Daisuke Takahashi to Return to Competition | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Daisuke Takahashi to Return to Competition

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Daisuke Takahashi is aiming at performing two kinds of quads twice in free and he is already capable of landing the triple axel jump, which he has been practicing with his former coach. This challenge is limited to one season and domestic competitions only. I think he can beat Keiji Tanaka and reach the podium at the Japanese Nationals.

Rule change next season: skaters can no longer perform two repeated quads in free. He can repeat one quad, repeat 3A, and do a second quad - but he can’t repeat two quads.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
There is a huge typo in the Japanese original article, he said his jumps were almost better than those in the latter of his past competitive career, not "better than the younger skaters.". Japanese journalist heard him wrong and wrote "後輩 (kohai)", but correct word is "後半" (kohan). I hope the writer will fix this as soon as possible because the meaning is very different.

I watched this part on TV by accident last night, and other Daisuke's fans also pointed out the typo, so I believe I am right ;)

I knew it was a typo when I read it because Dai would never say such a thing.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Whaaaaaarrrt............................................ Sugoi ..........:yahoo:

okay everyone's pcs need to drop by at least 1 point already!!

risingtrot

On the Ice
So happy to hear him coming back to competition. I feel the whole time he was trying to find himself after retirement. He has done a lot of hosting and news stints but I guess something was missing. I am happy he is doing this for himself~ He is such a dynamic and versatile skater.

Hopefully I can see him skate live in competitions this time. I am very sure competition tickets will just become more difficult to get and its already so difficult to get even for locals.

Izabela

On the Ice
Been trying to process this news since yesterday and some part of me still can't believe that Daisuke is coming back to compete. This is probably the wildest off-season news for me (please anyone, if you are planning on dropping a bombshell, do it now), but in the end, I'm thoroughly happy for him and on his decision to come back. Come backs tend to be a failure than they are a great success, but we can't really take away a desire from a skater, with a career as troubled as Daisuke, to want to end it in his own terms (and hopefully on a high note), and not because of injuries or circumstances he couldn't control.

I can't wait to see his programs this season with Wilson and Benoit. :yahoo:

(Ok, I love that my 200th post went for Mao and my 400th post for Daisuke LOL)

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
Why should it? The spot does not belong to anyone. As far as I know there are other contenders for the third spot not only Tomono.
Sure but, you know, it is a fed choice who select, is not always an effect of a single result.

Obviously, even if Tomono's result at the last worlds was decisive for secure that third spot, he need to prove to be consistent and growing, and if someone else, may be Takahashi or Tanaka, manage to did clearly better then there's no question at all, but anywhere at nationals there is always a risk that some skaters happen to be selected before the competition starting and their points boosted. The reputation also help.

I just think that there is a possibility to see both reach the same range of points and then the choice, if Daisuke change his mind over that chance to be at worlds, may become between select a younger talent or celebrate a great athlete, at home, because this season the worlds are in Japan.

Just my two cents. Wasn't my purpose to discuss Daisuke's choice, not at all. I just hope that Tomono manage to reinforce his position, as Tanaka is very inconsistent and Mura retired.

asiacheetah

On the Ice
Whaaaaaarrrt............................................ Sugoi ..........:yahoo:

okay everyone's pcs need to drop by at least 1 point already!!

Why? Did somehow Daisuke returning to competition managed to make everyone's PCS worsen?

I know you are kidding (I hope) but this rubbed me the wrong way.

asiacheetah

On the Ice
Yes, basically he chooses to go through the local competitions to get to All Japan National at the moment. So the requirement is to attend Kinki Blog (Regionals), getting qualified and then Western sectionals to make it to Nationals.

Kinki Regionals (近畿選手権大会)
Oct 5-8, 2018
@Amagasaki city near Osaka

Western Sectionals (第44回西日本選手権大会 第35回西日本ジュニア選手権大会)
Nov. 1-4, 2018
@Nagoya, Aichi

Yes! There's nothing to lose and go for it, Dai-chan!!

I'm pretty sure he has to go to through regionals in order to reach national since he can't get a bye from previous season results. I think Mao had to do that as well when she came back.

Edit: someone answered earlier to the same thing.

asiacheetah

On the Ice
I appreciate when someone loves skating so much they can't stay away. :thumbsup: Has Takahashi ever mentioned he'd consider coaching? I think he'd be a great coach after he re-retires.

I might be misremembering, but I thought he did coach 1 or 2 younger female skaters in the Junior or Novice circuit?

asiacheetah

On the Ice
I doubt it, I think he announced his retirement from pro skating a few weeks ago to focus completely on his study/career.
Edit: of course it would be awesome, still. After all, we didn’t expect Dai-Chan to make this surprise come-back, lol!

Alchamei means YOI creators were sad about Machida retiring from competitive figure skating back in 2015 or 2016 can't remember when.

edit: I'm sorry I'm going backwards on this thread and replying. Didn't mean to bomb the thread with my posts. Have to figure out how to combine them.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
I'm pretty sure he has to go to through regionals in order to reach national since he can't get a bye from previous season results. I think Mao had to do that as well when she came back.

That's right Dai HAS to go through domestic competitions in order to advance to national...this is the requirement from JSF. But for Mao's case, she was away from competition for only one year, and when she returned, she was invited to Japan Open (which weaved her from regional) and used the 'coming-back' status for GP competitions (which elevated her to 'special-strengthened' athletes managed by JSF and hence weaved her from sectional). Supposedly this could also work for Daisuke at the moment. But I think it's a wise choice for him to not rush into international competitions right away and just plan for domestic competitions and see how everything will go.

(However, I also want to add that to have him in regionals/sectionals can also cause 'troubles' for local competition organizers: these local competitions do NOT sell tickets (except for Western sectionals) and usually do not have major media covering them. So if the local competitions do not want to deal with those complications, I'd wonder if JSF might step in for coordination and 'upgrade' Daisuke to international competitions...) NB: I think a more similar case is the return of Miki Ando's in 13-14 season, in order to compete for a spot for Sochi Oly team. Miki had to switch to Kanto region and competed for regionals there, advanced to Eastern sectionals and finally made it to Nationals. I still recalled her attendance at Kanto regionals caused some 'turbulence' simply because of her entering into the competition.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Why? Did somehow Daisuke returning to competition managed to make everyone's PCS worsen?

I know you are kidding (I hope) but this rubbed me the wrong way.

You are right, it should be 2 or more, especially when Nathen, Kolyada are getting 9s these days according to some judges, despite not putting out the performances that deserve these marks.

PCS is out of 10 maximum, so to give it meaning, it needs to be judged on a relative basis depending on who else is doing what in the field. If you have someone way ahead of everyone else, the other marks need to be calibrated relatively to ensure enough gap reflect the difference in quality, otherwise, a score of 9.0 is completely meaningless. It is the same reason why they had to extend to GOEs, to separate the quality of so many +3s which gotten ridiculous. It was the reason PCS inflation is completely unfair to people like Patrick Chan when everyone is getting 9s but clearly many differs in quality. There need to be scope in the sport to allow skaters compete through PCS, but is made impossible due to these recent years of PCS inflation on a maxed out scale value.

With Dai coming back, depends on the marking trends/faux pas, we may see PCS extend to 15 - 20 scales next season (or factored) to readdress the balance offset by all the GOEs increase (60%) this season under TES.

lichi

sui holding a deep edge
On the Ice
You are right, it should be 2 or more, especially when Nathen, Kolyada are getting 9s these days according to some judges, despite not putting out the performances that deserve these marks.

PCS is out of 10 maximum, so to give it meaning, it needs to be judged on a relative basis depending on who else is doing what in the field. If you have someone way ahead of everyone else, the other marks need to be calibrated relatively to ensure enough gap reflect the difference in quality, otherwise, a score of 9.0 is completely meaningless. It is the same reason why they had to extend to GOEs, to separate the quality of so many +3s which gotten ridiculous. It was the reason PCS inflation is completely unfair to people like Patrick Chan when everyone is getting 9s but clearly many differs in quality. There need to be scope in the sport to allow skaters compete through PCS, but is made impossible due to these recent years of PCS inflation on a maxed out scale value.

With Dai coming back, depends on the marking trends/faux pas, we may see PCS extend to 15 - 20 scales next season (or factored) to readdress the balance offset by all the GOEs increase (60%) this season under TES.

I don't know how the math works, but would TES increase or decrease with the new GOE scale? Considering the lowering of the BV, TES may decrease if the judges rarely give out +4s or +5s. Of course, they'll probably give out +2s or +3s like candy (like the current Ladies field).

asiacheetah

On the Ice

Oh you WERE being serious. PCS inflation by the judges is on ISU itself. As we can see with Patrick, Yuzu, and Javi's inclusion in the competitive field, PCS for the skaters you listed still happened so I'm not sure how you can really make a case that because Daisuke's back, everyone's PCS needs to be lowered. Dai had comparable PCS to Patrick if I recall, but regularly got lower ones depending on the skate.

Yes the PCS inflation of the last few years should be checked, but there's nothing much we can do about it other than complain.

Shanshani

On the Ice
I don't know how the math works, but would TES increase or decrease with the new GOE scale? Considering the lowering of the BV, TES may decrease if the judges rarely give out +4s or +5s. Of course, they'll probably give out +2s or +3s like candy (like the current Ladies field).

TES will go up among top skaters, except in men's because they're losing a jumping pass. Tech advancement should offset that loss though, so I expect men to be setting TES records again within a couple of seasons.

charlotte14

Medalist

If we do not talk about the judging issue, Daisuke has to prove that he deserve high PCS first. Just saying after years out of competitions, from the practice video, he looks slower than juniors now. People mistake that skating skills and presentation skills stay the same but in reality these skills can go down after a long time without intense practicing. I would be blunt here, if Dai perfomed with the same sluggish he showed on the practice video, I would give him no more 8.5 for PCS.