Daisuke Takahashi to Return to Competition | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Daisuke Takahashi to Return to Competition

Sorrento

Record Breaker
What if he achieves great result at the Nationals? I mean-sure they decide the World's team based on many aspects. But I truly wonder if they would question his ability to have a great Worlds comeback, even if he doesn't medal.
He said his plans so far are very modest. I sort of don't think that is what he truly wants. I think he wants the International success back in his life.

DorYiu

Let’s go crazy
On the Ice
I know this thread is a few days old already but I've English Subbed Dai-chan's first TV appearance after announcing return here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By7yWU6Tm64

(Click on the CC button to see the sub. This is uploaded as an unlisted video in a throwaway YT account of mine as I'm trying not to upload illegal stuff in my main YT account)

Thank you so much for that!
Last year Japanese Nat was really good, and many ppl cried for Yamamoto's performance (I did too.), I am so glad that Yamamoto's performance light up the fire inside Dai. I can't wait to see him in competitions.
I am guessing with Dai shown up in regional competition, we will be getting upgrades with the broadcasting :yay: (send the best camera crew please :hap93:)

russianfan

Match Penalty
Daisuke has proven that the Japanese can win when it comes to dramas. Eteri/Zhenia breakup whut? No one brings the drama like the Russians? Think again.

On a scale of wilding, this is truly the one that wins this offseason.

Wait until Yagudin says he wants to come back as well maybe.

Wait until Rodnina will come back to competing :biggrin:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
It’s going to be so wonderful to see him skate again. I doubt the quads will be there but that doesn’t matter, beautiful skating doesn’t require any quad.

Also while Dai has been underscored in some competitions, he's also been generously rewarded on PCS in spite of tech issues.

I mean, at his most recent competition, the 2014 Olympics, where he was 4th SP/6th LP/6th overall, he had the 12th best TES in the SP (and 3rd highest PCS). In the LP he had the 13th best TES (and 2nd highest PCS).

LOL, still trying to push this narrative. That’s how the scoring is supposed to work, when appropriate. TES and PCS are separate. Dai was hounded by phantom CoP tech issues more than almost any other skater to begin with, mostly importantly his non-prerotated jumps being wrongly hammered at times, because callers don’t know what they are doing and ISU still doesn’t want to clearly address it.

mikeko666

Final Flight
It's so nice to see the skater with superb skating skills, artistic curiosity and originality at competitions again. Olympic seasons are the most artistically boring ones. I was sick and tired of watching warhorses and recycled programs.

yude

Record Breaker
On the contrary to Daisuke T., Machida says he is retiring from professional skating to be focused on his postgraduate study and his part-time job as a university lecturer.
https://www.asahi.com/articles/ASL7D664FL7DUTQP03Y.html

And Machida talked a little about Daisuke's return.

"I think it is more of a chance for young skaters. Competing with an experienced veteran skater is the greatest opportunity for skaters who will play the role in the next generation, so I hope they are stimulated much, and I would rather like to give encouraging words to young skaters."

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20180713-00000102-spnannex-spo

KiraraChin

Medalist
Kazuki Tomono on Daisuke's return:
He’s a skater I’ve respected since I was little, but he’s a god-like figure that even now I haven’t caught up to… It’s a great honor that we may be able to compete together in the final group at Japanese Nationals. In order to become a skater who can fight and shine at the top of the world, I must practice with the feeling of overtaking Daisuke Takahashi
http://www.tvguide.or.jp/feature/kissandcry/20180711/01.html

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
A bit sad that Daisuke is not appearing at any challenger event, but he has to do his regionals/sectionals - if the comeback only lasts this season - and it looks likely, I am a bit sad there won't be a chance to see him out of Japan. :(

Danibellerika

Medalist
A bit sad that Daisuke is not appearing at any challenger event, but he has to do his regionals/sectionals - if the comeback only lasts this season - and it looks likely, I am a bit sad there won't be a chance to see him out of Japan. :(

I'm sure fans IN Japan feel the same considering that it's typically easier to get tickets abroad than domestically...

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Let's all feel united in misery, japanese and foreign fans alike....awww.....:sad4:It'll be a fight for tickets if Dai makes it to Nationals. I cannot even imagine.

Danibellerika

Medalist
Let's all feel united in misery, japanese and foreign fans alike....awww.....:sad4:It'll be a fight for tickets if Dai makes it to Nationals. I cannot even imagine.

I'm thinking about the potential for worlds as well. What a bloodbath. Would love to see him but I think it may be more frustrating to get tickets for that than it was to get tickets for the Olys and I was trying for good seats for that one for almost a year!

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
But he might stay longer if he does well and his body doesn't object? He didn't rule that out, did he? I mean if he's already got his 3A back at this point, then the sky's the limit for him. He won't be a multi-quad jumper of the Nathan or Shoma caliber, but one or two quads plus his PCS would surely help him to great results.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I think it depends on how he does with the Quad/s. In my heart, I don't believe he will do another season. It feels to me like he has his eyes on Worlds. He wants closure at the World Championships in Japan, he couldn't attend them in his home country in 2014. If he had been able to skate there and end his career then with a satisfying performance, maybe even a podium finish, I think he wouldn't have had the regrets that made him comeback. Of course, I would gladly be proven wrong and see him next season on the GP.....and or at a Challenger. And there is still that small hope he's going to be invited to NHK. At least a hope for japanese fans!

Mini-Daisuke's comment on his idol's return, translated by twitter user yawning_shoma:

“it’s a kind of strange feeling. I’m in a position where I can’t say much. as a fan, I’m excited to see Takahashi-senshuu’s performances. I really respect him for returning to compete after retiring.”

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
But he might stay longer if he does well and his body doesn't object? He didn't rule that out, did he? I mean if he's already got his 3A back at this point, then the sky's the limit for him. He won't be a multi-quad jumper of the Nathan or Shoma caliber, but one or two quads plus his PCS would surely help him to great results.

He said he wants his skating back for himself, but also because he felt guilty towards fans who came to see him at shows in the last couple of years. So it seems he wants to get back in top shape for his pro career too besides seeking the closure he was denied in 2014. I could be wrong, but from his recent interviews I got a feeling he needs the kick of competition and a palpable goal to work towards to be motivated enough to build his body back up. That goal seems to be short-term right now, but might be shifting depending on his results and what his body allows.

His knee was already acting up again (presumably from overtraining, although he did not say) when he did the floor dance show last year. I can't imagine it'll withstand the strain of jumping quads for more than one season, if he'll be able to do them at all (let alone more than one type). As much as I’d love to be proven wrong on that, in the end I personally don't care, if he ends up 3rd or 13th, I just wish him to get out of this comeback what he needs to move on. It's an incredible blessing we'll get to see him on competitive ice again at all. If it's only for one season and exclusively in Japan then so be it. (Just give us HD streams of Kinki Regionals and Western Sectionals please! :pray:)

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany

deedee1

Record Breaker
:hslap: Ah! Sorry, synesthesia, you already posted Keiji's comment here I didn't know that. Thanks. :eek::

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
:hslap: Ah! Sorry, synesthesia, you already posted Keiji's comment here I didn't know that. Thanks. :eek::

No worries, deedee! It doesn't hurt to have the same info in different places. Always happy to read you and grateful for the insights you're sharing with us! :agree: