Daisuke Takahashi to Return to Competition | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Daisuke Takahashi to Return to Competition

annemn

Rinkside
He’s been away for years, I doubt they’ll give him a bye, but we’ll know soon enough. But honestly, even if he does do Regionals, I don’t see how he could fail to qualify for Nationals. :)

Thanks - yeah, makes sense we'll have to wait and see. I'm sure he'll qualify, I was just thinking it would be amazing as a young skater to show up to regionals and there's Daisuke freaking Takahashi! :laugh:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Is it my birthday? Pinch me, I am sure I am dreaming!

What stellar news! :yahoo: I have always been a huge fan of Dai's, ever since I watched him win SA with that hip hop Swan Lake SP :love:

He is one of the guys who do not have to jump to mesmerize an audience!!!

Now Nobu, please come back too!

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
My thoughts on this news are in a turmoil at this point. I too had to check if it was really July and not April 1, and then after I checked that it's indeed July 1, there was an onslaught of contradictory feelings. I loved Daisuke's skating back when he was competitive, and was a fan. I have a sneaking suspicion I'll still like his new programs a lot when I see them, and that I'll root for him. There's also curiosity why he chose to return; could it be the rules change? his discontent with his final year as someone mentioned? or simply his love for competitive skating was too great that he decided to give it one more try? And lastly, there was sadness on my part, because I've come to care for a bunch of underdogs on team Japan in the meantime, who are in so much need of some pushing by the Fed to build PCS and reputation foundations for their further career. And now it looks like that will not be coming, unless they upgrade their tech to crazy heights which is very risky and very difficult. It looks like the NHK spot is decided now then. At least the fight for the spot of Japan's #3 man is going to be thrilling.
One thing is for sure. This offseason is the most :jaw: one in my memory.

GGFan

Record Breaker
I'm still processing this wonderful news :hap93:

I finally decide to get back on GS after a break and I get this! If anyone was coming back I thought it would have been Oda.

I cannot wait to see these PROGRAMS! That's all I care about--the choreography and the commitment will be stellar :dance:

Bel

On the Ice
What a wonderful news for a Sunday morning! I'm so happy :yahoo::hap93: We're so lucky to get to see his amazing skating again. Just enjoy! :yay:

Alchamei

Record Breaker
I doubt it, I think he announced his retirement from pro skating a few weeks ago to focus completely on his study/career.
Edit: of course it would be awesome, still. After all, we didn’t expect Dai-Chan to make this surprise come-back, lol!

My answer wasn't supposed to be serious, I thought you'd get it...

Alchamei

Record Breaker
I just realized what's the best thing about it. Shoma might be finally able to skate against his long time idol, who retired just when Shoma was making it big on internation stage. Of course I don't think Shoma will have a goal of beating him, but it must be such a pleasure to compete alongside your idol.

sakurano

Final Flight
This is good news I hope it will work, I wondered why he was in Courchevel in the Mishin camp I have my answer.

Danny T

Medalist
JFC SHOOKETH :dbana:

(he'd probably want to go to home worlds, he was really regretful about missing it in 2014, but of course that depends on how far his training progresses, which is why the message is vague about what kind of comp i suppose)

(ok while we're at it skating gods, bring the japanese big 3 dai taka nobu back as a whole)

(...and uh since everything can happen now, can we get back pro competition so i can relive the turin-vancouver quad)

saphire

On the Ice
I just heard. OMG is this real or has Dai's site been hacked??????.

He has been in France for about a week getting a new program choreographed by Benoit silly
me thought it was new exhibition program.

that is what we all thought for the shows in August. To think some of us were worried that he was going to retire from skating all together like Tatsuki.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I'm seeing some photos from the press conference hall. No Dai yet, but it's going to be soon. No live stream that I can see. Just some tweets from journalists who are there.

Szeptuszka

On the Ice
Wow, what an off-season! :eeking: :eeking: :eeking:

I hope Daisuke has a great season. Aiming for the podium won't be easy in the era of quadsters, but his artistry is a class of the field and will be an inspiration to many. :thumbsup:

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
This is such a fever dream I don't even remember if I commented when I read these news this morning, but I'll do so now: welcome back, Dai!!

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ummm what? Is this a April fools joke? Post Olympic seasons are always a bit weird with depleted fields meaning skaters winning World titles or medals that they never come close to winning again as the depth gets built up again but this takes the cake. Maybe Joubert and Plushenko can come back too. :eek:

lichi

sui holding a deep edge
On the Ice
Off-season :drama:

Because he specifically mentioned Nationals, does that mean he isn't doing GP Series? Maybe a Senior B if he wants to maybe go to Worlds? I somehow doubt that he's actually doing a GP. Also, I'm not completely sure, but does the comeback clause apply to him?

Edit; I reread the comeback clause, it would apply to him. I think this means that he won't be doing GP. This decision obviously wasn't made on a whim, and if he wished to compete in GP, then he would've gotten a spot in the assignments.

ayame

Rinkside
Read the notice at 5AM and was sure my Japanese had failed me so I went back to sleep, woke up and... Wow. Thank you, skating gods :yahoo:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Woah, what the what?!

This Off Season needs to go home it's drunk.

But seriously, I hope Dai has a great season and gets to Japanese Nats!