of good health, and we shouldn't "suppress" them just because we find them inconvenient.
And as far as keeping the blood contained, menstrual cups have the least amount of chemical substances in them, since its just a silicone cup. Pads and tampons have a ton of chemicals in them, to bleach them white etc. --> https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&q=chemicals+in+menstrual+pads