Daisuke Takahashi to Return to Competition | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Daisuke Takahashi to Return to Competition

Interspectator

Record Breaker
https://twitter.com/vividviolet3513/status/1013390426210881536 A little bit from NHK broadcast.
I'm just translating the basics, but he says he found he can't be without skating. ...Previously, he'd skated to meet expectations etc, but this time it's just for himself, thought it's selfish, that is what he wants.

Note that there's a ton of cutting to this little clip. So before dissecting his words, know there's probably a lot more he said that was left out so this segment could fit in the news package of NHK.

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
So strange to see Daisuke back to competitions. With all due respect for a great skater like him, i hope this return don't cloud the rise of Tomono for the third japanese spot.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
So strange to see Daisuke back to competitions. With all due respect for a great skater like him, i hope this return don't cloud the rise of Tomono for the third japanese spot.

Why should it? The spot does not belong to anyone. As far as I know there are other contenders for the third spot not only Tomono.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20180701-00000234-sph-spo
A more comprehensive article from the press conference.

I'm not going to translate this because I'm pretty sure a detailed and accurate translation will appear soon from more capable fans, it has a lot to do with his feelings and I'm rubbish at translating that. :laugh:

But some solid information:
-His goal is Nationals
-He's not thinking about doing international competitions at the moment, though his feelings may change. He's more interested to see how far he can get in Japan
-His hope is to jump 2 kinds of quads, two times (laugh) Note: it says bitter laugh but that's too harsh for what it's usually used for, knowing Daisuke in interview situations, I'm going to guess it's a bashful laugh.
-The possibility of Worlds: He's not thinking about it at the moment. "But if, IF, mind you, there was a chance, I'd think about it then make a decision. I don't want to be a hindrance to younger skaters."
-From a different article, but Dai's plan is to compete for one season. https://twitter.com/mainichi/status/1013406413622611970
-Also from a different article, Dai's SP is by David Wilson, FS by Benoit Richaud https://twitter.com/WFS_JP/status/1013409652149637120

Last edited:

ktmsrkn

Rinkside
Wow:shocked:. I knew this from coverage in the evening TV news.
His coming back looks quite timely with the new rules.
I can't wait to see his step sequence again.

Seruleane

Final Flight
My first thought was this was a joke thread, but I'm glad to be proven wrong. Dai coming back would be amazing!!! I agree he would do well under the new rules. Also it's nice to see how many fans he has :)

Weathergal

Medalist
I think I actually gasped in surprise and delight when I read this last night. I am so happy to hear this! Daisuke is one of my all-time favorite skaters. If you asked me which skater I missed most after their retirement, it would be him (with Stephane Lambiel, Kurt Browning, and Michelle Kwan a close second).

Best wishes for a comeback that brings him true satisfaction - whatever form that might take!

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I appreciate when someone loves skating so much they can't stay away. :thumbsup: Has Takahashi ever mentioned he'd consider coaching? I think he'd be a great coach after he re-retires.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Last edited:

icybear

Medalist
LMAO what's next? Plushenko coming out of retirement and landing all sorts of quads and putting Russian men back on top?

mrrice

Record Breaker
LMAO what's next? Plushenko coming out of retirement and landing all sorts of quads and putting Russian men back on top?

Don't even joke about that....:drama: I could see Patrick deciding to delay retirement for a season just so they can go head to head one more time.....

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
https://twitter.com/TeamKISSandCry/status/1013387034222723072 Ok, solid news, he wants to go through the Kinki sectionals (regionals?) and do his utmost to get to Nationals.
"There is nothing left to lose"

Yes, basically he chooses to go through the local competitions to get to All Japan National at the moment. So the requirement is to attend Kinki Blog (Regionals), getting qualified and then Western sectionals to make it to Nationals.

Kinki Regionals (近畿選手権大会)
Oct 5-8, 2018
@Amagasaki city near Osaka

Western Sectionals (第44回西日本選手権大会 第35回西日本ジュニア選手権大会)
Nov. 1-4, 2018
@Nagoya, Aichi

Yes! There's nothing to lose and go for it, Dai-chan!!

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
These are going to be the most closely watched regionals of all time. By the entire world. :p

ETA, is it true he's coming back for 1 season only?