Daisuke Takahashi to Return to Competition | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Daisuke Takahashi to Return to Competition

saphire

On the Ice
I thought this thread was about Daisuke Takahashi returning to competition, how did it become about criticizing Shoma?

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I'd rather discuss what Daisuke's two programs are going to be like. David Wilson and Richaud Benoit.....it's going to be interesting. David Wilson did The Garden of Souls, one of my favourite Daisuke programs.

I have no idea about choreo, but in terms of music, my bet is on something modern and out-of-the-box. That should be fun, he has the talent to make bold choices work.

Actually, I came back here in a sort of penitent mood because I was worrying here yesterday about slots and backing for the lesser known skaters. But I appreciated what Daisuke had to say about them, especially about how their Nats performances inspired him and that he has no intention of being a 'hindrance' for younger skaters. Classy of him. :thumbsup:

I might be misremembering, but I thought he did coach 1 or 2 younger female skaters in the Junior or Novice circuit?

Oh, how I wish he'd teach the 3A to those less fortunate in this particular field... :pray: I think he'd make a great coach for young male skaters one day.

edit: I'm sorry I'm going backwards on this thread and replying. Didn't mean to bomb the thread with my posts. Have to figure out how to combine them.

Use the 'Multiquote This Message' button that's next to Reply With Quote. Works fine for me. :]

mikeko666

Final Flight
I just hope Daisuke don't do another repeat... or war horse, otherwise there's truly no hope... I need him to be a Jedi!!

Unlike some skaters, he never recycled his program to next season even when his fans wanted him to. Many fans wanted him to keep the Invierno Porteño/Primavera Porteña FS from 2010-2011 to next season, but he got Blues for Klook instead.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Unlike some skaters, he never recycled his program to next season even when his fans wanted him to. Many fans wanted him to keep the Invierno Porteño/Primavera Porteña FS from 2010-2011 to next season, but he got Blues for Klook instead.

He even ditched new programs when he thought they didn't work. See Rock'n'Roll Medley/Moonlight Sonata. And as far as I understand it he will come back for this season only. No way it's going to be a warhorse. And if it is, it's going to be like his Swan Lake. Warhorse, reloaded.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I thought this thread was about Daisuke Takahashi returning to competition, how did it become about criticizing Shoma?

True. Criticizing Shoma is really Off Topic here but you know how popular Shomita is. :luv17:

Back on Topic. I am at work back to reality with an order to my day. This past weekend was like
I was thrown into another worldly reality with the Dai news. :)

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker

Uhmm sorry I spoilt the mood a little, but I think to make comparable analysis is completely valid even if not appreciated. Skaters take 1 step forward, 2 steps back all the time especially when use warhorses/safe choices/repeats, that is why skaters like Daisuke is a complete diamond.

saphire

On the Ice
Why is it assumed that Dai would bring back old programs or a warhorse?. He was working on new programs with Benoit Richaud and the music they used were not warhorse music (at least I would characterize it that way)

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I find the overreaction to call Shoma mini Daisuke rather touchy and funny... as if it is the first time it has been mentioned on the forum or anywhere - As if it is the worst possible criticism one can possibly have in this sport - to be known as the successor to the great Takahashi. Are you kidding? It is practically a compliment.

As for the repeats and warhorse, Shoma has not shown to have half of the artistic maverick as Takahashi. Nor has he managed to rise above the immitation stage to have developed his own original figure skating style/voice/language that warrants some of these PCS scores. As shown at last worlds, he could have had an absolute disaster, music timing completely off by the end, but his PCS still does not move from 9s. If you chose to play safe, and benefit from lenient calls and heavy Federation propping, don't be surprised there will always be purist call you up on it.

The generous 9s have all certainly made me the less sympathetic watcher, especially already receiving 94 in PCS in his 2nd season Pre-Olympics, something Hanyu or Patrick took years to achieve. To give you some idea, Dai's Blues for Klook at worlds 12 received 85 PCS only. In any case, Dai has always been judged to a higher and strict standard especially when he falters, which is how all skaters should be judged. The biggest deterrents to his comeback will be federation politics, inconsistent standards based on outdated benchmarking, more so than what how he actually did - starting from home. I sincerely hope he wouldn ends up like Wakaba next season, get lost in the shuffle despite superior performances/programs.

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
I find the overreaction to call Shoma mini Daisuke rather touchy and funny... as if it is the first time it has been mentioned on the forum or anywhere - As if it is the worst possible criticism one can possibly have in this sport - to be known as the successor to the great Takahashi. Are you kidding? It is practically a compliment.

People are quite obviously not bothered because they think being compared to Daisuke is a bad thing. People are bothered because there's this tendency to call younger skaters "copies" of old ones in a way that downplays the younger skater's individuality and reduces them to "imitator" rather than their own person. For example, when Tara Lipinski said Deniss Vasiljevs was "a little Lambiel" I was a little bothered but not outright offended... until she followed that up with "but a copy is never as good as the original."

MaiKatze

Record Breaker

As for the repeats and warhorse, Shoma has not shown to be half of the artistic maverick as Takahashi. Nor has he managed to rise above the immitation stage to have developed his own original figure skating style/voice/language that warrants some of these PCS scores. As shown at last worlds, he could have had an absolute disaster, music timing completely off by the end, but his PCS still does not move from 9s. If you chose to play safe, and benefit from lenient calls and heavy Federation propping, don't be surprised there will always be purist call you up on it.

The generous 9s have all certainly made me the less sympathetic watcher, especially already receiving 94 in PCS in his 2nd season Pre-Olympics, something Hanyu or Patrick took years to achieve. To give you some idea, Dai's Blues for Klook at worlds 12 received 85 PCS only. In any case, Dai has always been judged to a higher and strict standard especially when he falters, which is how all skaters should be judged. The biggest deterrents to his comeback will be the federation politics, inconsistent standards based on outdated benchmarking, more so than what how he actually did - starting from home. It may very well he ends up like Wakaba next season, get lost in the shuffle which is what I am dreading.

It's not calling him a Mini Daisuke that's the problem, Shoma loves Daisuke and never denied that. But it is hard to deny that he has outgrown that, and no matter what one might think of his jumps, he has a technical arsenal that Daisuke never had, because in that earlier era (which started for Daisuke in the 6.0 times), that wasn't needed.

I don't know for me personally a program like Loco is not a Daisuke program, sorry. Daisuke was always underscored in PCS even in his heyday. Nathan Chen is now getting also over 90 PCS. You shouldn't compare because we live in different times now. It's similar to currency, speaking in financial terms. It's simply a currency fall. We're getting new rules and different judging anyway, next season and let's just wait until Daisuke competed a few times. We don't know what he's going to do, what his form and technical arsenal is going to be like and to say he's going to be held back and underscored just because Shoma is there, is premature.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I don't care about all these things..just hoping to see Daisuke again. And if he can't get the points we want him to? I couldn't care less. I'll still love his skating.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Sigh...so many posts in unrelated threads dedicated to criticizing the component marks that the judges give or the calls that the technical panel makes. We get it but we already have numerous threads that are dedicated to discussing various component marks, new scale of values, etc. that we don't need to spend 3+ pages discussing those type of topics here. In this thread, we should be considerate that many posters aren't here for that type of discussion.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Sigh...so many posts in unrelated threads dedicated to criticizing the component marks that the judges give or the calls that the technical panel makes. We get it but we already have numerous threads that are dedicated to discussing various component marks, new scale of values, etc. that we don't need to spend 3+ pages discussing those type of topics here. In this thread, we should be considerate that many posters aren't here for that type of discussion.

Well somebody better change the thread title into a Dai fanfest only then, since the discussion on competition and competitors are apparently not welcomed in a figures skating board.

Well somebody better change the thread title into a Dai fanfest only then, since the discussion on competition and competitors are apparently not welcomed in a figures skating board.

My favourite part is that you brought up Shoma's supposed similarity to Daisuke, and all the other stuff was you replying to people who kept quoting you. If they didn't want to discuss it, they could have just... not.

I agree with your opinions, and found them useful, FWIW.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Why are people getting hung up over Dai's PCS without even seeing him skate or seeing his programs? He could be super competitive, he could not be... but the point is he's skating for the enjoyment and challenge and it's too early to jump to conclusions and how this should affect other skaters' marks.

Also while Dai has been underscored in some competitions, he's also been generously rewarded on PCS in spite of tech issues.

I mean, at his most recent competition, the 2014 Olympics, where he was 4th SP/6th LP/6th overall, he had the 12th best TES in the SP (and 3rd highest PCS). In the LP he had the 13th best TES (and 2nd highest PCS).

Izabela

On the Ice
I don't know for me personally a program like Loco is not a Daisuke program, sorry. Daisuke was always underscored in PCS even in his heyday. Nathan Chen is now getting also over 90 PCS. You shouldn't compare because we live in different times now. It's similar to currency, speaking in financial terms. It's simply a currency fall. We're getting new rules and different judging anyway, next season and let's just wait until Daisuke competed a few times. We don't know what he's going to do, what his form and technical arsenal is going to be like and to say he's going to be held back and underscored just because Shoma is there, is premature.

Let's take out Shoma from this discussion, but it will really be a bizarre and somewhat peculiar situation in Daisuke's case if he's suddenly held up in PCS mainly based on reputation because during his competitive days, as you've mentioned, he was mostly underscored in that department (2010 Vancouver and 2012 WC as example top of my head). It's a different situation with Carolina and Patrick where their PCS have been put into question since 2008 and 2011-2018 respectively. If the skaters nowadays are given 9s even when their programs don't really deserve it, I wonder what kind of conversation we will be having if Daisuke hit those 9s too or when he could only get 8s despite a lights out performance (moreso considering he experienced exactly that). I think what OS wants to say (I'm not exactly sure if this is their point) is that it will be truly telling about how arbitrary and manufactured the PC scoring is if we have another veteran not getting those 9s or least getting higher scores when we are defining PCS nowadays as simply about reputation rankings and mostly connected to TES. If he is held up because of reputation, what does that say to the system? If he is held down because his TES doesn't match the younger skaters, what does that say to the system?

Again, Daisuke's return serves a unique example here when it comes to how program components are being marked nowadays because even though he is mostly known for his artistry, his PCS didn't really reflect that kind of reputation and doesn't have the history of being held up for that reason; yet if he is held up in this area based on reputation, is it really wrong or is just there to balance the playing field? How will ISU deal with it? I wouldn't want him to be held up in PCS and I wouldn't want him to be low-balled as well, but it's an interesting thought process.

However, that doesn't take away the fact that we don't know for sure yet, or if Daisuke will even reach the international arena to be able to make this kind of what-if scenario into solid conversation. So in the end, truce?